Notices

Now at day 7 I enter the danger zone

Old 08-21-2016, 11:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Smile Now at day 7 I enter the danger zone

Hi again everyone. Feeling good with a solid 7 days sober. Looking forward to a positive week ahead. I mentioned before I've quit a few times and I've noticed the magic number of days when I slip up is usually 10 - 21. My mind is more clear this time around, and I think the reason I mess up later rather than earlier is because it's when my body starts feeling really good, all the cravings are gone and I forget what the withdrawals and hangovers felt like. So I just want to post this now ahead of schedule and I'm open to any tips from people more experienced to stay on track. Have a great day!
Old 08-21-2016, 11:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job on your first week sober! I am getting close to the 8 month mark, and I keep feeling better as time progresses. Check in here daily, and post as soon as an urge pops up.:-)
Old 08-21-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have found that same pattern with myself. It's great to know that it is coming and have a plan to combat it. The first few times kind of came out of nowhere for me and I didn't have a plan in place or the knowledge that the cravings will come. I think with each time we kick a craving, our sober muscles get stronger.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I haven't struggled that much this time around with cravings. Other than drinking, I have a very healthy lifestyle. I only had two small cravings this time around, so I think my nutrition is more on point now. The worst part for me is the insane amount of social pressure from family, friends, coworkers who put me down for NOT drinking. It's pretty lame that I even have to explain that I am not drinking and I feel it's very inappropriate for people to ask me why I'm not.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Optimini-I find I'm very similar-the danger zone for me is 7-21 days. It's exactly how you describe-your body begins to feel better and you start forgetting the agony of detox. But it's good you're aware that nutrition is a point that needs working on with you. You can do this. Always be wary against the speed the AV can take you down.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Optimini

Congrats for being sober, its my 87th day of sobriety and this is my first time to get this long, before when i tried to be sober 42 was my last day when i ended up drinking, this time before quitting, i asked my self why am i doing this, i had 3 solid points.
1. i am missing valuable time with my family
2. My health was ruined due to this
3. knowingly or unknowingly i became addict to alcohol
i thought of giving up this bad habit and i took a vow not to drink again in my life, here i am 87th day, anxiety and depression is common thing in soberity, i am not worried about them because as time passes they all fade....
so make up ur self not drink again what ever may be the reason....
Good luck and have a great day...
Old 08-21-2016, 12:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The same week I started my recovery I started a different kind of diet, one that is for people with damaged metabolisms and/or thyroid. I believe that has helped with the cravings but I still had pretty bad withdrawals on days 3-5. Glad that is over. It's like a dry hangover, complete exhaustion for no reason at all. I was so disappointed in myself for getting to this point, the point of getting physically sick for NOT drinking.
Old 08-21-2016, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Was this a low/no sugar diet that was talked about on here a while ago? Many say that helps immensely with cravings.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Plan something fun to do ahead of time that's set in stone to prepare for when that time comes. Don't wait for it to get here to start making decisions. You'll be less likely to go in the wrong direction if plans are already made that don't involve drinking.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Optomini and congratulations on 7 days!! Just sitting here thinking about what you were saying, you said something about forgetting how bad the first days were, the withdrawl that you experienced.
I could really relate to that because I too have selective memory and recall when it comes to my alcohol consequences/detox/withdrawl etc. ( Funny how I can remember someone who wronged me back in grade school though lol!)
Anyway, I am finding going to listen to a lead at AA or reading on here other peoples stories or reading memoirs ( Drinking, A love Story- excellent read!) is helping me to remind me of where I cam from and what I went through. I fought like heck to get to this point ( 21 days!) and darn it Im NOT throwing this away.
But like you, sometimes I have to have someone or something remind me of it.
Blessings to you.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Whatever happens don't drink stick with us trust me on this
Old 08-21-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ooona View Post
Hi Optomini and congratulations on 7 days!! Just sitting here thinking about what you were saying, you said something about forgetting how bad the first days were, the withdrawl that you experienced.
I could really relate to that because I too have selective memory and recall when it comes to my alcohol consequences/detox/withdrawl etc. ( Funny how I can remember someone who wronged me back in grade school though lol!)
Anyway, I am finding going to listen to a lead at AA or reading on here other peoples stories or reading memoirs ( Drinking, A love Story- excellent read!) is helping me to remind me of where I cam from and what I went through. I fought like heck to get to this point ( 21 days!) and darn it Im NOT throwing this away.
But like you, sometimes I have to have someone or something remind me of it.
Blessings to you.
Thanks - I think I'm going to journal how I felt this last week and re-read it from time to time so I don't forget. I tend to forget A LOT of things and regret it later.....it's almost like the core issue of alcoholism. Forgetting what I say, how I act, how many I have had or the best is waking up and seeing all the stupid crap I post on social media, so embarrassing.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Behappy1 View Post
Was this a low/no sugar diet that was talked about on here a while ago? Many say that helps immensely with cravings.
It's actually a diet that allows natural sugars, the theory is that your body is programmed to digest natural sugars and that stimulates the metabolism. Since alcohol turns into sugar, and so many drinks contain sugar, cutting it all out and then cutting carbs can really send the body into shock.
Throughout the day I have:
No sugar added OJ mixed with almond milk
Watermelon (4oz or about 4-5 chunks)
Shredded carrots with apple cider vinegrette
grapes and cheese/cottage cheese

Honestly, having small portions of the above throughout the day keeps my blood sugar very normal and my energy level high. I haven't lost weight yet, but I did allow for a few cheat meals my first week sober, because I was pretty hungry after missing all the hundreds of calories I wasn't drinking anymore. I'll have a better gauge in the next week or so.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberwolf View Post
Whatever happens don't drink stick with us trust me on this
I'm planning on it. I'm going to write down all the excuses that cause me to relapse, like:
1. If I can not drink for ___ amount of days, I'm not an alcoholic
2. I can try to have 1-2 now and handle drinking like a normal person
3. It's unreasonable to totally quit
4. If I drink water in between drinks I won't get as drunk

^^^^All of the above are lies I tell myself. Not happening again.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 7 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good job on 7 days really liked reading your very thoughtful posts, it sounds like you're being mindful and working a good plan!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by Optimini View Post
I'm planning on it. I'm going to write down all the excuses that cause me to relapse, like:
1. If I can not drink for ___ amount of days, I'm not an alcoholic
2. I can try to have 1-2 now and handle drinking like a normal person
3. It's unreasonable to totally quit
4. If I drink water in between drinks I won't get as drunk

^^^^All of the above are lies I tell myself. Not happening again.
Yes - those are very common things problem drinkers or alcoholics try to tell themselves in order to continue drinking. It did it, too, for a long time. I was in complete denial. Deep down, though, I knew I was lying to myself. Once I got really honest with myself, it was much easier to quit.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:33 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good job.. you're past the worse. Now you have the psychological fight. I found it helpful to just banish thoughts of drinking when they come up (which they will) with a simple "Not an option". Do not mull it over, as the mind is good at rationalizing. The more you do this the stronger you get.

I also exercised a lot, ate frequently, and avoided stressful or tempting situations for the first few months. Good luck. You can do it.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by advbike View Post
Good job.. you're past the worse. Now you have the psychological fight. I found it helpful to just banish thoughts of drinking when they come up (which they will) with a simple "Not an option". Do not mull it over, as the mind is good at rationalizing. The more you do this the stronger you get.

I also exercised a lot, ate frequently, and avoided stressful or tempting situations for the first few months. Good luck. You can do it.
Yes, I already work out, focus on solid nutrition. Unfortunately, I cannot avoid tempting situations without it stressing my relationship. Staying home for months just to get some time under my belt is not an option without severe consequences. This weekend I'll have a challenge, but I'll be mentally prepared. My first week, last week, was ridiculous. Monday-Thursday presented each day with social drinking situations. I said no each day. If I can make it through that, I feel confident moving forward, plus I do have a text buddy that I'll rely on as well as this forum. Been checking in everyday and reading alot.
Old 08-22-2016, 01:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delizadee View Post
Good job on 7 days really liked reading your very thoughtful posts, it sounds like you're being mindful and working a good plan!
Thank you Delizadee, that is very sweet of you! I'm very focused this time, hell bent perhaps!