Notices

Can someone share a recovery plan that does not include AA?

Old 08-30-2016, 12:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can someone share a recovery plan that does not include AA?

Title basically says it all. I have tried AA in the past and somehow feel that it's not for me for many reasons. I am stuck in building a recovery plan that does not include it. Any suggestions are welcome. TIA.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Tia,

I am fairly new to recovery plans, but the one I am using this time around is a more structured version to something I did years ago to (successfully) quit drugs.

I basically split it in two areas:

1) Things to stop me from drinking now: an exercise routine, meditation, a schedule of things I need to achieve in a weekly basis, healthy eating, checking this forum daily, opening up to those who are close to me (wife, family, close friends)...

2) things to make me be the person I want to be: I have set myself goals they will take years to achieve if I work hard. If I don't they are just not achievable. They link to the schedule of activities I mentioned above, but if it all goes well I will have done things that will make me happy, proud and potentially allow me to change my life completely if I choose to do so.

I don't know what your triggers for drinking are, but maybe focus your initial an on dealing with those? Number 2 is a lot easier to do once you've been sober for a while, so an initial clean period seems to be a must.

Once again this is only my view.

I am not great with posting links as I am always on mobile, but I am sure someone will post one soon with a lot of useful information on building plans.

Hope this is helpful and good luck with your recovery.

P
Old 08-30-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm just at 18 days. I am curious though, is the "spiritual" aspect of AA one of the reasons it's not for you?

Hang in there.
Old 08-30-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

These links are excellent

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-30-2016, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Take a look at the links SW posted for you. There are many people here with many different approaches to recovery. The main thing is to find something that works for you.

I have used books and SR for my recovery and it's worked well for me.
Old 08-30-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

There are different "kinds" of AA.

I don't go to AA, I tried and it was not effective. However I was lucky enough to find a meditation based AA group that was very helpful, and it was not very "AA"-ey. I also would really, really recommend the "12 Steps On Buddha's Path" as this is a different take on things. I impart this not to "sell" AA as I do not attend AA, but in the hopes that it will help a fellow addict and enrich their life. There is not a whole lot of other recovery methods save for SMART that I know of and this is why I have shared what I have.
Old 08-31-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cwood3 View Post
I'm just at 18 days. I am curious though, is the "spiritual" aspect of AA one of the reasons it's not for you?

Hang in there.
The spiritual aspect has a lot to do with it. Also the structure. The meetings each have a topic and sometimes you just want to go and talk to someone. I guess the meetings are where people meet others to talk to. Also, with a small child and demanding job, it's hard to get to meetings. I also don't like the day counting. That is a huge trigger for me. I feel like I'm making excuses. I feel like in this day and age of the internet there has to be other ways - AA is pretty old and I get that it works for a lot of people, but I almost feel like it's a cult. I don't know. I hope I'm not offending anyone. I just want the alcohol gone out of my life and don't want the constant reminder that I'm an alcoholic. I get that I am and I have had emotional issues before, all of which I have dealt with. This drinking thing seems to be just a habit or something. I have no reason to drink, I'm not depressed, or stressed, or angry. I haven't hit rock bottom, far from it. Yet my brain plays tricks on me and makes me think this is OK.
Old 08-31-2016, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

I found Rational Recovery(RR) and AVRT resonated with me, there are some great threads on these ideas here on SR in the Secular Connections forum, have a look and see what you think, it may just be what you are looking for
wish you well and hope to see you around
Old 08-31-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 4 guy

I also find this helpful had to do court mandated A/A for some dui's several years back. Didn't find it useful for me, and tried many different ones in my area just getting my court card signed. Have never been particularly religious and the day counting to me just seems like a stressor. Also not meaning to put the program down it seems to have worked for a great many and that's awesome. I would just want to find something that was more suited to me as an individual. I had developed a daily bad habit that's for sure but constantly being reminded I'm an alcoholic is not for myself productive. I do believe a structured excersise program has helped in my past recovery efforts. Setting goals short and long term helped me as well. Stick with it. I do feel tons better waking up this morning clear headed and finally slept pretty well last night. The first three nights sucked. But from what I read and have experienced in past efforts it does get better quickly for me it then becomes a battle with overconfidence. Sorry to ramble. Lol just felt like typing a bit thanks for reading.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There are a couple of podcasts that I listen to that are helpful to my continuing sobriety. "Unpickled" is Canada- based and very informative, tho it tends to slant for a female audience. "The Recovery Revolution" is good too. I went to AA when I first got sober. It helped a lot at the time, but...
I had problems with the religious roots of the fellowship, and I found the Big Book very archaic and dated. Other things as well, but those were my two bigs. Ultimately, it wasn't for me.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Catch 22

AA is also not for me. The god thing, the "sharing", the holding hands and serenity prayer etc. I really do not know what would work for me. At the moment I just white-knuckle and do not drink and to be honest, I hate it. I miss my friends, parties, talking nonsense and relaxing over a few drinks. It's tough.
Old 08-31-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Geo2d2 View Post
I also find this helpful had to do court mandated A/A for some dui's several years back. Didn't find it useful for me, and tried many different ones in my area just getting my court card signed. Have never been particularly religious and the day counting to me just seems like a stressor. Also not meaning to put the program down it seems to have worked for a great many and that's awesome. I would just want to find something that was more suited to me as an individual. I had developed a daily bad habit that's for sure but constantly being reminded I'm an alcoholic is not for myself productive. I do believe a structured excersise program has helped in my past recovery efforts. Setting goals short and long term helped me as well. Stick with it. I do feel tons better waking up this morning clear headed and finally slept pretty well last night. The first three nights sucked. But from what I read and have experienced in past efforts it does get better quickly for me it then becomes a battle with overconfidence. Sorry to ramble. Lol just felt like typing a bit thanks for reading.
Thanks for this, very helpful. I can completely relate to you saying that you don't want to be reminded that you're an alcoholic every time you turn around.
Old 08-31-2016, 11:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Geo Hi Mel
Old 08-31-2016, 12:23 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
quat

To me the adjective 'alcoholic' means that something contains alcohol. I don't drink(anymore) , therefore I do not by definition contain alcohol, so I don''t apply that adjective to myself.
I no longer consume alcohol and plan on never again consuming it. I've ended my addiction to alcohol and believe that if I were to decide to consume alcohol in the future , that in effect I am deciding to start the addiction all over again, been there done that, so been there soo done that.
I don't need to know if this approach is right or not, I just know it works for me.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You might consider reading Jason Vale's book "Kick the Drink, Easily"... not sure I would consider it a program per se, but it can change your mindset towards alcohol and lead to longlasting sobriety.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:22 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Darwinia View Post
AA is also not for me. The god thing, the "sharing", the holding hands and serenity prayer etc. I really do not know what would work for me. At the moment I just white-knuckle and do not drink and to be honest, I hate it. I miss my friends, parties, talking nonsense and relaxing over a few drinks. It's tough.
I am sooooo with you. The only thing that keeps me away is knowing how ****** I'm going to feel the next day or the next few days. And how all plans that I had for the next few days are out the window. It stops me, but not all the time. I'm trying to keep reminding myself of this every time the thought crosses my mind.

Also, I upped my 401K contribution at work so that my booze budget is gone. Having extra spending money, a lot extra, makes it easier to just go out and buy it. When I know the money won't be there, it does stop me sometimes.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I recommend working hard to change your perception about alcohol use, especially the idea that it provides benefits of some sort. If you understand that alcohol provides few, if any any benefits, you probably won't miss drinking and you won't spend your sober days fighting psychological cravings.

To achieve that goal, there are two books I can recommend: Jason Vale's book Kick the Drink Easily was mentioned above; however, I've read both, and I prefer Allen Carr's book Stop Drinking Now. Both are very similar in there approach; however, Carr's book is more succinct and better written IMO.

I also highly recommend looking into Buddhist principles and philosophy, as it can help a person to understand that our desires and cravings are often based on illusions and false perceptions.

Mindful meditation also is a part of Buddhist practice, and I've found it really helps me to keep my emotions and perceptions in check.

BTW, you don't have to be a Buddhist or believe in the spiritual aspects of Buddhism to benefit from Buddhist practices and philosophy.

There is much information available on non-12 Step recovery techniques and methods. Use the search feature here, as there is a wealth of information that you won't find elsewhere.
Old 08-31-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

AA didn't do much for me either, used to head to the pub after an AA meeting but it works for so many other people.

Apart from the spiritual thing, AA is about mixing and sharing ideas with your 'own kind' on how to quit drinking .... MMMMmmmm ... a bit like SR

SR is part of my plan, as much as I can I'll be here.
Old 08-31-2016, 05:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Geo!!

For me my story didn't include AA in the beginning, regular check ins on SR was the key!!
Old 08-31-2016, 05:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

SoberRecovery.com
&
Church

Doesn't work for everyone but,, I think it to be a good one.

But, not the one I use, I also add AA.

Mountainmanbob