Notices

Day 3: I don't know if I can do this...

Old 08-21-2016, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3: I don't know if I can do this...

It's not really a physical thing -- although I really don't sleep great.

It's emotional. I'm weepy and sad all the time... and then suddenly I'm so angry I want to break something.

I just feel like no one in my immediate circle understands this: For them, this is simply a defect in my character -- a sign of weakness. I guess it IS a character flaw, but I don't want to feel pitied.

I don't think I'll ever be treated normally again, and that hurts. I dont understand how I got here.

I sound so self-centered, but really I just want this to be over. I want a little of my self-respect back. I don't know if that's possible.

This post doesn't even make sense.

I feel so low.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hang in there kgr. If you let it go a few more days you will start feeling better and all the things you talked about will start to happen, slowly but they will start.

First week is an emotional roller coaster indeed, until your body properly clears up your mind will find it hard to feel good, but drinking will only get you back to square one instead.

We believe in you here and understand what you are going through. Once you start feeling better about yourself I promise you those around you will start doing the same.

If you think the problem can be seen as a weakeness on your character, then solving it by definition will have to be seen as a strength. You are doing that already.

All the best.

P
Old 08-21-2016, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

kgr, please, don't misunderstand. It's NOT a character flaw. Character is something you possess that is way deeper. Alcoholism, from what I'm beginning to understand, is a disease that manifests itself in certain behaviors. That is not character.

Ease up on yourself. I know what you mean though.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
quat

Actually your post makes a lot of sense, the first week or so is very hard. But it is Do-able and the further in time that you are away from this first part the better and easier it will become. Hang in there, time takes the time it takes.
As silly as it may sound, two words can help more than you might think "ice" and "cream", if possible make it part of your plan for today, a little special respite for tonight( or even right now )
Old 08-21-2016, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Get some support! Get to a meeting!
Old 08-21-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Kgr,

You are feeling the brain damage booze causes.

Physically you seem great, mentally your brain is reeling at the world through sober vision.

Drinking again for you will make it start over except only worse.

You have to remember how you feel now, because it gets better everyday...but the av is always there...forever.

15 months clean and my av beckons me like a crybaby sometimes.

You have to change your life up. AA meetings, volunteer work, second or third job, bridge club at the YMCA....something new....a new path.

Like Dee says...a recovery plan.....beginning when you wake up.....until you go to bed.

Today, i sat in the backyard for a couple of hours, had coffee as the sun rose.

Change it up.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

Feeling like you do is perfectly normal and is something I found I just had to suffer through for a while. It really does ease up and get better with time. It eventually passed and I do have my self-respect and more back today. Having support really helps.

When my cravings got really bad, I did something that made me feel better. Ice cream worked for me too, even though I normally don't eat sugar or processed foods. I indulged whenever I needed to for the first 2 or 3 months until the cravings were more manageable. It doesn't have to be ice cream, just something that feels indulgent.

Alcoholism is not a character flaw or a moral failing. I try to focus on and spend more time with people who do understand and pay less attention to those that don't, because IMO, they don't know what they are talking about and can't understand.

AA was great for that. They get it.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
fgo

Khr,,
Try some breathing sets, you can do this. You would be surprised how many amazing people that you meet in the world that had to go through what your going through. I'm in the same boat with people understanding, the only person that needs to know what you need to do is you. It may seem lonely, but we all understand and are here for you..
Old 08-21-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Catch 22

It is a tough path for all of us. I am on day 98 and it is still a battle. However, even through the pain I know this is probably the best thing that I have ever done for myself. And the fact that it is so hard is an indication of how we rebuild our character.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel your pain, kgr; and I mean that literally. Hang in there. It gets better but it takes time. We're here for you...
Old 08-21-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good morning Kgr,

It is wonderful to see you here and posting. Lots of great advice above. Those first few days/weeks are tough, but I promise it does get better. Mr. PL stated the process of starting to feel better beautifully above.

I'm not sure what supports you have in place, a great place to post would be in the August class as well as this forum. You will be surrounded by others who have made the decision to stop drinking this month.

You can do this, and I promise you sobriety is worth it.
Old 08-21-2016, 08:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Kgr out of all the alcoholics here in recovery why do you think we say were so much better off in recovery ?

We are not all the same we are all different in many ways but we all share one thing in common ... stick with it & us
Old 08-21-2016, 10:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I felt the worst on days 3 & 4. Hang in there, day 5 it will lighten up. I'm on day 7 now and just woke up feeling rested. I've also been on a high quality multi vitamin and I take an extra b-complex because alcohol depletes vitamin b from the system, that really helps with cravings. Good luck, stay strong!
Old 08-21-2016, 10:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Actually your post makes a lot of sense, the first week or so is very hard. But it is Do-able and the further in time that you are away from this first part the better and easier it will become. Hang in there, time takes the time it takes.
As silly as it may sound, two words can help more than you might think "ice" and "cream", if possible make it part of your plan for today, a little special respite for tonight( or even right now )
I just hit 6 mos and "ice" and "cream" are still in my daily vocabulary. Seriously, I eat it every day. I'm considering giving it up

Kgr - It will get better if you don't drink. Right now, do whatever it takes to get through the day - naps helped me a LOT, eating as I could (I was deathly ill when I quit), watching guilty pleasures on DVR or Netflix or whatever....just hang on. Hang on, and keep going. You can get to a new side of life.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
quat

I'm on a few years now, and there is a Hersey's Special Dark bar in the house at all times , just a square or two but always there