Notices

Loved one starts suboxone and has no plans of being sober

Old 08-25-2016, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Loved one starts suboxone and has no plans of being sober

This is my first post, I came here becasue I dont know where else to go.
About 6 years ago a loved one of mine became addicted to their legitimate Vicodin prescription, In addition to being a life long drinker (they are in their 60s). They use their 2 week script in a few days time. Once they run out they will try and supplement with pills bought on the street and occasionally heroin. Due to failing a number of urine test the doctor now knows/assumes they are an addict. The plan is to ween my loved one off of the vicodin and prescribe suboxone in addtion to the valium they are already taking. Problem is my loved one has zero intention of not taking other drugs or stopping drinking. ( I understand booze and suboxone dont mix well?) My loved one already is planing to take just enough to pass a pee test and sell/trade the rest to get their drug of choice (pills.) Up until this point they have been fairly functioning as far as addicts go. No jail time or homelessness. But I feel this is the beginning of the end. Now that the pills are gone they will spend all their money on drugs and not bills. My loved one also just had 2 strokes a day apart and they dont eat much. I feel like their body just can take much more. Is it true that once my loved one starts taking suboxone the only thing they will be able to get high on is heroin?? Because they will do that if need be.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

5yenem - Welcome, and sorry for what brings you here. My husband is an addict, DOC is heroin. Started with Rx pills. He originally went on a suboxone maintenance program also. At that time, I was still very naive, and did not realize he was doing exactly what you described - taking just enough to pass the pee test, but selling/trading the rest for what he really wanted. Simply put, he was not ready to stop. And until an addict is "over it" enough, they will continue to use however they can. You cannot stop it. It can (and, in my case, did) quickly become a very entangled web, and you will easily become caught in it if you do not detach from those decisions.

I think you would get many more responses and a lot more support by posting this in the Friends and Family section of the page. Or maybe one of the admins could move this thread there??

You are right that suboxone and too much alcohol does not mix well. I have never heard, though, that you can get high on heroin while on suboxone. I know people try, and I am sure that leads to overdoses in some cases, unfortunately.

Prepare yourself, because in many of our instances, jail time and homelessness have arisen in our loved ones' lives. Oftentimes that is what it takes for them to be able to truly stare their addiction in the face and decide what they're going to do about it.

Really consider getting help for yourself, if you aren't already. There are many programs available, most of which I knew nothing about when this was all new to me! I wish you well. And, again, consider posting this in the Friends and Family forumn.