Notices

Gord Downie IS Tragically Hip

Old 08-19-2016, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Gord Downie IS Tragically Hip

For me...my recovery has been painful at times....and I have learned that for now...I need to be careful of what I expose myself to, so as to avoid any unnecessary emotional ups and downs...but it's been hard these last few days with the Hips final concert coming up. As a music JUNKIE, music means everything to me...we all have a soundtrack to our memories...and as a good Canadian girl...a lot of mine are to the Hip. Their album "The Tragically Hip" was my first CD purchase in 1987..
I still have it...to physically touch it is like looking at a photo album.
Anyways..it's been pretty emotional for a lot of us Canadians...watching his last concerts..seeing him break down as the crowd cheers him on..and tomorrow night will be EPIC...we are bringing our kids...8 and 9 to an outdoor viewing of their final concert tomorrow night...my kids have grown up to their music. I fully expect to experience extreme emotional reactions tomorrow night...sharing something so sad with thousands of others...set to some of the greatest songs ever.
There's also a huge lesson in all of this, watching his courage through all his own pain has reinforced how lucky I am to still have my life to live...something he won't have for much longer.
With a heavy heart...but with much gratitude I wish everyone the same reminder when you watch him for the last time tomorrow night .
Old 08-19-2016, 09:28 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Unfortunately, the The Tragically Hip never made it big outside Canada so most people here have no clue who they are. Although, I did see them live in Vermont, it was mostly Canadian fans
Old 08-19-2016, 10:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Years ago, I dated a Canadian guy. He sent me a 'mixed tape' and on it was a Tragically Hip song or two, otherwise, I'd never have known them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhpezwGtDEg

Courage was my favorite. (Sounds REM-ish)
Old 08-19-2016, 02:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"I need to be careful of what I expose myself to, so as to avoid any unnecessary emotional ups and downs." - thank you, rahrah, that sums up something very helpful for me.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

This article provides a little context for those who might not be familiar with Gord Downie's story:

'It’s unbelievable': Gord Downie's oncologist on the Hip singer's progress and how going public could save lives

D
Old 08-19-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 08-19-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm glad you posted this. 'Bobcaygeon' & 'Courage' got some airplay here. I'm going to listen to some more. Thank you for posting the article, Dee. Bless him.
Old 08-19-2016, 06:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks rah and Dee for posting this article.

Gord Downie is so courageous and it's wonderful to see the outpouring of love for him.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I tried.... but was never able to "get" into the Hip. Sure, all my friends loved them and their tape/cd was always on at backyard bbqs and early drinking days.
For some reason I always just got a feeling of meloncholie from their music.
Some them live a couple of times.. meh. Still couldnt care.
Though, I always enjoyed acts that played open venues with them ; Australia's Midnight Oil was one I caught early and really liked them.
Favourite song by the Hip: Grace, too.

Another CDN band that imo was amazing ( the Doors sound/ mixed with Zeppelin if u can believe) but just never made it south of border was The Tea Party. If some of you are bored give them a try on youtube. About 5 incredible tunes to pick from.
But try:
The River
Save Me
Old 08-20-2016, 06:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Tea Party and Eye Mother Earth were good in the 90's, but The Hip just got better and better... 30 yrs of success.

Grace, Too is one of my Fav.

A few of their best are:
Boots or Hearts
Wheat Kings
In View
My Music at Work
Long Time Running
Locked in the Trunk of a Car
Blow at High Dough
So Hard Done By
Poets

Fan or not... their last concert must be a pretty big deal if Canada is suspending The Olympics to air the concert.

Happy National Hip Day Canada!

"If you're livin in the past then there's no way that you're gonna last"
Wheat Kings,
Gord Downie
Old 08-20-2016, 07:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No doubt Hip appeals to the broad majority, and their staying power has been incredible. Id say theyre very much like REM, people either really love tgem or are indifferent. But there is no mistaking their sound- its unique.
Old 08-21-2016, 04:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Recoverer of Self

Well....that was an electric experience last night....lots of smiles....lots of tears....lots of emotions...being shared with thousands of people at the same time across the Nation. Quite the experience.

My recovery had quite an epiphany as well.....during a moment where I watched thousands of people in cities all across Canada pouring out love for Gord....while he was on stage completely overcome with emotion as he was soaking in the cheers and tears from the crowd....it occurred to me.....'it doesn't matter how much love and adulation this world gives you...it will never be enough to save you'.

Of coarse I always KNEW this....but in that moment last night.....it was an overwhelming and powerful epiphany....something I felt in my soul. Reminding me that recovery means to be free from dependencies of all kinds....that the love I need to save myself must come from within.

I am grateful to Gord Downie for sharing his condition with us....it gave us an opportunity to find acceptance together....to grieve together and to learn together.

Once again MUSIC SAVES MY SOUL.....it is my greatest friend.
Forever a Fan of The Tragically Hip.....
Old 08-22-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

One of my favorite bands!! I started listening to them in the mid-90s and never looked back�� So sad watching them perform their last show. I saw them in Canada and in the states and it was excellent. I always was find of Springtime in Vienna, Escape is at hand for the travelin man, and Grace too. Love all the albums...Prayers To Gord. Good post by the way!!
Old 08-22-2016, 08:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Gord made me cry. Notice I said in my bio former Texan - current Canadian. Everytime I hear the Hip, it feels intrinsically Canadian to me, part of the experience. Anyone else who cares to listen, I also love the song "Poets". Courage is my number one of all time.
I thought the CBC did an amazing job covering this and for once not making it more or less than what it is.
Old 08-23-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Very inspirational, thanks for sharing!!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am sad I missed out on this. Love the Hip and grew up listening to them.
Canada has produced some pretty awesome talent and Tragically Hip are definitely classic.
Great post rahrah. Thanks for sharing too... I am pretty out of the loop these days.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Rahrah,

Thanks for posting this. I am a music junkie myself, it's a massive part of who I am.

I had never heard of them before you mentioned but checked them out since and it is indeed great music! Hope you had an amazing time at the concert.

Indeed music saves, I owe so much to it that I can't even begin to describe, and this recent sobriety is making me enjoy it again in a I haven't done since my early teens.

Can't wait to take my kids with me like you did, they are still a bit little but that'll happen soon.

Happy for you!
P
Old 08-23-2016, 10:00 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Fellow Canadian...Fellow Music Junkie. Thanks with all my heart for posting this rahrah. Saturday night concert on CBC was an event to behold across Canada. There were community events even way up north to share in the viewing together. A friend of mine in Manitoba was going to an event at a campground with a huge outdoor projection screen. I was amazed the unity of our country this event instilled. I bumped into people at the grocery store prior to hurriedly getting snacks for intended viewing parties....

It was truly something....
Old 08-23-2016, 11:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
I had never heard of them before you mentioned but checked them out since and it is indeed great music! Hope you had an amazing time at the concert.
The concert was aired commercial free on TV for about 3 hours. This even took place of prime time Olympics.

I doubt he was actually *at the concert. What made this really impactful is that this was a (real) goodbye tour. The lead singer: Gord Downie is dying from terminal brain cancer. The emotion and poetic lyrics from his songs became even more impactful.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Joe!

I read about it, sad story but it's amazing what happened last weekend.

Been listening to their music all day, honesty really like it, sounds like a cross between REM and Australian rock bands!

I'll check some of their earlier stuff tomorrow.

P