Notices

Champage

Old 08-31-2016, 09:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Champage

Im a hard liquer drinker or beer drinker. I also smoke cigarettes while drinking only, but i can smoke an entire pack during drinker sessons. I was thinking or maybe its my AV but maybe i should just drink champagne here and there without smoking. Maybe i wont drink as much. What yall think???
Old 08-31-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not a good idea. Switching drinks is a red flag for problem drinking.

It's still alcohol.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alcohol is alcohol - doesn't matter what you wrap it up in.
Old 08-31-2016, 09:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Dreadful idea Toni.

D
Old 08-31-2016, 09:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nope, abstinence is a must when it comes to alcoholism.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Since champagne and wine were my drinks of choice I can tell you it is not a wise idea. Romanticizing a glass of champagne very easily turns into an empty bottle and a hangover the next day. Not worth it!
Old 08-31-2016, 10:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

What does your sponsor say about the idea? I see absolute insanity in your question and it tells me you need to work on those steps and save your life.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Insanity maybe but I had similar ideas when I was drinking - I think most of us did.

I'm glad you came here first Toni

D
Old 08-31-2016, 11:35 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tonib View Post
Im a hard liquer drinker or beer drinker. I also smoke cigarettes while drinking only, but i can smoke an entire pack during drinker sessons. I was thinking or maybe its my AV but maybe i should just drink champagne here and there without smoking. Maybe i wont drink as much. What yall think???
As others have said, alcohol is alcohol, no matter what form it comes in.

Personally, I had to rid myself of this type of thinking and just accept that I can no longer drink with control. It's something I still work on a little bit each day.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sober style

I think you're whistling through the graveyard. Surely you already know how that ends.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Toni a part of you thinks switching drinks will help . I tried every combination imaginable but still ended up drunk . Once we cross that line we need to stop drinking ALL alcohol if we want to save our lives .
Old 09-01-2016, 12:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Really Toni ?
Old 09-01-2016, 03:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's a terrible idea.

Champagne was my drink of choice. I went through crates of the stuff.

I can absolutely vouch that it's still booze, if you are an alcoholic you will drink way too much of it and it will still do you serious physical damage.

Plus it is awfully expensive. I save a lot more money since I stopped drinking it.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I played with this idea for years...

In the end I FINALLY figured it out!!!

There was one particular ingredient that turned out to be the root of it all; ALCOHOL.

When I stopped drinking that, and decided to embrace sobriety instead.... boy, did my life get better.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Have no doubt, it's the AV talking.

I tried only drinking on weekends, only on holidays, only every other month. Then, I tried switching up what I drank. The end result was always the same.

If someone told me I could get away with it if I only stood on my head and held the glass upside down and drank I would have tried that too.

Then, I stopped the insanity and realized that the only way out was no alcohol.

You'll find that most of us have all spoken the same words that you posted. We all go through it.

You're still hanging on to the idea that you can drink, why?

Note the use of the word "only". In most cases you can rest assured it's your AV talking when you think it or speak it.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:05 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Such thinking explains, in part, your struggle to recover.

Please, don't drink. Anything.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I think you posted this more than 2 years ago, and it's probably time to stop negotiating with your AV. Put that wretch in a box, nail the lid shut, and plug its air hole if it gives you any lip.

You can do this!

Originally Posted by tonib View Post
Today i told myself i will not drink alcohol anymore... im so nervous, because I've said this before. I always think i can just have one drink, an overtime one turns into 10. Why many i have one damn drink without getting wasted. Last night i drank a pint of vodka an smoked a pack of cigarettes.. i be did that everyday this week. I only smoke when drinking so hopefully that Will stop to.. i just want to be able to do this, but each time i go back to drinking, an it always starts with one drink.. any suggestions are appreciated.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Alcohol is alcohol. Different kinds are just different concentrations.
Old 09-01-2016, 05:19 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Despite all we can say, many who are real alcoholics are not going to believe they are in that class. By every form of self-deception and experimentation, they will try to prove themselves exceptions to the rule, therefore nonalcoholic. If anyone who is showing inability to control his drinking can do the right- about-face and drink like a gentleman, our hats are off to him. Heaven knows, we have tried hard enough and long enough to drink like other people!

Here are some of the methods we have tried: Drinking beer only, limiting the number of drinks, never drinking alone, never drinking in the morning, drinking only at home, never having it in the house, never drinking during business hours, drinking only at parties, switching from scotch to brandy, drinking only natural wines, agreeing to resign if ever drunk on the job, taking a trip, not taking a trip, swearing off forever (with and without a solemn oath), taking more physical exercise, reading inspirational books, going to health farms and sanitariums, accepting voluntary commitment to asylums - we could increase the list ad infinitum.
Old 09-01-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

^^^what tomsteve said.

Changing type of drink, time of day, physical location, etc etc are clear signs of alcoholism. The "can't stop" voice tells you it will be ok if one or any of these things are implemented.

And, the smoking thing is .... a smoke screen. Tussling with whether or not you drink while smoking, won't drink if you don't smoke...all avoid the point of your real problem: alcohol. I have a friend doing this dance right now- he'll drink less if he goes to a bar where you can't smoke- and it is ridiculous. I am watching him completely fool himself- he is just not ready to accept that he is an alcoholic and quit drinking. Sounds like you aren't either.

To your original question:

No. No. No. NO.