Notices

Fyi

Old 08-25-2016, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fyi

One of the first questions I asked when I joined this site was "do people really die from alcohol". I've since learned that yes, indeed they do.

The family who owns the liquor store in this town has 3 sons I went to high school with, the youngest one died this week. Alcoholism.

It is a really sad story (aren't they all), he was athletic, well liked kid, his health had been declining for years. First a walker, then wheelchair/scooter..all from alcohol. Treatment several times, he just couldn't shake it. He was 44.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

it is sad,isnt it?
something extremely insane for me was,while i was in active alcoholism, seeing many people i knew dieing,in one way or another, from alcoholism and i kept drinking.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AA Member

you lived a very sheltered life if you didnt know anyone who had died from this very serious disease

honestly i dont relate

and thats ok

a great example of why we are advised to listen for the similarities and not the differences

Old 08-25-2016, 02:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss and for the guy and his family Jeff.

D
Old 08-28-2016, 08:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't want to start a new thread, but just wanted to mention that I attended a wedding yesterday. It was at a place that specializes in hosting the ceremony and then throwing a big ole' party. It was a friend of mine's daughter. No one was dressed up except the wedding party as that is the way they wanted it.

I showed up, watched them get hitched, paid my respects and away I went. I felt a little guilty not staying longer, I had many friends there wanting me to stay and drink (ya know all that peer pressure crap). I had one glass of lemonade and got out of there.

The point of me posting this is because I wasn't even tempted, not one bit. I have re-prioritized my life and drinking is not on the list. I've learned there are many other things to do other than drink! I think I've become addicted to feeling good. And I don't mind it at all. Hope all of you are having a great weekend.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I think I've become addicted to feeling good.

Old 08-28-2016, 06:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good Job!!! I know weddings are an excuse for many to drink glad you didn't give in.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sadly, I know more ex-alcoholics that quit drinking after they died then before.

But happily, I'm not one of them.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear that news. A guy I knew in college for a while (he was a casual friend in one of my old fantasy football leagues) also recently died of alcoholism. He was 41, they found him alone on his couch at home after he hadn't shown up for work for a few days. Yes, this disease kills. And it would have killed many of us who are here had we not chosen to live (ie: get sober).
Old 08-28-2016, 08:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thomas11 View Post
I don't want to start a new thread, but just wanted to mention that I attended a wedding yesterday. It was at a place that specializes in hosting the ceremony and then throwing a big ole' party. It was a friend of mine's daughter. No one was dressed up except the wedding party as that is the way they wanted it.

I showed up, watched them get hitched, paid my respects and away I went. I felt a little guilty not staying longer, I had many friends there wanting me to stay and drink (ya know all that peer pressure crap). I had one glass of lemonade and got out of there.

The point of me posting this is because I wasn't even tempted, not one bit. I have re-prioritized my life and drinking is not on the list. I've learned there are many other things to do other than drink! I think I've become addicted to feeling good. And I don't mind it at all. Hope all of you are having a great weekend.
I love this. Thank you!!!!

Old 08-28-2016, 08:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Jeff. That is one year younger than I am, good reminder of how important it is to remain sober.

Hope you are doing well with your new job.