AVRT and attending group support/meetings

Old 08-13-2016, 09:05 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

AVRT and attending group support/meetings

I am learning more about AVRT and Rational Recovery. In RR, Jack Trimpey says do not attend support groups or meetings because this is your AV trying to trick you into drinking, and also if you are never going to drink again why would you need to attend a support group. I wonder if people who follow his method on here do indeed ditch other support groups. Obviously, this website is one but I like coming here, I don't go to AA/NA meetings any longer, but I do go to a day treatment centre where 12-step and more psychological groups go on 10-5 every weekday and not going would be a loss of most of my friends and people I know.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi James!

I'm a big fan of RR and the AVRT model....it's shown me how to stop drinking for good. Having said that, I believe everyone's journey is different and you need to do what's best for you.

If that means going to meetings for face to face support, then go to meetings! That doesn't mean you can't still follow the AVRT model. You can add pieces to your plan and that's okay! The bottom line is staying quit and how you achieve that is totally up to you!
xo
Old 08-13-2016, 10:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know that Trimpsey says not to do support groups and I think I understand the rationale. Why go to meetings if you're not going to drink? I personally have never been to any kind of meeting but I too really like SR. Probably I don't need support anymore to not drink, but I do like to stay grounded and remind myself how bad it was to be a drunk. Plus I like to give back to those that helped me when I was shaky in my early sobriety.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I know some who have gotten a lot out of RR and SMART meetings. They are based more on the tools to change our thinking patterns via REBT and have the same roots.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Do what feels right to you is my theory. Even AA says something like "take what you want and leave the rest"... At least I think that's AA. I personally don't go to meetings but, I do believe that people need people. Just my two cents...

Be careful though if you feel that the "relapse is part of recovery" ( not sure who says that but maybe AA) is going to be an excuse for you to drink.... Then leave that part there.
Old 08-15-2016, 12:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

To thine own self be true. Jack is pretty ruthless with his opinions but his program works! I take what I want from his theories and leave the rest just like AA says. Make your own path with all the awesome tools that are available!! What works for me may not work for you... and that's o.k. We all have the same goal!! DON'T DRINK whatever works work it!
Old 08-15-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I like to strengthen "me" (the "I" in "I will never drink again"). That helps me to recognize "it" in a more efficient manner ("it" being the beast/addictive voice).

Attending SMART meetings and reading secular, psychological recovery books and information helps to both strengthen the "I" and weaken the "it".

Personally, I'm prone to letting "it" get the best of me. For me, it seems one way to resolve that issue is to strengthen the "I" part of the AVRT equation, and F2F SMART meetings seems to be one of a number of ways to achieve that goal. Unfortunately, I've found that attending non-secular meetings tend to have the opposite effect.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Time2Rise what other books do you recommend on secular recovery besides RR? I love audio books on my Tablet. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
Time2Rise what other books do you recommend on secular recovery besides RR? I love audio books on my Tablet. Thanks.
Right now, I highly recommend Stop Drinking Now by Allen Carr. It has helped me realize that I'm not really depraving myself of anything by quitting alcohol. And the book does a decent job of exposing the cultural and social myths that perpetuate alcohol use and if not realized can make quitting difficult.

Jason Vale's Quit the Drink Easily is essentially the same book, but it is poorly written and a much more cumbersome read IMO. So I believe Carr's book is a better choice.

And while not directly recovery related, I've also been studying and reading about secular Buddhist practices, and that has helped me form a firmer psychological outlook and moral blueprint for living my life alcohol free. In addition, Buddhist philosophy also does a good job of exposing how our cravings and desires for various things, including alcohol, are mostly based on illusions and misconceptions.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:06 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Opps. That should be depriving, not depraving.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
This Naked Mind by Annie Grace is also getting lots of attention these days.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cool

Originally Posted by JustFine View Post
Do what feels right to you is my theory. Even AA says something like "take what you want and leave the rest"... At least I think that's AA...

Be careful though if you feel that the "relapse is part of recovery" (not sure who says that but maybe AA) is going to be an excuse for you to drink.... Then leave that part there.
Originally AA/AAer's have said, "...take what you need and leave the rest," but they were referring to what's heard in meetings (because it may, or may not, truly be AA).

AA definitely does NOT say, "Relapse is a part of recovery;" AA actually says........: "Relapse is NOT a part of recovery; it's a part of the disease/illness."

(o: