Comforting Stuff

Old 10-02-2004, 08:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Comforting Stuff

I was sitting around last night thinking of the little things that make us feel better. It started yesterday when when we got some really pretty flowers in at work and I thought "What the heck" and bought some. I don't usually buy flowers for myself but I brought them home, plunked them on the table and they made me smile all night. They just brightened up the whole room.

Sometimes when nobody's around I turn up the music really loud and holler along to the songs. Maybe a little dancin' even.....how embarrasing. lol It almost always make me feel better.

I was just wondering what everyone else does to brighten things up a little. There's probably some good ideas out there.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

good thread!!!! being with my son always cheers me up he is so alive and happy and I just love doing things with him.....

His dad and I made a deal that I would have him until he turned 12 but he actually stayed with me until he turned 15 so, I was the fortunate one for sure. I miss him but, I know he needs his dad. His dad is a very good person so I don't have to worry about him being with him.... Onething I am sure my son knows is that he is very wanted. It is so obvious that he feel very secure.
Old 10-02-2004, 09:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

When I need to clear my head and comfort myself, I love to go outside and just listen to nature. It is very relaxing and I always feel a sense of comfort, like I am one with the universe.

When I am not feeling so serene, I dance around the house like a moron to a blaring radio. It always makes me feel better!!
Old 10-02-2004, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
brightlight

I did the same with the flowers and bought some scented candles. I would keep looking at the flowers and smelling the candles. Just had to smile. I love having a fire in the woodstove. I also bought a bamboo windchime and sit on the porch and listen to that and it helps me think. I also bought a lot of little flowers and put them in pots and would repot them as they got bigger. I would go to Wal-Mart when my husband was at the bar and would buy plants to repot for the porch. Finally had to stop when I ran out of room on the porch, but he still went to the bar.
Old 10-02-2004, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Spend time with my kids, they make me laugh, and make me feel like I really am doing something right. I go out and spend time with one of the horses or sometimes just sit on the porch and look at the stars.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go for a walk and look up at the sky and sometimes I listen to music and sing. I also love reading a good book.
Old 10-02-2004, 07:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
"learning to just be me"

I think I need more of this on a daily basis... stop and lookaround.
I do love it when it rains here in the desert. The smell of rain- so clean.
Good thread. I'm excited to see what else people write.
Old 10-02-2004, 08:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Castaway

Me too...I can wander for hours enjoying nature...majestic pine trees...the deep purple of the beauty berry...a bird in flight...a fragile bloom...dappled sunlight...rolling hills...breathing it in deeply.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What a wonderful thread!

The following things come to mind: Reading, doing a puzzle, listening to my children laugh, music, having flowers in the house, sitting in the hottub looking at the stars, sitting on the porch smelling the grapes, getting a pedicure, volunteer work. I will be adding a couple of the ones metioned here. Thanks!

Snick
Old 10-03-2004, 12:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Aquina, thanks for that, I used to buy myself flowers regularly and enjoy them for myself. I think its time to do that again. We don't have to wait for men to buy them for us! I also enjoy nature. Tomorrow I am going fishing with my daughter. Don't care if I catch any fish (I let them go if I do catch them), but I enjoy the new perspectives I catch.
Also believe it or not I enjoy walking through old cemetarys. Long story about it being one of my only places of refuge while my father was in an alcoholic rage as a child.
Also very peaceful, and helps me get perspective life.

Thanks
Diana
Old 10-03-2004, 12:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
"learning to just be me"

Cemetarys- me too.

Originally Posted by lonlion
Also believe it or not I enjoy walking through old cemetarys.
Me too! Didn't think anyone enjoyed that but me. I like to read some of the quotes on the stones. The one that has always stuck in my head is "Walk softly, here lies a dream." There were only a couple of days between born-on and died on dates. - It really made me appreciate my life, and how tiny my problems are.
Old 10-03-2004, 05:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
"learning to just be me"

An afternoon nap felt pretty good.
I'm off to buy some shoes.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:24 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
CindeRella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!

Spending the day with my god daughter picking pumpkins and hearing her laughter. The sound of a childs laughter is the most comforting sound to the heart!
Old 10-03-2004, 07:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I can't believe I forgot to mention my cat! His name is Zero, (it's not just a name, it's a mentalitly) and he's a little wacko. He likes bumping his head into things on purpose. Some nights all you here is thump, thump, thump. He's really friendly when he's in a good mood. When he's not he gives you heck all night. He'll follow you around yelling at you. Typical dude! lol He can almost always make me smile too.

After I was thinking about this thread I decided to make a "Corny Mix" cd. All the guilty pleasure music you don't like to admit you enjoy but you really secretly do. All the great classics that make ya laugh. (Baby's got Back *S*)