Notices

Playing the tape

Old 09-01-2016, 11:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Playing the tape

I had to start a new thread quoting soberwolf in a reply that was made to me in an earlier thread. It really hit home with me.

"There are many tools that are useful in fighting against it like what your doing now talking with us this is pro active as is 'playing the tape' where you see yourself at the end of your drinking rather than that first drink"

Whenever I would get up in the morning I was for SURE I wasn't going to drink that day. Then as the day passed my AV would convince me to drink little by little. At first I would fight it off but by 5pm when I got into my car and shut the door it was 100% YES. I was going to drink. I would convince myself by picturing me relaxing on the back porch or grilling out hamburgers with A beer, a SINGLE beer. You know, the way we see others that don't have addiction and can have only one. It looks so peaceful in my head, painting the picture of me having that ONE drink. So of course I stop to get beer on my way home. Then while at the beer isle I stare at the beers for a while. I tell myself to get a 6pack because, duh, that's way more than enough. But who was I kidding? That 6 pack would be gone in an hour. So I would grab the 16oz 12 pack and a pack of cigarettes EVERY SINGLE DAY. Then that peaceful relaxing time I pictured in my head ended 12 beers later hugging the toilet and forgetting everything that had happened most of the evening. So if I were to have pictured myself at the end of the night instead of the beginning I may have saved myself many blackout nights, fights with my boyfriend, regretful texts and hungover mornings.

Thanks for that soberwolf. I am on day 12 and this will help me in my days to come.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Congratulations on 12 days, blink!

yep, playing those tapes is a very powerful tool. One that I learned in treatment, and has really really helped me. I have a few favorite tapes to play from the past - the one that usually works the best is of me, sitting in the back of a police car in handcuffs, because I had just gotten my 3rd DUI. That was the night I had my last drink, in December of 2014. If I ever feel like drinking (very infrequent now, thank goodness), all I have to do is picture that night, or one of many other embarrassing or downright dangerous nights, and the desire to drink vanishes. I do not think about those past events in order to make me feel bad about myself, just in order to remember what it was like, and why I do not want to ever go down that road again.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
Congratulations on 12 days, blink!

yep, playing those tapes is a very powerful tool. One that I learned in treatment, and has really really helped me. I have a few favorite tapes to play from the past - the one that usually works the best is of me, sitting in the back of a police car in handcuffs, because I had just gotten my 3rd DUI. That was the night I had my last drink, in December of 2014. If I ever feel like drinking (very infrequent now, thank goodness), all I have to do is picture that night, or one of many other embarrassing or downright dangerous nights, and the desire to drink vanishes. I do not think about those past events in order to make me feel bad about myself, just in order to remember what it was like, and why I do not want to ever go down that road again.
Thanks for sharing MLD. I had never heard of this tool before or thought about it. Will be very effective for me in staying sober.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

12 days is awesome!
I , too, am on day 12 myself
I first heard of "playing the tape through" here on SR and it most certainly HAS helped me a lot in the past and I'm sure it will continue to in the future

Old 09-01-2016, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Day 12 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 09-01-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on day 12 & glad my post was useful to you Blink
Old 09-01-2016, 01:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know this sounds dumb, but what tapes?
Shelby 04
Old 09-01-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Internal tapes you play in your head of things that happened while you were drinking, or things that could happen. A way of picturing what could happen if you drink again, based on your past experience.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Shelby, it's thinking through your drinking till the end. What happens are the results of playing the tape to the end. A Blackout? Hangover? Missing work? Etc, etc.
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi - yes the what REALLY happens when I drink Tapes! My own tape with video goes like this: showed up at a job I loved drunk - taken to the hospital. Lost job. A few days later, laying outside my car, drunkenly trying to get up with the help of two officers. #2 DUI. real fun stuff....
  # 11 (permalink)  

Shelby - it is just in your head - it's when you are thinking of just having 1 drink, or a couple, or whatever - "playing the tape" in your head means imagining what will happen after that - for the rest of the night - 1 drink turns to 12, drunk calling someone, embarrassing yourself, getting arrested for a dui - whatever bad stuff it has resulted for you in the past. Make sense?