Notices

trying to make a change-- nervous.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying to make a change-- nervous.

Hi all—

I stumbled on this forum after messing up tonight and googling for online support.

A little background...I'm in my late 20s and had four years of sobriety when I started drinking again this time a year ago. The last year has been filled with a lot of stress and changes (loss of three family members, a terrible breakup, a move out of state blah blah blah) and I have started to use alcohol to “cope”…

My routine has become to “unwind” at the end of the day with wine or beer. I do this 3-5 times per week (varies depending on schedule and stress levels), and I have noticed over the last month that I am consuming a lot more on those nights. Where I used to have 2 beers now I have 4 or 5…where I used to have one or two glasses of wine now it’s hard not to polish off the bottle in one evening.

I get so disappointed in myself for slipping up. After a bottle of wine night on Friday I told myself I was done…3 days later on Monday I caved and drank almost as much.

I’m very scared of losing control again and ruining my life. I want to change my habits and quit. It's overwhelming though.

Thank you for reading this. I was encouraged by all of the support I saw on this forum.

-Becca
Old 08-30-2016, 02:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR Becca!

What do you find overwhelming?
Old 08-30-2016, 03:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Welcome to SR Becca!

What do you find overwhelming?
Thanks, Nonsensical

Umm...I guess I mostly get overwhelmed by being disappointed with myself for drinking and also wondering if I can really make a positive long term change.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by chewbecca View Post
being disappointed with myself for drinking
You never have to feel that way again.

Originally Posted by chewbecca View Post
wondering if I can really make a positive long term change.
Change is possible...
therefore hope is reasonable.

You can do this.

What's your plan? You know you don't want to drink, but what will you do the next time you feel like drinking? (Because knowing something and feeling something are so, so different!)
Old 08-30-2016, 03:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
What's your plan? You know you don't want to drink, but what will you do the next time you feel like drinking? (Because knowing something and feeling something are so, so different!)
That's a really good question...maybe that's part of why I am overwhelmed too-- I don't have a solid plan in place.

I only really drink when I am stressed out and alone. This week is going to be a busy one including a trip for the long weekend. But I don't have anything going on tomorrow and I don't want to repeat tonight.

I think a start is making some kind of plan after work so that I don't come home to my empty little apartment and want to drink...?
Old 08-30-2016, 03:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I drink for similar reasons, when I am alone, bored and feeling lonely and start to think too much. Try to mix up your evening routine. What about a nice walk with some music- or even a run if you are able. Otherwise you could join a gym.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Those are really good ideas, Meraviglioso. I think fresh air would do me a world of good!
Maybe I'll pick dinner up after work and take it to the park and go for a walk.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Good luck.. I too walk and it is so relaxing.

Allows me to process everything that is going on while away from home/work.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:17 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Becca--welcome to SR! It's so good that you are here at such a young age and before the disease has progressed too much. Before I quit this time I was up to a minimum of 8-10 beers every night--most times upward of 20 plus shots if I went to the bar. It's a miracle I'm even alive.

For me, I get overwhelmed when I start thinking about never drinking again. Some may disagree, but in my mind all that really matters is today. I'm not going to drink today. I'll worry about tomorrow when tomorrow comes.

Having a plan is also important. For now, SR and the support of my SO, friends, and family are enough. Keeping busy and making small goals for each day also helps. Today I have a lot of errands to run. One of them is a little scary for me, but it has to be done. Anyway, I'm rambling now...

Keep coming back here. Join the "class of August 2016" thread, if you'd like. There is an amazing group of people there who will welcome you with open arms. And don't pick up that drink today!!!

😘
Eli
Old 08-30-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Had to edit my post. I accidentally typed "*****" instead of "shots." Lol!!! Sorry for the profanity, but that's funny. I definitely had plenty of *****, too!

Last edited by Dee74; 08-30-2016 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome. Glad you're here. Lots of support here.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Cool name nice to meet you x
Old 08-30-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum ChewBecca!!
Old 08-30-2016, 02:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

Originally Posted by Elicia08 View Post
Had to edit my post. I accidentally typed "sh!ts" instead of "shots." Lol!!! Sorry for the profanity, but that's funny. I definitely had plenty of sh!ts, too!
ROFL! Thanks for the giggle, A!

Old 08-30-2016, 02:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Becca

A lot of us have found value in a recovery plan. Check out the link and see what you think

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html