Notices

Going to My First AA Meeting Tomorrow

Old 08-17-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going to My First AA Meeting Tomorrow

I am very nervous.
Will I have to talk?
What if someone recognizes me? Is it confidential?
Old 08-17-2016, 02:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I don't use AA, but I suspect it's usual to be nervous. It's good that you're taking action.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad you are going!

You absolutely do not have to say anything! You can sit and the back and just listen - I did this for a long time (I will have 6mo this week). Some people may say hi to you or seem open to introducing themselves or talking; you don't have to do this if you're uncomfortable, and I'd just say a polite hello. What kind of meeting are you attending? If you aren't sure, just go with the flow- an "open discussion" meeting is where no one is called on or has to speak, except the person/people introducing/leading the meeting.

AA is based on anonymity. People will introduce themselves by their first name only. You are not supposed to leave the meeting and say you saw so-and-so there, or that they are an alcoholic, and vice versa for others to you. This is a big concept you will learn about if you begin a program of recovery with AA.

Just go. It is weird and scary and makes people anxious, sometimes, but it really is ok - it's the one place anyone can go, and start learning about whether they need to stop drinking or not.

Good luck.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I glad for you. My first meeting is in one hour and forty-five minutes. Nervous? You bet! Excited? You bet!
Good luck, I'm with ya.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations Vona
Old 08-17-2016, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

If they call on you and you don't want to talk just say thanks for calling on me I would like to listen today. That simple! They get it! I do hope you enjoy and hear something that resonates with you as I'm sure you will. I am still nervous to go but when I do I am always so glad and something great usually happens that I would have missed out on if I had not gone. Just from experience I have not ran into someone I know but that can be be different every where. If you see someone you know it's supposed to be confidential. if you end up seeing someone you know, well maybe that's a sign and you can reach out to them!
Old 08-17-2016, 03:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

This may help

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/p-16_theaagroup.pdf

Copyright © by A.A. Grapevine, Inc.;
reprinted with permission
Old 08-17-2016, 03:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I feel a bit better. I am resolute in going. Although I am not religious, and may not agree with all of AA's doctrines, I believe it will be a welcome addition to my plan.
Old 08-17-2016, 03:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Vona, I'll post when I get back from AA, leaving right now. I'll give you a play by play of my experience.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

would you rather someone recognizing you at an aa meeting where youre going to get help
or
laying passed out drunk in a snowy ditch and in the ER after?
Old 08-17-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vona71 View Post
Thanks, everyone, for the replies. I feel a bit better. I am resolute in going. Although I am not religious, and may not agree with all of AA's doctrines, I believe it will be a welcome addition to my plan.
aa is not a religious program, just spiritual.

it might be wise to read the first 164 pages of the big book to understand what the program is.

Alcoholics Anonymous : Alcoholics Anonymous

some pretty good stories after pg 164 and,after a little run through some of your past posts, theres one that,imo, you wrote.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
would you rather someone recognizing you at an aa meeting where youre going to get help
or
laying passed out drunk in a snowy ditch and in the ER after?
Well said.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm glad you're going.. You will be welcomed! If they ask you to share and you don't want to just say thanks, I'm just listening today.

regarding religion in AA,

AA is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy, neither endorses nor opposes any causes. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:30 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Vona. Wishing you luck at your first AA meeting. People might approach you just to welcome you to the meeting and give you some support. Some may give you their phone numbers for you to call when you need help. No one will force you to say anything and there is a strict anonymity code, everything said in the rooms, stays in the rooms.
Go with an open mind and when you listen to people's shares, listen for the similarities and not the differences. I would recommend you go to a few meetings before you decide AA is or is not for you.
Good luck and come join the August group to let us know how you got on. Elle
Old 08-17-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Been working up the courage to go myself! All the responses here made me feel a lot better about making that step as well. Congrats to you, and best of luck!! I'm sure you'll do great
Old 08-17-2016, 05:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My friend gave me a book today called "A Woman's Way Through the Twelve Steps." She said she very much enjoyed the perspective. In fact, she is the one who convinced me to go. She shared with me that she has been going every day for four days. I was very surprised and very proud of her. She recommended reading the Big Book as well. We didn't have time to get into it, but she inspired me to go.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good luck Alyssa, welcome.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Vona, Alyssa:

I just got back from my first AA meeting. It was pouring down rain. There 9 people including me. It was a very friendly atmosphere. In recognition of it being my first time, they went around the table and shared there basic "story". It was very inspiring so when I was asked if I wanted to say anything, I just spilled my guts. It was easy because it was the real story.

You will like it. Just getting there is the hardest, once there....you will be just fine. It's relieving and feels like a lot of stress has been lifted.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:45 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I agree w/ cwood. I've only been to a few, but I was soooo scared my first time, but it was so welcoming and easy and not demanding anything at all! good luck!
Old 08-17-2016, 07:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was very nervous to go the 10 times I did go over the years (should have kept it up), but felt really good afterwards. I guess knowing that I wasn't the only one out in the world with addiction issues. Im just 3 days in my current recovery and have been reading on the site about 90 meetings in 90 days and am building up the plan to make it happen.