Notices

I've Made a Mess of Things

Old 08-16-2016, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I've Made a Mess of Things

#1, not a pity party, just the facts.

I have been drinking all my life (I'm 57). I quit from 2000-2006. Been going at it hard ever since. I lost my first marriage (before the sober 6 years) due to my drinking. Fortunately, she and my 24 year old son still talk to me. Me and my son are close and live near each other.

I now have been living with my significant other for 8 years. I am an oil/gas engineer that got layed-off in Sept. of 2015. Haven't gotten re-employed since. That gave me way to much free time. My SO is a significant drinker as well.

Friday Aug. 12 I rear-ended another vehicle on the way home from day-drinking. Just a fender bender, no physical injuries. Got home and called her at work. She blew up. I got drunk and ate a bottle of pain-killers. I guess she sensed, because just before becoming unconscious, my mom and sister came through the door. They loaded me up and hauled me out to Brookshire to my dads. I never totally passed thank God. I've been here since. I'm on day 4. A month ago, I consulted my doctor about my drinking. We decided that I could quit on my own because I had done it before. This time he prescribed Naltrexone to assist. Dry for about 10 days, then back at it. I can't go back to my home right now, but I hate being out here in the sticks. Both mom and dad are trying to assist in getting me into inpatient rehab. I hope I can get in, but I'm sure that's weeks out. I talked to AA earlier today and really want to do a meeting a day for the interim. I want to do it near my home in hopes that my efforts will allow me to get back in my house. I miss my cats. My dad is acting kind of like the "warden" and I feel like I'm on Alcatraz. My mom is sympathetic to me coming back closer to home, maybe staying with her and I could proceed with the AA location I want to go to. Or maybe stay with my son, he lives alone in a house. I don't want to drink, alcohol is directly responsible for very many bad major decisions in my life. So I don't know if what I want to do qualifies for a recovery plan, someone tell me.

Stop Drinking (as stated, day 4)
Keep Taking the Naltrexone
Get AA ASAP and go EVERYDAY
Persue Getting into REHAB
Upon Completion, Stay with AA
Did I Mention Stop Drinking?

Thanks for the patience.....curtis[/LIST]
Old 08-16-2016, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

You make it sound like staying at your dad's will be an impediment to your staying sober. But it shouldn't. You plan, as sketched out, will work anywhere. SO start now. Let your actions (on getting and staying sober) speak for themselves and maybe your SO will let you come home.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Curtis!!

Sounds like you've been taken some real action to making Sobriety a reality, that is the real essence of plan, you can do this!!
Old 08-16-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
AA Member

i go to a meeting everyday unless i cant ... that rarely happens

tonight i go to the salvation army and sponsor guys

helps keep me out of self

God bless

Old 08-16-2016, 12:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I know I did the 6-year sober stint, so I know I can START again. But by me falling of that wagon, I suppose that is always a possibility. Last time, I simply quit. Life was better then, job situation was great. Wasn't broke. Now it's different, I have to climb back to being fully self-supportive. As far as where I stay, obviously, I'll do what I have to do. I hate this, but I am going to get after it.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Cwood
Old 08-16-2016, 02:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think my next biggest downfall will be patience. Trying to coordinate insurance estimator and body shop so I can rental wheels is becoming a pain. I want to get right into AA. Plus I have to coordinate getting back to my house to pick up my truck.....yada yada yeesh! I know good things don't happen over night, and that great things take even longer. My daily prayer is becoming very long, but necessary. I shall win the war.
Old 08-16-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Curtis! It sounds like a great plan. You can do this!
Old 08-16-2016, 02:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Kind of on a side note, during my 6-year sobriety, I conquered Hepatitus-C. I had to eat a handful of pills everyday and give myself an injection every Friday that messed me up until the following Sunday...still maintained my job. Took almost a year, but I did it and I won. So I know I can do this because I was terrified of needles.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also, I'm dead broke. I know I have to get back into the engineering world to be able to make up for lost time. In the meantime, I'm going to find a job that provides some income yet lets me focus on my recovery efforts. If I can just stay afloat, I have enough family support to make it. But I hate it this way.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe try sobriety first, then you can rebuild your life and soberly take care of things.

You CAN stay stopped again!!!!!
Old 08-16-2016, 03:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome cwood - you'll find a lot of support here, 24/7. I agree with sugarbear tho - maybe prioritise for now...trying to do everything at once is just going to overwhelm you.

D
Old 08-16-2016, 03:59 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I understand that. Beyond starting AA, there's not a lot to occupy my day, at least until I get rehab arrangements made. The guy I talked to at AA (phone) said, who knows, between now and rehab, the AA program may be all you need.

That would alleviate a lot of financial burden on me and my support team.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thinking about you and wishing you the best!

I'm glad you or someone else wasn't injured in the wreck! Another huge thing, it sounds like the law wasn't involved either!

Meetings will help with your isolation and great for your recovery. Also the Rehab sounds like a good deal to really focus on your recovery and build a great foundation again.

Having 6 years sober has to be a HUGE plus For you, great news!! Please keep us posted!! Great plan!!good luck!
Old 08-16-2016, 08:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was talking to my dad about AA. He's very supportive of my effort. He's 77 and battled alcohol as well, but not like I am doing. I mentioned the concept of 90 meetings in 90 days and he thinks that is absurd. He drinks occasionally. My intent is to not drink occasionally. I am staying at his place, 13 acres near Brookshire TX. I don't want it to feel like prison with him as the warden, but sometimes, it's just not conducive to what I think my plan is.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Day 5 here out in the sticks. Good news is my mom is coming to pick me up and I'll go stay with her today and tonight back in Houston. I plan to find an AA meeting for this evening. I feel like I'm going on a field trip. It depresses me, but at least I'm surrounded by people that love me.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
AA Member

Old 08-17-2016, 10:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Family is huge!!!

Hope the meeting goes well, I know it will!! They do suggest 90 meetings in 90 days, might overwhelm some.. I was so sick when I got involved in the program I bet I did 250 meetings in 90 days.. Really glad I did!!

Keep up the good work and keep executing to your plan!!!
Old 08-17-2016, 10:20 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

You can do this. I wish I could go to meetings, there are none around me and I work full time
Old 08-17-2016, 11:05 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks guys! I just located a meeting right down the street....6 PM it will be.