Notices

I've never even had 30 days before.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've never even had 30 days before.

Until now! Actually where I'm at, I'm halfway through day 32.
I can't believe it. Is it really 2016? Have I been in a coma for that long? To be honest, I don't really know what I did differently. It would be amazing to come here with the information "Once I did this, THAT is what finally got me to make it to 30 days after trying to hit that benchmark for YEARS." I wish I could be more helpful to those who are in their first week, but I just don't know what has changed. I thought that the 30 days, if I ever even made it, would be this big emotional struggle and it wasn't. It was just simply living my life without drinking. Telling my tinder dates that 'no I don't drink' with no worrying about what they would think, it just seemed that the words were a fact like George Washington's birthday-- there's no room for debate, I just don't drink anymore. I'm almost afraid that I didn't do enough, I almost feel like I didn't struggle enough in the 30 days. I told my father last night that it almost "feels too easy." This feeling is causing me to reevaluate because I don't want to get cocky and end up not getting to 60 days because I didn't do enough to support my recovery. I do something daily before bed that is recovery related, just to remind myself what I am. I mean it has been YEARS that I've been actively trying to get sober. I've been trying every single day for years to make this one count.... so it's not as if I wasn't learning the whole time. Maybe all of that experience, finally paid off? I don't know, but I'm not going to over think it. I'm sober for a month today and feel great. Anyone else have the experience that they really didn't do anything differently (except for not drink), but something just "clicked" ?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Serper
Old 08-23-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I felt that way too - that it seemed "too easy." I just hit 100 days. I did a couple of AA meetings very early, but found they almost made me want to drink, in a way. I think it was just because (obviously) that's the focus. At home and around supportive people, I was able to put it out of my mind.
I do make myself remember where I was and why I wanted to stop, as I don't ever want to go back to that place, or have to do this again.
Congrats on 30 days!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That is so inspiring. I cannot wait to get to 30 days. Treat yourself to something fun, like a massage or whatever things you like!
Old 08-23-2016, 10:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 08-23-2016, 10:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice post Serper.

I am doing s lot of things different this time round, but it all started with a click during a relapse.

Relapse was heading for about 10 drinks, but halfway through the third can I got the click too.

After that I started really working on recovering and have a plan in full swing now, kind of the same thing you said, but instead of doing it to remind of me who I am, I'm doing it to remind me of who I want to and will be.

Well done for reaching the month, seems to me like you are in he right mind frame to do it this time!

P
Old 08-23-2016, 10:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Day 32 is fantastic Serper!! Keep it going!!
Old 08-23-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimini View Post
That is so inspiring. I cannot wait to get to 30 days. Treat yourself to something fun, like a massage or whatever things you like!

This is a huge FIRST for me, I've never had anyone say that I inspired THEM.... because it's really hard to be an inspiration to someone when you can't even get past day 4 or 5 most of the time.
This is awesome, thanks for letting me know
Old 08-23-2016, 11:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
EndGame

What you did was not drink for thirty days. And it only took one more day to get to thirty one.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nice job, Serper!
Old 08-23-2016, 12:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I feel the same way im at 32 days. What is it that u do before bed thats recovery related?
Old 08-23-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
This is a huge FIRST for me, I've never had anyone say that I inspired THEM.... because it's really hard to be an inspiration to someone when you can't even get past day 4 or 5 most of the time.
This is awesome, thanks for letting me know
Well, your post got me thinking when I read it this morning. I'm on day 9. Since I really lost control in July I've gained 10lbs, but I was thinking ahead to how I will feel in 30+ days because of your post, so accomplished, healthy etc. I decided to be very pro-active today, I went to a kickboxing class I was nervous to try - AND I LOVED IT - and then treated myself to scallops for lunch. So thank you and please keep up the good work!
Old 08-23-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Catch 22

Congratulations. Your mindset sounds great. Good work.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats! Now keep it going.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I felt the same way! I'm on day 50 and was thinking "this ain't so bad"! Which kinda scared me! Like what am I missing here? BUT I do remember the first two weeks were just hell! The obsession that is. Great job on a month sober. I never thought I would see it either.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Optimini View Post
Well, your post got me thinking when I read it this morning. I'm on day 9. Since I really lost control in July I've gained 10lbs, but I was thinking ahead to how I will feel in 30+ days because of your post, so accomplished, healthy etc. I decided to be very pro-active today, I went to a kickboxing class I was nervous to try - AND I LOVED IT - and then treated myself to scallops for lunch. So thank you and please keep up the good work!

Well I've been at the gym every single day since I got sober... weight lifting, running, biking, swimming. I've lost 10lbs already... and I've kept it off.... I'm going for another 5-7 lbs for this next month. I've always enjoyed exercise, but its nearly impossible while in withdrawal and I had the habit of drinking everyday in my earlier drinking years and every 4 days in my later drinking years... so I was always in withdrawal. I've gained 50lbs since I started drinking.... I'll lose it all every pound.... mark my words
Old 08-23-2016, 07:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to read this Serper - congratulations

D
Old 08-23-2016, 08:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serper2014 View Post
Well I've been at the gym every single day since I got sober... weight lifting, running, biking, swimming. I've lost 10lbs already... and I've kept it off.... I'm going for another 5-7 lbs for this next month. I've always enjoyed exercise, but its nearly impossible while in withdrawal and I had the habit of drinking everyday in my earlier drinking years and every 4 days in my later drinking years... so I was always in withdrawal. I've gained 50lbs since I started drinking.... I'll lose it all every pound.... mark my words
That's fantastic! I've been working out very hard for years now. My exterior progress has been very slow thanks to my excessive drinking. I've seen training partners progress and meet their goals, and my gains and weight always suffered. Who knows how slow metabolism is at this point. I'm going to give it lots of time and now I don't have to worry about any extra calories. Just have to focus on the diet now
Old 08-23-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Great job!! Congrats on 32 days!!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:45 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Congrats!