One Person's Perspective

https://medium.com/@kristicoulter/ht...19f#.fpc5udssr
Old 08-21-2016, 05:57 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good stuff!
Old 08-21-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting that.

I read a good book called Happy Hours: Alcohol in a Woman's Life and the author speculates that recovery for female alcoholics often calls for empowering her, since many feel powerless and angry about it.

I drank like the woman who wrote that article you posted - but in the end I realized the only person I was punishing was myself.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I guess I'm not quite relating to her angst of being a woman. Maybe she was just trying too hard to do too much. It seems to be the gist of what she's saying.

I agree with Madgirl about the need for empowerment for female alcoholics. That certainly was true for myself at the end of my drinking career. Women For Sobriety was appealing to me for that reason. They approach recovery from that angle.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thanks EG
Old 08-22-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting EG, very interesting perspective.

There's sure a hell lot of "incentive" for everyone to drink out there. When food shopping yesterday I noticed there were 5 shelves of alcohol and 3 of soft drinks, out of which one was half water half coke and one was for children's drinks!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
Thanks for posting EG, very interesting perspective.

There's sure a hell lot of "incentive" for everyone to drink out there. When food shopping yesterday I noticed there were 5 shelves of alcohol and 3 of soft drinks, out of which one was half water half coke and one was for children's drinks!
If it keeps the monopoly going , then i would not be surprised if there was 8 shelves.!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great post EndGame!!
Old 08-22-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good post. Thanks, EndGame.

This essay evoked mixed feelings for me.

I've never been one to think that adults should be framed as mindless victims of the advertising industry. (The messages that go out to kids? A whole different matter.) And as a card-carrying feminist, I totally *get* some of the anger the writer expressed.

Still ... over the last three or four days, I've noticed at least half a dozen posts on my Facebook feed similar to those the writer noted. Pictures of someone's wine after work. "Funny" sayings about wine. Beer and Wisconsin. You get the picture.

It strikes me that we've gone to a new level with social media. I don't know what to say about it all except this: I don't like it.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

There was an interesting post in the Women' section here about "Mommy and her Wine" culture the permeates Facebook, social media and the playgrounds and mom's groups. I have found the to be particularly annoying. Being out at children's themed events and having wine pushed on me, the mom groups on whatsapp that are supposed to be for school related issues being overflowed with "I need wine, now!" The memes on Facebook about which wine goes best with which type of tantrum your toddler is throwing.
I can't lie, the idea of relief from it all seems so appealing but for us alcoholics it is never like that, it just makes everything so much worse. I handle my stress much better now without alcohol.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
There was an interesting post in the Women' section here about "Mommy and her Wine" culture the permeates Facebook, social media and the playgrounds and mom's groups. I have found the to be particularly annoying. Being out at children's themed events and having wine pushed on me, the mom groups on whatsapp that are supposed to be for school related issues being overflowed with "I need wine, now!" The memes on Facebook about which wine goes best with which type of tantrum your toddler is throwing. I can't lie, the idea of relief from it all seems so appealing but for us alcoholics it is never like that, it just makes everything so much worse. I handle my stress much better now without alcohol.
Yeah, that's come into vogue over the last few years. When I see references to it, I always cringe. I have two kids under five and I couldn't imagine parenting them while still actively drinking. It's hard enough stone sober. Adding alcohol to the whole deal seems like the worse thing in the world to me. Like you said, I handle hardship and stress much better sober.

I'd add too that adding alcohol to parenting would erase my memories of the good moments in parenting as well. I want to remember every moment, since my kids won't be this age forever. I'm not about to let it go by in a drinking blur. As a sober parent I remember all the details about the good moments.
Old 09-01-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Further discussion on the original article: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show...ment_156246282

*not sure if you have to be a member of this group to see this
Old 09-01-2016, 01:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
Further discussion on the original article: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show...ment_156246282

*not sure if you have to be a member of this group to see this
Ya just hadta do this, didn'tcha? Now I've gotta read all forty eight comments in order to feel whole again.
Old 09-01-2016, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
quat

What's Facepage?
Old 09-01-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
Ya just hadta do this, didn'tcha? Now I've gotta read all forty eight comments in order to feel whole again.