Notices

3rd day sober, zero appetite

Old 09-02-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3rd day sober, zero appetite

Today is day 3 sober, I actually have no desire to drink (alcohol or anything else). Or eat. Zero appetite at all.

This is very unusual for me, I've always had cravings like a pregnant woman see an ad on tv for a new burger, and would often drive down to get it. (This is before I drank daily and when I only drank at night). After I started drinking throughout the day I never gave into those cravings because I never drove after drinking (which had become an all-day thing).

But always kept my fridge/pantry stocked with food I loved, and ingredients I needed to cook them. Craving lasagna... I'd whip one up. Even when I drank most heavily I was able to put together good meals for myself and my husband. I'm a bit overweight but force myself to portion-control (which leaves more leftovers to look forward to tomorrow.)

But for some reason for the first time in my life I crave nothing, I don't want to eat or drink anything. I'm forcing myself to drink tea with sugar to keep some sugar in my blood, but can't think of anything I want to force myself to eat.

Is this common when first going sober? What has others done about it? I don't feel nauseous or anything, just like I don't want anything. Can anyone suggest any foods that's good to feed someone with no appetite? Or should I just fast today and maybe appetite will be back tomorrow?
Old 09-02-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Human

I've read that appetite can disappear in the beginning, but as the days go on your body will start wanting food because drinking chronically usually means the person is malnourished, so as your brain starts righting itself again then it'll ease into that. You may have eaten well while drinking, but it's always about what it is we eat I suppose, rather than volume.

Have you tried something like pedialyte? You want to keep those electrolytes up. Fruits and veggies of course are good. Nibble when you can. You'd be surprised how quickly, after a bit of nibbling here and there, you can actually get down a good amount of munchies. Beets and carrots, as I've read, are great (and for some probably grossest, lol) foods during detox times. Hopefully it'll give your body a boost back to normal. I like a good does of peanut butter crackers for protein and blood sugar, even when I've felt nauseous.

Vitamins and supplements of course....I lack B vitamin so a multi did wonders, and I swear by magnesium. You can get magnesium with zinc, I'm still taking that 35 days later and love it. Results vary by human of course

Good luck and I hope all evens out soon! Congrats on the steps forward!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did not eat much for a few weeks, but nutrition is vital in recovery good clean food and some green smoothies help big time in recovery I have lost 30 lbs in 5 months, but once in awhile in get on a ice cream kick, Katzen maybe try some smoothies, you will be fine good luck.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had lost my appetite during the last months of my drinking, but it returned quickly when I stopped drinking. Have you talked to your dr? It might be something to think about. And, it's always good to eat fruit and veggies.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 5 for me. I'm feeling the same thing, so you're not alone on that one. I have no appetite whatsoever and I've already lost some weight. I'm a skinny gal so it's not exactly a great thing. It caused me to get really dehydrated yesterday, so electrolyte water helps. Eating in smaller quantities is helping. I think eating in the mornings helps me have an appetite later in the day. Even though it's even torturous, just force yourself eat it, you'll feel better and it's worth it!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day 3 is fantastic!! Hang in there, things will adjust with time!!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

3 days is Great!! A lot of things seemed to bounce around physically and mentally for a few to a handful of months after I quit drinking. Now I have many new and better habits!

Best wishes to you tonight.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

You can treat yourself as if you have a stomach bug. Crackers, gingerale, water, mashed potatoes or whatever is gentle on your stomach. Relax, your appetite will return soon!
Old 09-02-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Common. After my last binge I didn't eat for about 3 days after quitting.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So happy it's not only me. Went to the nearest store and bought some Gatorade and soda (mostly for husband, drinks a lot of it weekends.)

Usually I have to control myself in a covenience store... All those chips and candy and junk food. Didn't crave a darn thing. Very weird having zero hunger or desire for food.

Guess I'll give it a day or 2 until I find something I want or think I can force myself to eat as this condition seems to be a common thing, since I'm in good health I won't worry about it. I've fasted on nothing but liquids for up to 5 days (unintentionally when having the flue) so I don't think my health will fail, keeping h,ydrated as much as I can fills my stomach up enough.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions, I might try to make some mashed potatoes tomorrow as my husband wants meatloaf (which I usually love, I don't mind making it, but eating it sounds gross to me right now... Maybe my taste buds are on strike.) Think I might manage some mashed potatoes, though.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi I'm at day 14 had same issue, just didn't want food and I'm a big guy, crackers, sprite, B12, is the way to go, food will come, and you will enjoy it again. Call doctor if you feel sick, I ate very simple foods for days. Hang in there.
Mick
Old 09-02-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 3
Old 09-02-2016, 11:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Try drinking an ensure? Helped me when I had no appetite.
Old 09-03-2016, 12:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I found weak soup, hot chocolate and ice-cream, were great in the first few days. I wouldn't worry though, my Doctor told me 'you won't fade away or pass out' if you don't eat for a few days and your appetite will come back. It came back, with a vengeance! Happily I was a few pounds lighter to cope with it
Old 09-03-2016, 04:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I too had no desire to eat for about the first week,I would force myself to eat anyways but feel really full and my digestion felt slow, a few days later I was ravenous! Just give it a few days,if it persists defo see the doctor
Old 09-04-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by fred59 View Post
I did not eat much for a few weeks, but nutrition is vital in recovery good clean food and some green smoothies help big time in recovery I have lost 30 lbs in 5 months, but once in awhile in get on a ice cream kick, Katzen maybe try some smoothies, you will be fine good luck.
You've inspired me to purchase a smoothie blender.... Always pondered one but with it just being my husband and I whenever we buy fruit a lot goes to waste. But I think I want to try drinking more smoothies (I love buying them at Jamba Juice) .... Are you making them yourself and if so, do you have a recommendation on brand of maker?
Old 09-04-2016, 10:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mick75 View Post
Hi I'm at day 14 had same issue, just didn't want food and I'm a big guy, crackers, sprite, B12, is the way to go, food will come, and you will enjoy it again. Call doctor if you feel sick, I ate very simple foods for days. Hang in there.
Mick
Today I ate half a box of Chicken in a Biskit crackers. Only intended to have a few, but was mostly craving salt and that's what we had in the pantry. Before I knew it half the box was gone. Not the healthiest diet, but it's better than nothing by way of getting some solid food in me.

So glad I'm not alone, if you all made it through this so can I!
Old 09-04-2016, 10:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It is common to really not be hungry at first and you pretty much have to force feed yourself if you can hold it down. After messing up your stomach with alcohol, it can take some time for things to setting down.
Old 09-04-2016, 10:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I don't eat right for a period of time, I force myself to go buy a big fat ribeye steak. Slap on grill to medium rare...then look at it. Yea, for about 5 seconds and down it in 2 bites. Now I'll never go to sleep. The power of suggestion.