Notices

Better night last night

Old 08-17-2016, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Better night last night

Hi, all - I got some much needed rest last night. I had bad dreams and woke up drenched in sweat like 5 times and had to change my clothes, but slept between those times. I did something I don't think I've ever done before and actually screamed out "STOP" in one of my dreams and woke myself up!

Was certainly not the best night, but I will take that over the previous 2 nights of shaking, zings, twitching, nausea, and palpitations. I can never go back there.

I feel like I've gotten through HARD PART #1. Still feel exhausted, fearful, depressed, but see glimpses of joy coming in too.

One of my favorite quotes:

"WE CAN DO HARD THINGS!" -Glennon Doyle

Love to you all.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh, and I got through an evening after work by myself without numbing myself out.... 1st time in a long time.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done Julia!

I had the exact same thing with sweating, had to change the bedding twice in one night! Glad my wife was away on those first nights.

Keep up the good work, this stage will pass and there are better times ahead.

P
Old 08-17-2016, 08:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

oh, AND, the last of my empties, EVER, are at the curb for trash day. shed a few happy tears.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, MrPL - Ive had the sweating before when I've cut down - it is not fun - I hope it doesn't last a long time.
Old 08-17-2016, 10:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Go you Julia
Old 08-17-2016, 02:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Keep going! It will get better- my shakes and sweats went away, the nightmares turned into vivid dreams then just normal ones....if you don't drink your body will heal. Take good care of yourself now, especially.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Julia, I'm in the same boat. The last two nights were all about night sweats. Two nights ago I don't think I slept for than 10 minutes at a time and I felt terrible yesterday. I had the sweats last night, but was able to get some sleep and some weird dreams and felt better today. Hoping tonight is more restful and tomorrow feel better than today.

Hope your night and day tomorrow are better also.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Quincy - how was your night? Mine was better - sweating not as bad, dreams not as bad, more sleep between wakeups...
Old 08-18-2016, 07:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Julia- great to hear! If possible, you might find a nap here and there helpful. I know I was so incredibly tired at first that I took them often- my body would just start shutting down- and I think it helped get me "filled up" so that when I went to bed at night, I'd already worked out some of the sweats and chills and such.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:11 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Ugh, I had night sweats for about two weeks after day 1. It got better as time went on, and now nothing for several weeks. Last night I woke up a bit sweaty (because the air conditioning had gone off in the middle of the night), and when I woke up I was totally confused--I didn't drink last night!

I had all of the sleeping problems you are describing, and I had them really bad. They do get better. Taking naps is a good tip. Really listen to your body, and keep up with the self care. Even if it means putting other things off in your life. Your sobriety needs to be your number one focus right now.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Julia8 View Post
Quincy - how was your night? Mine was better - sweating not as bad, dreams not as bad, more sleep between wakeups...
Hi Julia, glad to here your night was better. Mine was not that great. Not too much sweating, just hard to get to sleep so I'm tired today.

On a good note (after reading many posts from people who have gone through this before) I know I am one day closer to getting healthier and feeling better.

I think one of the reasons I continued to drink was to avoid the detox symptoms.

Have a good day.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks, August, U75, and Quincy - I cant nap anymore - just can fall asleep no matter how tired I am (unless was drinking) - maybe that will change in time. But I am feeling ok. And I am looking at it as - nothing is more important today than my sobriety.

I hear you, Quincy - about the detox symptoms. Mostly sleeping. I hope each day gets better for you - I am sure it will.
Old 08-18-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad things are getting a little better Julia

D
Old 08-18-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are doing better, Julia8. I was thinking of you last night. Thoughts for you too, Quincy. I had the sweating big-time in early sobriety, too. I have eight months now and things are so much better. Just hang in there and keep up all the hard work. It is so worth it!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thank you, Verdantia - that means so much to me that you were thinking of me!
Old 08-19-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Glad things are a little better Julia. Hang in there, you are on your way to breaking the cycle.

Sleep patterns are different for everyone in recovery. It did take me a long time to return to normal sleep... but after 20 plus years of heavy, daily drinking I am not sure if I even remember what normal sleep was.

Bottom line, for me, being sober and lacking sleep is tremendously better than waking up from a drunken sleep, hurting, unmotivated, swollen, and knowing that in a few hours I would be starting the whole process over.

Hang in there, you're doing great!
Old 08-19-2016, 04:06 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well done Julia, you're doing fantastically well and with every day more and more of that poison leaves your body. I had vivid dreams and sweats for a couple of weeks but am now beginning to get myself into a healthy sleep cycle. Remember to eat as well Julia, self care is so important. God bless. Elle
Old 08-19-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Julia, glad to see you are feeling s little better. Those first few days are so hard, but it gets better so quickly if you stick with it. I'm only about 4 and a half months sober and its unreal how much better I'm doing. Night and day. You are right, your most important job is just taking it day by day (or hour by hour) and not drinking. Best wishes today.
Old 08-19-2016, 07:15 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all - your support means so much to me!! No one in my life knows what is going on.