Notices

Hunting trip declined because my health is more important

Old 08-24-2016, 02:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hunting trip declined because my health is more important

Got the call, got the excitement, started organising and then BAM!.... REALISATION! ...I gotta drink myself stupid for 3 days, it's just an excuse too drink for everyone.

Typical fashion I said to myself "hmm what If I stay sober till 3rd of September, go hunting, drink, and then continue sobriety afterwards! (Yeh, Great idea)

After quick review I decided to can that idea because iam sick of starting over and over again. Also because I realised I've been trying to quit for 1.5 years but only have ended up increasing my intake

And with that thought, I drank some some water to calm my recent alcohol thoughts, and officialy declined my trip. The thought of drinking and playingwith fire (even though exciting at first) ruined my enthusiasm to go.

Instead iam going to a foreign language meetup this Saturday. And I Highly doubt alcohol will be there.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:53 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Amazing work Madruski!

Breaking the usual thought process is for me one of the most difficult things to do and also one of the most helpful ones.

Proud of you mate!
P
Old 08-24-2016, 03:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awwwwesome!!!

There will be many many MANY opportunities for you to enjoy all of your hobbies and interests in the future. Just got to get over this initial hump, wonderful times are on the horizon.

Congratulations!
Old 08-24-2016, 03:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great job putting your sobriety first!

Your alternate plans sound great, are you just starting to learn a new language?
Old 08-24-2016, 03:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know how hard it is to decline things but I think you've made a good choice MR. You'll be able to look back at this as a pivotal moment

D
Old 08-24-2016, 04:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 08-24-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good stuff! What language are you learning?
Old 08-24-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good job. Smart idea. Hunting trips for me were always a huge drunk fest.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Very wise decision.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Yes! That's the way to do it! Turn down a few things that are dangerous now - you won't regret it. Then when you are more stable in sobriety you can start doing your favorite things again, and enjoy them even more sober.

I basically lived under a rock for a few of months when I first quit - only going to treatment, AA meetings, and other essential places. Then gradually, I started going out socially again, but always with an escape plan and an up-front declaration to the people I was was with that I was not drinking and that I might have to bail on dinner or whatever it was at a moment's notice. There were a couple of times when I just got up in the middle of an evening and left. Your sobriety comes first. The other stuff will wait.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Excellent decision!
Making sobriety a priority and protecting it like a precious gift is something I never regret.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

что мой дорогой сэр самая лучшая идея еще .. Woot Woot
chto moy dorogoy ser samaya luchshaya ideya yeshche .. Woot Woot

this is real and yes I can do it in several langauges...
Old 08-24-2016, 07:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!! I love hearing this kind of stuff. You successfully played the tape through, looked at what the outcomes would be and made deliberate decisions. What we talk about all the time! Great job. I bet you feel a sense of relief and peace now.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Excellent thought process. I also declined two invitations for social occasions for this weekend. I am very very careful and to say no now is to say yes to life and many other opportunities in future.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good decision Madruski, protecting your Sobreity is paramount!!
Old 08-24-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Haha kinda taken aback by the positive replies. And here I was thinking "*sigh* time to type my daily rant"

Thanks everyone, much appreciated😁

In reply to August - yes iam definitely feeling a relief, and frankly it will now be a waste and disappointment to go out and buy alcohol here in the city after all these thoughts.

And a reply to what language? - well long story short iam currently in my home country, but will be going to a "English speaking meetup" - where majority of the people are locals who are practising or studying English and are looking for speaking practice. All we do is gather and talk about anything for 2 hours , make new friends etc etc.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I grew up as an avid hunter (all kinds) and fisherman. Every outing after I was 15 or 16 always involved beer drinking. I don't hunt much anymore and only occasionally fish. I understand the sacrifice to stay sober. But just think, as was already mentioned, about the future trips and outings in a new state of mind. It will be great! Keep on keepin' on.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cwood3 View Post
I grew up as an avid hunter (all kinds) and fisherman. Every outing after I was 15 or 16 always involved beer drinking. I don't hunt much anymore and only occasionally fish. I understand the sacrifice to stay sober. But just think, as was already mentioned, about the future trips and outings in a new state of mind. It will be great! Keep on keepin' on.
Exactly right, there is no way I could sit there and say "iam not drinking fellas" so better not go at all atm. In fact, I wouldn't even make it sober to the 3rd of September!!

If I decided to go , I Garuntee I would of been at day 1 again today or tomorrow because I would of thought "well, you might as well start now"
Old 08-24-2016, 11:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good for you, I'm sure that was not an easy decision to make. Sometimes I think you have to live in your own little bubble for awhile until you adjust. It was that way for me.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Madruski, as a very serious hunter and a recovering alcoholic I can't say good job enough!! That is a very tough call you made and putting your sobriety first is a absolute great call! The hunting camps I use to go to are have allot of drinking at night as well. Haven't been to one since getting sober due to work. Hope you season goes great!