Notices

H.A.L.T... is the Shiznit!

Old 08-18-2016, 10:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

H.A.L.T... is the Shiznit!

If there is anything that has helped me get through the last 3 weeks...

It's HALT!

When I am feeling "weird" or anything else that is "not good" .. I have to remember it may not be the AV (Alcoholic Voice) talking. Maybe it is simple ... Maybe I need a cookie or something!

I just ask myself... Am I?
Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

What other things are out there like this ... Let's hear some !
Old 08-18-2016, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I use this too.
Every morning, even though I know the exact five things I will do first in my day, I write down:

RR (Richard Rohr emails - a key in my devotional routine - see cac.org/sign-up if interested)
SR
Devo (I use a simple devotional called Keep It Simple: Daily Meditations for 12 Step Beginnings and Renewals)
85-88/417 (pgs in the BB I read every day)
HALT

Love crossing off ea one- I circle one of the four letters if applicable before I cross it off, as well.

I also have an app of daily Inspirations by Hazelden on my phone (you can google and find a bunch of them to choose from) and a sober tracker on my phone. I check the latter occasionally- it has day/milestone goals I customized (my 40th bday, for example) and a money function I love- it calculates what I have NOT spent on alcohol in my almost 6mo sober!

I also take myself to the bathroom for a minute when I get over-excited; excitability is a big emotional flag for me. A minute or two time out is good.

And water- I always have some water on hand, and often some other kind of drink too. Reflexive drinking habits that are good for me!!

I also have a bunch of motivational and happy and reflective and whatever quotes loaded on my phone and I scroll through them, or even better, send one that strikes me at the moment to my boyfriend. Positive reinforcement all the way!
Old 08-18-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

All great ideas, August. I'm gonna use a couple of them that I don't already use!
Old 08-18-2016, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

HALT was very effective early on for me as well. I'd suggest reading Sober Living book lots of good experience and tips in it.

The other thing that helped me was forcing myself to pickup that 900 lb phone!! That's a tough one some times and maybe SR helps supplant that , but talking to another alcoholic - even about nothing always helps.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations
Old 08-18-2016, 01:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey MidnightRider,

Early days for me, but before I do anything I've been asking myself: is this going to get me closer to being who I want to be?

Seems to be working well.

P
Old 08-18-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Devo.....my head went a different direction there!
Old 08-18-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
Devo.....my head went a different direction there!
So did mine.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

12 steps and fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I swear by HALT. My last lapse involved cheap, low alcohol Champagne because it's the only form of alcohol that ever tasted good (with a pinch of sweetener). I seldom bought it though. I had a craving and wanted to see if it would make me sick (that was my reasoning anyway). After my detox ANY alcohol made me immediately sick. I ate some sardines before getting in the car. By the time I got the wine I absolutely did not want it anymore. Stubborn as always, I took it home, opened it up and forced a half glass down. Felt so sick the rest went right down the drain, and I was sick ANYWAY for 2 days. Well, at least I proved to myself that HALT works and that I can't drink. Still, not a game one should play. Lesson Learned.