Notices

Are you a "visiting quest"

Old 09-05-2016, 01:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Are you a "visiting quest"

I was looking at the first page of the forums and I noticed the number of members and the number of non members that were online. There were 16 registered members and 276 visiting guests. That's quite a high proportion of visitors. I'm sure that this has something to do with the time of day (around 4 AM east coast of the US). Still I found myself wondering who all you "guests" are and why you're here. I wondered what you think of the things covered in the forums and if you have a concern for yourself or perhaps for a family member. How long have you been reading here, and how often to you visit?

Anyway, I thought I would open this thread and encourage you to open an account. Then, if you would be so kind, please come back to this thread and share a little about yourself. Ask a few questions perhaps. Sometimes getting started takes a little encouragement. So here it is!

It's close to bedtime for me, but I'll be back. I'm sure others will be around to welcome you and answer questions.

In any event, welcome!
Old 09-05-2016, 02:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have wondered the same thing...joining this forum has given me so much information, education, accountability, and support.
It's a good place and is run really well.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's like this on pretty much every forum for some reason. I think it's mainly from people doing google searches on topics, reading up on the matches, then going on, or perhaps just like to read the forum, but don't like to post.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

After drinking irresponsibly for 30 odd years, I'm convinced that finding SR and all the support right here has saved my life.

As such I visit every single day without fail and more often than not several times a day.

I rarely log on though so I appear as a guest on the "users online".
It's possible that many others do the same?

That's not to take anything away from the thought behind this thread; it's a lovely idea and I hope someone new joins the family as a result, so thank you for starting it! :-)
Old 09-05-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

pretty sure it reflects the nature of addiction.... denial... silent 'attempts'... recurrent relapses... private recognition of a need to stop.... lonely, miserable research during despairing times... isolating yet yearning to escape.... seeking a way out but not yet ready to stand up and say it.... hiding shamefully in the shadows....

I suspect many 'visiting guests' come and go like the shadows themselves. Then, over time, some re-visit. Then some join and become 'members'. Then, an even-lesser amount begin to post and to share and within that group, a smaller-still group recovers.

As it is in the rooms - where we often see someone stagger in, beaten and despairing.... only to disappear again. Sometimes forever.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Welcome to all!
Old 09-05-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What a great idea for a thread. I think I probably came across this forum a few years back and looked around. I expect I was drunk and lonely and reading with a hand over one eye, (only way I could focus when drunk).
If you can relate to this or anything you read here, you are welcome to join us.
xx
Old 09-05-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I read this site for 6 months before I joined. I was petrified of losing my anonymity. But it got to the point where I didn't care if I lost my anonymity because I needed help.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

off topic, but just to say i LOVE the way 'visiting guest' is 'visiting quest' in the title!

welcome to all questers and guests.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by fini View Post
off topic, but just to say i LOVE the way 'visiting guest' is 'visiting quest' in the title!

welcome to all questers and guests.
We are all on a quest!
Old 09-05-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
AA Member

my wife is really into facebook

and she never posts anything
Old 09-05-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I read this site for 6 months before I joined. I was petrified of losing my anonymity. But it got to the point where I didn't care if I lost my anonymity because I needed help.
same for me. not so much here as AA. I was at that same point.

as said...often I will come on and read without logging in if I have nothing to say.

great topic
Old 09-05-2016, 09:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I will admit I clicked on this post to find out what the quest was.:-)

I think this is a great idea, we all found SR at a moment when we were feeling scared, and lost. I am so grateful for the support I have found on this community.