Notices

Question

Old 10-02-2004, 06:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question

Last night at work I was having a discussion with a friend about the brain recovering from cocaine. I read in a few places that the brain can completely recover in a year. But he told me that things will never be the same and that is contradicting what I read somewhere about complete healing. Will moods and depression/anxiety/irritability decrease within a year or will the brain ever go back to 'normal'? If anyone has any insight on this, please let me know.

Hope
Old 10-02-2004, 06:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Wheredidshego

If anyone knows. I have the same question about Alcohol. Been drinking for 10 years and I wonder if the memory loss and unsteadyness will go away.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hope--Good question. I honestly don't know, but I would imagine a lot of it has to do with how long the drug was abused and how much. You could try posting your question in the "Ask the experts" forum or doing a on-line search. I am SURE that not using is better than using, though!!!!!

Hugs--
Old 10-02-2004, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Hope - Im Aaron, a recovering addict. I was a hopeless crack addict, abusing 1/4 to 1/2 oz daily at my worst, for several long awake months before I went to rehab. Things are not the same, frankley nothingi can yet imagine will ever be as bad as that. I went on an anti-depressant in rehab. The Dr said that it would help with early cravings, and depression. He said I could exspect the cravings for a few months, and within 1-2 years, i could consider tapering off of the antidepressant. Cocaine addiction causes the brain to release serotonin and dopamine in massive ammounts. an addict's brain becomes unballanced, as it tries to make adjustments to the artifical stimulation of the receptors. It slows down producing serotonin, and dopamine, and many receptors die in an effort to re-balance itself. I am told that within two years of recovery, that the brain can regain a normal balance of receptors, and produce a normal amount of serotonin and dopamine again. It seems to be true. It's been almost two years now, and I am clean. My anxiety is gone and i get happy when I should, etc... My moods are much more stable. I am considering tapering off the anti-depressant soon, with the dr's help.

Anyway, im not sure if that answers your question, but this addict is clean, grateful, and still going to meetings.

God bless -

A