Notices

So about 3 weeks sober. Ups and downs. Still struggle.

Old 09-04-2016, 10:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So about 3 weeks sober. Ups and downs. Still struggle.

So today is about 3 weeks sober. Physically feeling good most of the time. Emotionally it's been a mixed bag with higher ups and lower lows than when I was drinking. That's to be expected as alcohol numbs you to all your emotions good and bad. When it's bad though I struggle and I have to say that I always feel like this is a temporary state, that I'm just going to head back to drinking again at some point, though I haven't slipped yet. I've come close a few times and choose to binge eat instead of drink feeling that I needed something of a release.

On the plus side I sleep much more peacefully now, and I'm less anxious some of the time. Though the depression and loneliness makes up for that on the negative side. I put on almost 20 lbs when drinking those months however I needed to anyway. I was too skinny at 147lbs and 6'1 tall. That being said I think I have an eating disorder as everyone tells me I look amazing now but I just want to get back to 147.

I've always been an ultra perfectionist to the point of harming myself I guess the weight thing is just part of that.

I started running again today and man I'm out of shape compared to where I was before the drinking became heavy. Months ago I was running 4km a day 5 days a week rain or shine. I just did my 4k run and it took a lot out of me, out of breath legs hurting, bronchial pain (might be exercise induced asthma?). And my time sucks ass, but I did it. Another plus is that on my holiday to the rockies I did a 38km (~23.6 miles) hike in 8 hours. Longer than I've ever done before. So despite the run really sucking I guess I'm still in not bad shape. Would like to do a hard hike tomorrow.

Still. There is this nagging feeling. A lingering sadness. Depression and fear, anxiety, disadisfaction with life that is always eating at me. I think I need to find someone, a companion, as the loneliness is one of my greatest triggers have never been in a relationship though. And I don't wish for a codependent relationship, the only model I know well from my parents.

I worry constantly that I will succumb to a death by a thousand pricks and drink again just due to emotional exhaustion.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here Smilax & congratulations on 3 week sobriety......be kind to yourself....you are not alone in this!
Old 09-04-2016, 11:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Still. There is this nagging feeling. A lingering sadness. Depression and fear, anxiety, disadisfaction with life that is always eating at me. I think I need to find someone, a companion, as the loneliness is one of my greatest triggers have never been in a relationship though. And I don't wish for a codependent relationship, the only model I know well from my parents.

I worry constantly that I will succumb to a death by a thousand pricks and drink again just due to emotional exhaustion.
I worried about that too - I think I had an innate belief that I would never be able to stop drinking and more than that that I was unworthy of a sober life ...but I was wrong on both counts.

as far as that 'is there all there is feeling' goes...stay with it. Three weeks is great - but it's a little too soon to expect the kind of life change that recovery brings.

We drank for years - it takes a little time for us to grow into who we really are

Have faith

D
Old 09-04-2016, 11:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^ Congrats on 3 weeks
Old 09-05-2016, 12:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say that I'm also at three weeks (well I guess now it's technically 22 days but close enough), and I can definitely relate where you're coming from. The lows are definitely low.... just trying to take it one day at a time.
Old 09-05-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

3 Weeks is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 09-05-2016, 01:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. On a longish 25km walk around the city today. Not doing the mountain hike I had planned because it's cloudy. But decided I should force myself out for a long walk anyway even though I'm not feeling the greatest.
Old 09-05-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smilax - going for a walk is a great idea. I think I'm going to get back on the walking/running train... I really neglected a lot of physical activity due to either drinking or being too hungover. Hope you're doing well today.
Old 09-05-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Smilax,

I just hit my 30 day today and am feeling blah and melancholy myself. Thought I would feel at least a bit of pride or excitement, but guess not. Don't have much for advice, just wanted to say I totally understand.

SF
Old 09-05-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not uncommon to plateau a little when hitting a milestone.

Keep your recovery active and you'll get through this.
I hope you'll feel better as the week goes on Summerfall
Old 09-05-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It's not uncommon to plateau a little when hitting a milestone.

Keep your recovery active and you'll get through this.
I hope you'll feel better as the week goes on Summerfall
Thanks Dee! went for a nice long drive and feel a bit better.