Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Quitting alcohol today. Any tips when you're a sales professional?

Notices

Old 08-14-2016, 03:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I decided last night after drinking all day that it's time to quit. Alcohol has become a coping mechanism for stress and anxiety which in turn have made both worse.

By most measures I have it pretty together in life, but I have trouble stopping drinking once I start.

Any tips or tricks for staying sober when you're a sales professional and there's pressure at least once a week to drink? I'm meeting up with my boss tomorrow who likes to hit the booze pretty hard...
Old 08-14-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm in no way prepared to give advice, because not only am I not a sales professional, but I've only been sober for 5 days. I'm absolutely no expert on the matter. I can only relay my recent personal experience that got me through these last few days... and that was talking to my doctors. I drank for the exact same reason, I'm an insanely anxious person... and the booze numbed me to that feeling, and I could go about my life. Without it, I was a wreck. But of course it, in turn, makes you far more anxious during those sober moments. So I made the very recent decision that I had to stop the endless cycle of chaos and destruction.

So what I did - be honest with a doctor you trust. I don't know if you have the extent of problem I did (drinking every day), but day one I went off it was filled with panic attacks, shaking, headaches... Not trying to scare you or that that would necessarily happen to you, just what happened to me.

Best of luck, and congrats for taking a courageous step forward!
Old 08-14-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My best advice to you in the beginning is to avoid (if possible) functions involving alcohol. If you must go, then you have to say you are on meds. This excuse will work for the better part of 3-6 months. After this period you have to switch your narrative to saying that you have enjoyed your non drinking and are going to continue. Sales guys love a champion - you can be the Champion of Sober Living and be idolized. Deep down most Sales people struggle with alcohol and know it. Just make sure not to come across as "better than thou" as this can demean your colleagues.

Good luck. And make sure to have a plan - read in here as much as possible and learn.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Hi there - bravo for deciding it is time to quit.

Joe has some excellent advice
Old 08-14-2016, 04:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post
My best advice to you in the beginning is to avoid (if possible) functions involving alcohol. If you must go, then you have to say you are on meds. This excuse will work for the better part of 3-6 months. After this period you have to switch your narrative to saying that you have enjoyed your non drinking and are going to continue. Sales guys love a champion - you can be the Champion of Sober Living and be idolized. Deep down most Sales people struggle with alcohol and know it. Just make sure not to come across as "better than thou" as this can demean your colleagues.

Good luck. And make sure to have a plan - read in here as much as possible and learn.
Right on, JoeCree.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I felt "pressured" too but finally I told them that it is my choice not to drink with co workers and they stopped asking me.

The bottom line is that it is your body, your choice and if someone doesn't like that, too bad. Drinking is not in your job description - I am sure of that.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JoeCree View Post

Thanks for the advice. I've always dealt with chronic stomach issues, which my co-workers are aware of so I though about using that as an excuse. I was also thinking if scheduling more client lunches and fewer dinners to reduce the pressure to drink.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I also was in a position where it seemed the thing to do was drink heavily. My boss was a big drinker too. The first few times you go out it will feel funny not drinking. But that's only in your head. In my case no one really cared or said anything when I declined to drink. You're smart to give up the drink. I wish I had earlier. I stopped drinking last Sept and retired this Jan.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:02 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks JD. I'm really optimistic that it won't be a big deal.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Manwithaplan83 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I've always dealt with chronic stomach issues, which my co-workers are aware of so I though about using that as an excuse. I was also thinking if scheduling more client lunches and fewer dinners to reduce the pressure to drink.
Yup, you can go with "ulcer" medication etc.. nobody will dare push for a drink or catch you off guard.
And yes, Lunch meetings are much safer vs dinners, wise idea.
Just remember that while you are thinking of it constantly, most people wont even care if you decline a drink - it's very acceptable in todays biz setting.

I must warn however... that planning your sobriety around work is smart, true sobriety has to be practiced almost 24/7 to maintain. It's a lifestyle change for the better and education is key. Understanding your addiction and triggers as you start this wonderful journey will help you understand yourself and future happinness.

Your professional life will reward you too. Sales can be quite easy with a sharp sober mind.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've been in sales for 10 years.
I've had an alcohol problem for 10 years.
Go figure, I never really thought about it.
It's definitely very common in the industry. Honestly though, I would think it would be handled just like any other. I know how stressful sales can be.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome ManWithPlan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 08-15-2016, 05:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
I've been in sales for 10 years.
I've had an alcohol problem for 10 years.
Go figure, I never really thought about it.
It's definitely very common in the industry. Honestly though, I would think it would be handled just like any other. I know how stressful sales can be.
There is a correlation but i think it goes deeper than that. Sales is like a drug to begin with: Highs and lows, so by default i think addictive personalities naturally gravitate to the profession.
Old 08-15-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Originally Posted by Manwithaplan83 View Post
As a side note... Not sure what the extent of your "stomach issues" are.... But after 7-10 days of quitting alcohol... All my "issues" went away.

Yes.. Lunch is way easier.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

My best friend is a sales guy. Every so often, he goes on "dry spells," when he doesn't drink for weeks or months at a time. (the rest of the time he drinks alcoholically - not sure how he does the quitting so easily). Anyway, when he's on business trips or sales calls that include taking clients out during his dry spells, he just says he's taking a break from drinking. He says it's amazing to him that most people don't care, and some even confess that they have quit drinking for good. It shouldn't be a big deal.

I do like the idea of saying you are on meds if that makes it more comfortable, but there's also nothing wrong with just being honest. And trust me, you will do better work and feel better about yourself sober.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
I'm in consulting, but I have a lot of travel and meetings/dinners with clients and coworkers. When I just order an iced tea or a soda, only seldom do I get asked why I'm not drinking. I just respond that I'm good for the night. That's it. I used to do the "medical" excuse, but I don't even bother with that anymore. Most people are more absorbed in themselves to care about what you are doing.

After 3.5 years of sobriety, my coworkers don't ask anymore.

And clients just want to have a good time. You can be funny, charming, and engaging without alcohol. Clients quickly forget what's in my glass when I'm telling jokes and stories and listening to theirs. I have not lost a single project because I chose not to drink. Drinking is by no means a requirement to success in landing sales.

Finally, as others have mentioned, don't go to events with drinking in early sobriety that are not a requirement of your job. Even after a few years sober, if I don't have a business reason to be around alcohol, I choose not to.

Good luck!
Old 08-15-2016, 10:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Manwithaplan!!