Notices

Headaches a week into sobriety?

Old 08-22-2016, 05:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Headaches a week into sobriety?

Just curious if this is likely alcohol withdrawal related or just a coincidence. I've been posting recently that I tapered off and have been sober the last 7 days. Posted about planning a trip to the Rockies. Leaving tomorrow. I'm feeling good for the most part! Emotionally struggling at times, sometimes happy, but physically feeling good. I thought I was done all the physical withdrawal and for the most part I am. However I noticed the last 2 days I've had bad headaches and I NEVER get headaches as a rule. Even when I was drinking and got hung over or would have withdrawal I didn't get headaches. These have been fairly bad though. Not a big issue. A few asparine a day and they are manageable. Just curious if it's likely related. I also noticed I'm still more tired at times than I thought I would be.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

there are all kinds of physical ailments when one quits drinking from headaches to depression, panic attacks, if all you have is headaches you are lucky congrats on 7 days. Stay hydrated
Old 08-22-2016, 05:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
p***enger

One possibility -- and I'm not an expert, just a reformed drunk -- is that they're tension headaches. At lot of us have had to learn alcohol-free relaxation techniques where formerly to wind down from the day's stimulation we'd have a drink or five. Also, are you increasing your caffeine or sugar intake? That can give you a headache.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah. I only get headaches on around a week sober.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello.... I had them as well for probably the first two months. They did go away though. I had them on and off during the day but It seemed worse and pretty frequent in the evenings. Congrats on 7 days! Keep it up, it gets so much better and more manageable the longer you stay sober.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You are doing well at 7 days. Yes. I had bad headaches for awhile, and fatigued among other things. I had a long withdrawal. Blah
Old 08-22-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am also on day 7 and have noticed bad headaches since yesterday but especially today. I was wondering the same thing.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've also had headaches which is rare for me also.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got headaches for the first couple days of no drinking. Then a week or two in I started getting headaches that got progressively worse the longer I was sober until I would spend about 12 hours in excruciating, debilitating pain. It would start in the evenings before bed and I'd be non functional for the first half of the day and in a literal blind rage because of the pain.
But it turns out I was getting migraines. And have been since I was quite young. So, if you notice them persisting and getting worse, take note and see a dr if it not getting better. I was fairly oblivious to the pattern that was happening daily as once the pain was gone I'd forget about it until it happened again, lol.

Hope they ease up soon. Healing can sometimes be painful as the hurst we've done to our bodies it seems.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat. Advil has been my best friend for the last month. I've also had body aches too. Hang in there.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Yep.. headaches for the first week or more. All sorts of stuff going through our brains when we quit.

Also I was sooo tired. Used to have to crash and nap every day at like 3 or 4pm for an hour.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Same happened here Smilax, give it another week or so and the physical side gets a lot better, you are doing great!

P
Old 08-23-2016, 05:09 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Dehydration may play a part be sure to drink some water
Old 08-23-2016, 05:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was VERY sick and my "detox" took a couple of months. I thought of it as alllll the bad rolling its way out from head to toe. So headaches, and other relatively mild symptoms are very common. This article may give you some good info - you are not alone- and this stuff means you are getting better! Keep going.

https://www.google.com/url?hl=en&q=h...gh-h3oLE5U8LdA
Old 08-23-2016, 06:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

I had pretty constant headaches for about 3 weeks. I thought I had done serious brain damage to myself. They finally went away. Miraculously, I haven't touched the bottle of Tylenol for about a month!
Old 08-23-2016, 06:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightRider View Post
Also I was sooo tired. Used to have to crash and nap every day at like 3 or 4pm for an hour.
Haha yeah! I'm around Day 60 and I still feel the need to do this. It is lessening, but yeah. Fatigue was my biggest withdrawal symptom. I have 2 young children so this isn't an option, but if you let me, I could stay in bed all day and go in & out of sleep. That feeling seems to "shake off" after I get up & moving though.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had headaches for awhile. Its frustrating, but it goes away for the most part. Great job on 7 days.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:52 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I had physical symptoms weeks and months after quitting, they would come and go, the odd pain here, the odd niggle there.

The body needs time to adjust physically, mentally and emotionally, and if like me you drank for years to get to this point, it's going to take more than a week to bounce back.

Though any serious concerns on anything should always be checked out by a Dr.

Have a great trip Smilax!!
Old 08-23-2016, 09:53 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I had headaches for a few weeks, and fatigue that lasted even longer. All I wanted to do was sleep. It was blissful to finally be able to sleep through the night after many years of night sweats, anxiety all night long, intermittent waking.