Notices

It's Nice to Meet You

Old 09-02-2016, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's Nice to Meet You

Hello.

I am new to this forum. I have lurked for a while and decided to join.

I do intend to tell my story, but need a little time to warm up. I believe I have a problem with alcohol, which started about two or so years ago. I have struggled to stop. I am hopeful this forum will help me come out of my shell, meet new and like-minded people, and learn about addiction and recovery.

I don't know how to stop.
Old 09-02-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Welcome.

You stop by stopping. The method varies.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi & Welcome CapitalHeart
Old 09-02-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Human

Hi and welcome!
I had a two year long or so battle as well, so know you are not alone in your situation. Which sounds like mission accomplished thus far of your intent on joining!
Good luck with your journey, fellow mostly-lurker.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!! You will find lots of support on here. The first few days are the hardest. I made sure to have alternate activities planned to occupy every minute of the time I would normally be drinking. I also spent lots of time reading and posting on here. I have been on and off SR for a few years and on NYE of 2015 I decided "enough!" I am 8 months sober, and so much healthier both physically and mentally.

Life still throws us curve balls, but we learn how to deal with them without alcohol.

Spend some time reading and posting. Join the September class, you will find the support of others at the same point in their recovery journey. If you enjoy readin there is a sticky at the top of the Newcomers Forum with lots of great recovery books.

Glad you are here. You can do this!!!!
❤️ Delilah
Old 09-02-2016, 05:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum CapitalHeart!!
Old 09-02-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

My attempts at recovery never worked when I was passive in my pursuit of it. When I started actively participating here by sharing myself and helping others, I found that my actions were helping me improve the quality of my recovery program and that was helping me get stronger every day.

I encourage you to let yourself open up here.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 09-02-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-02-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you, CapitalHeart. This place helped me stop after a life long problem. I think it was because I didn't feel alone anymore. Everyone had similar experiences and understood. Glad you are here - you can do this.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome CH! You're in the right place. We're glad to have you.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you're here. This is a great place to start if you're thinking about quitting. Just read and post.
Old 09-02-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome. Very kind and warms my heart.

I am drinking right now. Full disclosure, right. I do not drink every day, but I certainly can crash a party. I drink too much too often. It has been increasing in the past couple years too. In fact, I have been having a drink or two at lunch now a day or two a week. And that usually leads to a drunk and hangover the next work day. I have had a couple full blackouts, and I mostly have patchy nights when I drink too much. This never used to happen. I'm scared. Really scared.

I need some tools in the tool box.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Oh, and I have a terrible habit of drinking then driving. Perpetuated by friends who think it's fine because I don't necessarily display common drunk behaviour. But I know I am, and I tell myself if I'm not "acting" like I'm drunk, then I must be okay. It's such a shame. This train has to come to a stop.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ry-plans.html?

welcome, CapitalHeart

different ways of stopping a train. pulling the brake. throwing an obstacle in its way. and so on.
if you can't pull the brake, and you know it's going to crash, jump off.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Capital Heart.

Posting here is a good first step - do checkout the recovery plan link Fini posted too.

whatever you do tho - do stop drinking and driving.

If you feel you must drink a good walk there and back to go get the booze gives you a lot of time to change your mind.

D
Old 09-03-2016, 12:05 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by CapitalHeart View Post

I need some tools in the tool box.
Progress is measurable and every step you make towards recovery counts towards it. You just added to your progress by stepping out of your comfort zone and admitting that you were drinking while posting. Thoughts of the actual act of drinking aside, I am proud of you for standing up straight and telling us the truth. This is progress and with that step forward you have a chance to learn from it. Many times folks have found themselves here while drinking or high and admitted it in a post. Instead of receiving backlash, they received support and advice to put the drink down, get a water, go to bed. Many ignored that advice, but the ones who did just that made progress in their recovery. I hope you will make that step if there is a next time.
Old 09-03-2016, 05:53 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello
Old 09-03-2016, 06:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Greetings, CapitalHeart!
Great to see you on SR ... loads of support, info and experience here. I hope to see more posts of yours.
Whatever you do, please stop the drinking and driving. This is coming from someone who has TWO DUI convictions, and I thank God every day that I do. I would much rather deal with inconvenience and shame of a DUI than live with myself after killing an innocent family of four. I obviously could NOT control it so the Law did it for me, and it was a relief.
And honestly though, I bet deep down you would be happier if you just removed booze from your life completely. Please stick around and post, post, post
Old 09-03-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

The trick is to not take that first drink. That's the one that does the damage, no matter what we think . That's the one that weakens our resolve against the rest and feeds our alcoholic voice. We need to weaken that little beastie, and the only way is by starving it. While you keep taking the first drink, you will keep taking the others.

As far as learning to be comfortable sober, well, that's Recovery and thee are a number of different methods. For me, AA and the 12-step program was key, but others have used diffrent methods. I suppose just read around here and get an idea of what they are and try to find the willingness to give some of them a try.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery. BB