Notices

Lyrica withdrawal

Old 08-21-2016, 11:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lyrica withdrawal

Hi

I've been taking lyrica (pregablin) for almost 9 months now. The doses are not stable, sometimes 300 and sometimes I take up to 1500. I've stopped it three days ago and I have never been this depressed and anxious in my life. I dont really have much physical sideaffects, just the thoughts and depression. I also can't consult a doctor due to the strict laws here. Can anyone help me with what I should do? and how long does this usually last?

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi john,

I'm not very familiar with this medication. Do you have a script given by a Dr. to treat an ailment? If so, why do you want to stop? Also why can you not consult a Dr ?(I don't understand the "strict laws" part). Is this a commonly abused drug that one can buy off-market?
Old 08-21-2016, 11:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Can you get out of the country to see a Dr ?
Old 08-21-2016, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you out of Lyrica or going cold turkey? Some AD should be tapered and not stopped suddenly. Is there any way at all to consult a physician ?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm not out of lyrica I decided to stop cold turkey, also I cannot consult a doctor because it was never prescribed for me, you can find it everywhere in the market. It's a common thing people take here. If anyone can give me tips on how to make it feel better, and on how long does it usually last till I feel my normal self again, or if this is permenant?
Old 08-21-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I don't know anything about lyrica, but I've been on some other AD's that had difficult withdrawals. I tappered for months and it still took about 6 months until all the withdrawal symptoms went away. AD's aren't something you should take lightly.
Old 08-21-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

yeah, don't abuse Lyrica then stop abruptly. as you are learning right now, withdrawals are brutal.

you need to see a doctor, now, today. you need to be honest and you need to let them help you. this is beyond your control.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chickippo View Post
yeah, don't abuse Lyrica then stop abruptly. as you are learning right now, withdrawals are brutal.

you need to see a doctor, now, today. you need to be honest and you need to let them help you. this is beyond your control.
I'm concerned about john's reluctance to see a Dr. I have been trying to find out the repercussions for citizens of Dubai who take meds not prescribed for them, but all I get is info about TOURIST who go there with meds *sigh* (it's always about us ).
He may have some very real, very severe laws/issues to face if he 'comes clean.'
You seem familiar with this med. Is tapering something he could do?
Old 08-21-2016, 07:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I would suggest weaning off slowly.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I tapered off on medical advice and for 3-4 days things were pretty bad. headache, huge anxiety, racing thoughts etc.

I can't imagine stopping cold turkey - especially from doses as high as 1300mg. I took 300mg a day and the withdrawals were horrible.

OP, please seek medical advice.
Old 08-22-2016, 02:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

John,

Hi and welcome.

You pose a tough question.

You are taking a rx muscle relaxer drug, unprescribed. You just quit cold turkey.

Finally, Dubai doesn't tolerate this well. It is breaking the law.

Imo...if you feel like you want to hurt yourself or others...due to mental issues from quitting the drug or otherwise......call 911.

If you feel ok since quitting...I would get a check up anyway. It can't hurt.

I just want to help...I have no experience w Lyrica.

Is going to a dr. Out of the question?
Old 08-22-2016, 03:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

With any anti-depressant you have to taper as the brain is saturated in the meds and is accustomed to it. I would choose a taper program that weens you down to at a comfortable level. Stopping ADs suddenly can be dangerous so definitely not advised.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 08-22-2016, 09:09 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum John!!
Old 08-22-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
EndGame

Sorry to say that taking Lyrica can be dangerous, even under a doctor's supervision, and most certainly at the levels you've documented. Your only safe choice is to see a doctor, sooner rather than later.

Same goes with stopping. You're in a position where an abrupt discontinuation can result in serious consequences.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Lyrica is an anti-seizure medication. I happen to take it as prescribed for my nerve pain. It needs to be tapered slowly, as quickly stopping seizure medications can cause seizures if stopped abruptly.