Notices

I am ready

Old 08-12-2016, 01:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am ready

So after being here for the past two days and reading lots of your posts I have decided a bunch of things which I need to write down:

1) I am claiming back the 15 sober days I had before a tiny slip this Wednesday. I came from 3 very heavy months, had a hell of a first week (fever, insomnia, headaches, sweating like crazy and having nightmares every night) but have been feeling good since then. I did have three drinks on Wednesday, but I still have 5 cans in my fridge, and instead of thinking "I decided to drink the three" (which I don't remember why I did) I will go with "I decided not to drink the 5" (which I do remember why I didn't). So 17 days it is!

2) I am going to a music festival tomorrow because I love music and, even though I drank heavily every single time I've been to one, I am 100% sure I will not drink this time. And more, I'll have a hell of a good time sober, I ve been wanting to see some of this bands for 20 yrs, before I even knew what drinking was, so I am very sorry, but alcohol can f*** off as I m not giving in.

3) Wednesday's slip made me really upset to start with, but this is what brought me to SR. As I already said, the stuff you guys wrote here has really changed the way I think about my drinking and recovery. I don't care if it's early days, the last time I was this determined to do something was when I decided to quit coke, and I haven't touched that for almost 6 years. (at some point I will share this properly, I am remembering a lot about that period lately).

4) I can't stress this enough, you guys are awesome. SR is like a combination of people kicking your ass and patting you on the head, and personally I think everyone quitting alcohol needs both. I surely do.

Have a great weekend everyone, I definitely will.

P
Old 08-12-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by MrPL View Post
) I am going to a music festival tomorrow because I love music and, even though I drank heavily every single time I've been to one,
Good luck.

I drank heavily at every concert I went to. That's why I waited two years before attempting one sober.
Old 08-12-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Good luck.

I drank heavily at every concert I went to. That's why I waited two years before attempting one sober.
Thanks doggonecarl. I know it may be tricky, but I can see the boost staying sober for this one will give to quitting for good, so it just has to happen.
Old 08-12-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Good for you and have fun at the music festival.

I hope you will enjoy the music and cherish the sober day. I highly recommend you stay hydrated .. Lots of water !
Old 08-13-2016, 03:26 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I did it! I did it!

Feeling so good now, I can't think of another standard situation that will make drinks more inviting than they were today, my head was giving me all sorts of excuses: I am not driving home, don't have to go to work so could easily deal with a hangover tomorrow, not seeing wife or kids for another week, I was on my own so nobody to embarrass, everyone was drunk around me, every single time I did this before I was drunk too and on top of it all it was really sunny and a cold beer would have tasted amazing.

I know there'll be other tricky situations, especially as time goes by and I get more confident, but now I got another card up my sleeve, now I can say "if I handled the festival, I can handle this too!".

Sorry to keep going on about this, you are all probably tired of reading it, but it's a major step for me! Promise no more festival talk from now on!

P
Old 08-13-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Way to go !!!
Old 08-13-2016, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Nice job MrPL. One of my attempts at quitting ended 2 weeks in when I went to a concert by myself.

I'm glad you made it. I would recommend thinking in advance about escape plans for situations like that, just to have a plan B.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

Glad you're here.

FWIW, using is using. I chose to count clean and sober days, not mostly clean and sober. Honesty is vital in recovery.

I'd think twice before being so cavalier attending an event where (by your own admission) you got loaded every time you went.

If it seems like I'm being hard on you, I'm not. It's just not my first rodeo. I've seen these stories before. I know the endings.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm glad you were able to enjoy the concert and remain sober.;-)
Old 08-14-2016, 01:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks guys.

IvanMike, no offence taken and I get your point.

I guess a lot of that was me trying to set the scene up for yesterday. Needed to try something different this time as like you I ve been around a few times, lost count how many, and the way my head works I need to know when to be humble and when to be confident (this had to be a confident one).

Best wishes
P
Old 08-14-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love the festival talk. It's ok to love music, go to concerts and not drink. Your note on my thread earlier really inspired me as well in regards to my upcoming GNR concert. I'm proud of you.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:13 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Festival talk never gets old... Glad you enjoyed it sober!
Old 08-15-2016, 12:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks teatreeoil007, this was the first of many to come!

Thanks sunshine72, checking in here really helped, I used my phone to keep an eye on the weekender thread, detinitely recommend you do the same around the GnR gig if you can.

P
Old 08-15-2016, 01:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm happy for you, keeping healthy fun in your life without having to cut it out of fear is great. Keep going!
Old 08-15-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I will I have the app on my phone. I'll need the support. I know I'll enjoy a kick as@ show sober. Actually loud hard rock is a high on its own. That high is way better than any substance!!!
Old 08-15-2016, 05:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Never stop celebrating your success that's what helps to keep us going. So great to read the joy in your post. well done
Old 08-15-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Festival talk and all that is just not for me. But great job staying sober during something that was a test. HOWEVER.....

You don't mention a plan- will and the "desire to stop drinking" (as we say is the only requirement to be in AA) is NOT a plan. What are you going to do in your every day life? There won't always be festivals and, as you describe them, events that you can plan special sobriety for and around (how I read your motivation and self-talk). How about today? Normal work days and normal ups and downs of life?

Now would be a PERFECT time to come up with a program of action to get and stay sober. Whether it's AA or not, recovery is about changing your entire life.

Good luck.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:16 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Festival talk and all that is just not for me. But great job staying sober during something that was a test. HOWEVER.....

You don't mention a plan- will and the "desire to stop drinking" (as we say is the only requirement to be in AA) is NOT a plan. What are you going to do in your every day life? There won't always be festivals and, as you describe them, events that you can plan special sobriety for and around (how I read your motivation and self-talk). How about today? Normal work days and normal ups and downs of life?

Now would be a PERFECT time to come up with a program of action to get and stay sober. Whether it's AA or not, recovery is about changing your entire life.

Good luck.
Hi August152015,

This is a very good point. I definitely want to stop drinking, I do need a plan and I agree with you that now is the perfect time to do it.

I don't want to change my entire life though as I really like it the way it is, it's more a case of adding to it and learning to appreciate and enjoy what I already got (which luckily and miraculously hasn't been too affected by my history of substance abuse).

I will think carefully about this one and start a new thread so I can keep track of it, this is definitely not another month off.

Thanks for reminding me!
P
Old 08-15-2016, 10:37 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ery-plans.html
Old 08-15-2016, 11:26 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks wolf, been having a look at these since Dee posted earlier. Having some ideas, I ll start an accountability thread to keep it all there (that's part of the plan! Hehe)
P