Notices

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

Old 09-01-2016, 10:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Catch 22

The Unbearable Lightness of Being

I never quite understood what Milan Kundera was getting at with this title. I do think it sort of explains my feelings about drinking.

I love drinking. I like the taste of alcohol and the smells and colours. I enjoy the liberation of feelings and emotions. The easy companionship of strangers in a bar. The buzz and the rose tinted glasses providing such a better view of life and self.

And then it all becomes unbearable. The lightness of intoxication becomes the ball and chain of addiction.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Kind of like having a boyfriend who is sweet and kind, funny and charming, romantic and polite.

And then he punches you in the face.

Reminiscing on all of his good qualities is just setting you up for another punch in the face.

Find another way to feel good and move forward.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's probably my favourite book of all time. The title is a reference to the idea that Kundera expounds on throughout the book - the idea that if life is lived only once then we can approach it with levity because eventually each moment is simply lived and gone.

But eventually the lightness becomes unbearable. In life, we need to be attached in some way to things we care about, to be grounded, without giving in to the heaviness of it.

It's a great analogy for alcoholic thinking and recovery. Alcoholic thinking as you've said is all about being light, floating away, not worrying about the grave deep things. But that way is not meaningful or sustainable. Recovery is about balancing the ability to float above things while remaining connected to them. It's what allows us to care for others around us, care about doing things well, care about our legacy, care about looking after ourselves etc.

Thanks for making the connection for me between my favourite book and my work towards recovery!