Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Abstinent from Compulsive Eating but physically unfit & struggling to deal with practicalities

Notices

Abstinent from Compulsive Eating but physically unfit & struggling to deal with practicalities

Old 08-25-2016, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I also feel alone because, 12 step meetings are not well supported by folks of my age or with recovery enough to help others.

I have responded to an invitation to make a first post, though I have been on the email circulation list for years.

What next, I am in the UK, 50 miles from London
Old 08-25-2016, 10:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you for being abstinent!! I struggle horribly with my eating. I've had an eating disorder for 20 years so I'm trying out a recovery plan to address my issues surrounding it. Have you tried therapy at all? How about starting out with some light walking every day? Build yourself up.... there is where a plan would come in real handy!

Glad you finally came out and about. Nice to meet you! What do you think you should do next and which practicalities are you struggling with?
Old 08-25-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Tolkny
Old 08-26-2016, 02:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Tolkny

I'm glad you've decided to post - this is a very supportive community

D
Old 08-26-2016, 03:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

from me too (Derbyshire here)
Old 08-26-2016, 03:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Tolkny!

You say you're physically unfit & unable to deal with practicalities. If these two are related, then when I was over 160kgs (360 lbs for the heathens) I couldn't walk for more than a minute without severe back pain. Turns out my gait was completely screwed, fixing it took two months and then I was off to the races. Took a while to figure out though. Trust me, its worth it keeping trying. Everyone's solution is different but when you find it, it is heaven.

Best of luck!

KP
Old 08-26-2016, 04:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies and the private message to which I cannot respond as I have not posted enough messages - yet.

I am in North Essex and am getting to Oa Meetings - harlow Station is long way from me - my nearest station is Kelvedon, though I normally travel by train from Witham.

Fortunately my weight is reducing - a good few new holes in my belt - to make it tighter.

I am now asking to have my weight recorded by my Doctor's nurse when I have my INR taken - fortunately that is pretty stable now, so will not be going back till September.

It was 159 kgs - which I calculate at 25 stone 1lb - about ten days ago.

That was a pleasant surprise.

I am moving more but at 67 - I am just too damn tired.

However, I feel as if progress is possible
Old 08-26-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

it is my friend
Old 08-26-2016, 11:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Tolkny welcome- i struggled with ED very severely and though it was a different form I feel the thoughts are the same. I went to extensive treatment for it years ago and it is something that comes up occasionally in my sobriety, though I feel confident it has been almost completely conquered. I feel for you and am happy that things are looking up (or down in your case when comparing to the scale). Cognitive behavioral therapy worked the best for me. Best of luck!!!
Old 08-26-2016, 12:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Best wishes, Tolkny.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That was me over three years ago and I did not respond - I am not sure why now.

I have have been up and down - but still the same underlying issues return - unfitness, overeating now addicted to the internet - withdrawn on a face to face basis - thinking about calling people I used to be in touch with - there is so much more I might say.

What brought me back to this forum is the thought that my recovery might matter to others as well.

I am prompted to write I am what folks now call, neuro diverse - in my case dyspraxia/DCD and dyslexia.

Not sure what else to say - which is unusual for me.

I shall read any responses with interest - please do not send me personal messages - the last time I tried I was not able to read them.

I guess I am looking for a male OA member - anywhere in the world - English speaker - who has time to share their recovery story.

Nonetheless - I welcome all responses - especially folk who are helped to share thir struggles and achievements.

Thanks for reading.

I am aged seventy, a retired social worker, fortunate to have a stable income - but with few reserves (of anything) that I can use to get me back on the recovery road again.

I should add - No longer abstinent - maybe I need a completely new thread - I shall see what replies I receive first.

Last edited by Tolkny; 08-26-2019 at 10:26 PM. Reason: afterthought