Enabling?

Old 08-12-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Enabling?

I have a friend that reached out to me in Feb this year. I hadn't talked to him in 19 years. I sort of wish he didn't find me, that pesky Facebook. Well we have rekindled our friendship and he has made friends with my husband and we have hired him to work with our company. He telecommutes as he lives in WA.

He is in separation with his wife and we were advocates of getting that back together because he was living in his car, etc... No luck there.

Come to find out, he has an addiction to meth. He says he isn't an addict but a partier... He doesn't use daily BUT he uses...

Sooo.... since I know that should we fire him? He is under the table so there wouldn't be any grounds for HR/legal issues. We are paying for his housing and a small salary each week that we put on a pre-paid Visa. No cash. But it's very easy to wheel and deal and get cash anyway.

He hasn't gone back to his wife, currently living in an old RV on someones property. He does his job well, so I don't know if I should fire him or what? He doesn't think he has a problem. I don't want to convince him that he does. But I have too much pain and past dealing with this disease.

My husband and I are focusing on our own sobriety and don't really want to fall into full blown enabling to this guy.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Is he performing his duties? Is he in a position where he could steal from the company or open you to liability? These are all things I would consider.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eauchiche View Post
Is he performing his duties? Is he in a position where he could steal from the company or open you to liability? These are all things I would consider.
He is performing his duties well. There is no way he can steal from us. I almost think I should make him take a drug test to continue to work with us. Even though I'm certain he wouldn't pass. It is tough because I care about him so much.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

since you hired him, you have a responsibility as his employer....what you THINK you know about his circumstances are different than his ability to perform his job.

it is not your JOB to manipulate or force him into a certain direction because you think that is BEST for him. if he wants to live in a broken down RV, not go back to his wife, that is HIS decision.

my employer does not get involved in my personal life, unless and until my job performance seems to be affected or diminished in some way.
Old 08-12-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well is a made up job that we don't even need. Just trying to help the brother out. We pay him under that table so it's not a legit HR/Legal job. Just don't want to support his habit. Would rather just be his friend. Confused?? He posts those things on Craigslist in the personal section using the acronym parTy. Which means smoke meth. So it's undeniable. When the T is capitalized it means Tina or smoke meth. He did use his company email for that so that would be embarrassing if that got out. But I just struggle with getting him out of our business or not. Ugh.
Old 08-12-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ugh Sunshine. I can understanding wanting nothing to do with this guy and feeling badly for him too.

If you don't really need the work he does, could you give him a months notice to find other work?
Old 08-12-2016, 07:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bekindalways View Post
Ugh Sunshine. I can understanding wanting nothing to do with this guy and feeling badly for him too.

If you don't really need the work he does, could you give him a months notice to find other work?
I think that's what will have to happen. I cannot see this being good for my own sobriety and the burden it is bringing to us worrying about if he is o.k. or using, or what...?? Now we have our customer service phone line forwarded to him and I'm nervous if he answers while tweaking. So he is a super duper good hearted guy. I love him no matter what. But I don't feel right about this. It goes against the grain of what I'm trying to implement in my own life.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I second giving him a month's notice. You don't have to say why. Meth is a scary drug, and even tweakers are dang resourceful. You may think he doesn't have access to your cash- but he could figure it out.
Old 08-15-2016, 09:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sunshine72 View Post
He did use his company email for that so that would be embarrassing if that got out. But I just struggle with getting him out of our business or not.
A company email should only be used for company business. I would be bothered if my employees were using company email to sell kitty cats and hairbows on craigslist, much less to look for meth.

Also, is it legal to be paying him the way you are? If he should get into trouble, can you also get into trouble? (I don't know much about those things.)

I think it really comes down to this - you shouldn't be worried about the recovery/addiction/enabling paradigm with an employee, in my opinion. The question really is "is this a good arrangement for my business or are there too many risks involved?" Emotions never mix very well with business, in my opinion.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:18 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hes a friend family first. The job isnt needed just made up as a favor to him to give him a chance at life. We have disabled his email and ability to answer incoming phone calls. He is spun today. So he has been tasked with passing a drug test before he will represent our business again. So he has a choice and that burden is his to carry now.