Notices

Day 3. - help?

Old 08-13-2016, 08:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 3. - help?

Hi,
I've been here before and made it beyond 90 days but then went on basically a year bender. I've graduated to harder stuff and so I've been through withdrawals before I'm scared this time around. I went on a really bad two week bender which ended with a lot of vodka and two bottles of wine in a 24 hour period of time and felt so scary when I started to sober up. Pressure in my head, chest, dizzy.. Like nothing I've experienced I'm sure because I've never drank that hard. It was my wake up. I have to stop this or I'm going to die. I made it through the first day okay even though feeling scary and almost went to the ER. Lots of pressure in my head. But i made it and actually felt better day 2 but then last night I had the worst insomnia. Today is day 3. Well maybe it's day two technically?? Okay so I am in day 3. Insomnia last night and today I have awful head pressure and gum pain. I also have jaw pain. I've never experienced this before and it's very uncomfortable. No fever, no chills, no shakes but the head pressure and gum pain is awful. I guess I have four options and would love for anyone to weigh in with their experience/wisdom/suggestions. I'd like to do this at home because I really have to work Monday and I fear going somewhere for detox will take that away for me. But here is what I feel my options are and again I truly appreciate your feedback:

1. Local detox place that I really know nothing about which scares me (I have bad anxiety I should point out - even worse now going through withdrawals of course). Don't even know if they have availability.

2. ER

3. Do this at home - am I not already through the worst? If I could just get my gums to feel better...

4. Buy some wine and have just a little. At least promise myself not more than one bottle just to wean myself down from this last horrible bender. Promise myself that I will NOT do this again.

Your advice is appreciated. I'm pretty scared right now.

Thank you
Old 08-13-2016, 08:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Ps

I got out of my pajamas just in case I needed to run to the ER. So that's how I am in bed right now. In street clothes "just in case". Ugh.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Detox or ER. Go.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

If you need a dr. Go now. They tell me folks detoxing can have strokes.

Otherwise, Check the stickies.

Day 3 or so is almost over the physical withdrawal. I drank harder than you and didn't die. But, you never know.

I went to the ER once before. Thought i had a stroke. One side of my face went numb. I told the dr. I had a few drink. 8 tests later...and 8 hours later..and $8k later...I was released. Thank God I had decent insurance.

I figured he kept me that long because he was checking to see if I was going to go into seizure or whatever....

Anyway...

This might be your last wake up call. The booze damages your body obviously, but as important...it seems to be overlooked in much media..is the brain damage.

The brain damage for me has drug on...and on...and on. It has gotten better, but physical I am fairly fit, but the brain is still battling.

It is motivation...at 15 months sober...to never drink again.

Booze is a govt. Sanctioned toxin that weakens anyone that drinks it. After many years of abuse, it eventually will be part of what kills those that don't stop.

No thanks. I want to live.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Just a Girl Trying to Make It...

ER, they can medically supervise you and send you home with meds to detox.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Go to the ER. Your symptoms can worsen. Mine certainly did day 4 or 5.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Alcohol withdrawal is very scary. I'm on day 3 morning, and the last two days have been horrible. I couldn't keep any food down, not even a bit of water- so nauseas - even last night. I have never had a hang over last that long.
Funny thing is I didn't even drink that much. I had half a mickey of gin. I can drink a lot more on other days. My body is rejecting it.

I didn't get medical help, and this morning is an improvement.

Do try to get yourself to ER or local detox for your peace of mind.
Local detox would be better, but they usually have wait lists (well here they do).
ER-they don't really like alcoholics/drinkers, but try going there. They will take care of you medically...just with less respect.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Call detox center to see if they have a bed. They're way more sympathetic and give you resources for help. The ER will treat you like an addict piece of crap. Well, that's what happened to me. I just went through this. Monday, I knew I had to get medically detoxed. I couldn't do it at home. Although, I say since you're on day 3, that was my worst day! The ER treated me terribly, even though I was very kind and I was VERY scared, humiliated and ashamed. Theyou didn't even give me an i.v. or meds and my heart rate was between 120 and 160! My blood pressure was 176/135!! No meds or anything. They did blood work and gave me an ekg.it was mortifying. After all that they told me that I had to go to a detox center. So, my friend took me there. I was in really rough shape by then. They got me through intake quickly and gave me valium, klonopin, nausea meds and Vistaril. Not sure if I spelled those right. The shakes stopped and I laid down and slept for a while. They gave me meds every 3 hours as needed. It was so much better than doing it at home, which I've done twice. I'm on day 5 now. I stayed there for 4 days. I am not on any meds now. I hated the feeling from them thank god. I am still really sleepy, but last night I slept great. No sweats and no nightmares. The 3rd night I had horrifying and very vivid nightmares.
This is just MY experience. I was so scared at first and the first day was pretty hard. I cried a lot, but the nurses and staff were really nice and they had seen it all so they hugged me through it. I'm so glad I did it. Hopefully I won't have to again. Good luck. Hope you feel better soon. You're almost past the worst part, but just know there's help out there. A detox center won't judge and make you feel ashamed like the ER will.
Big hugs.