Notices

Brain

Old 08-11-2016, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain

Hello.
I've posted before on this topic,but am wondering am I the only one whom alcohol has affected their brain permanently?
I am barely functioning,and it has been 17 months.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

If you haven't already, it would be a good time to talk to a Dr about it.
Old 08-11-2016, 12:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, absolutely. I mean, no, you're not the only one.

I know from your previous posts that you have consulted doctors about this already.

For me, one key has been in letting go of my old expectations of what my brain could do. I've done my best to establish work-arounds ,and to detach from the emotional angst caused by comparing the new me to the old pre-alcoholic me.

Also, there's still lots of time for your brain to heal and develop new neural pathways. I made a lot of progress between 2 years and 3 years sober. Hopefully you can too.

Meanwhile, just stay sober and do your best with what you have to work with -- that's all any of us can do!
Old 08-11-2016, 01:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't know your particular circumstances but I've been there in a way that had me convinced I was ruined for life. Recovery has been measured in terms of years, but everything I thought was permanently damaged and lost came back. My own addiction history involved a lot of drugs that wreaked havoc with my neurochemistry, and it took a long time for me to grasp the patience to realize this was a journey of years back to mental health instead of days, weeks or months. I'm probably 4 years from my last drug bender and am still improving. I've reached a point where I feel as sharp as I ever have and have regained my mental spark. It's easy to fall into a trap of believing you are permanently damaged and focusing on it so much that you spend all your time finding proof with everything that happens becoming another self-reinforcing validation of how messed up you are.

Give yourself time. Wishing you all the best.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Hone

I'm sorry you feel you're barely functioning and that the Drs you've seen haven't given you the answers you require.

what makes you think it's 'alcoholic brain damage' tho? have you been Googling?

D
Old 08-11-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Brain

Hi D
I drank for 40 years heavily.When I stopped drinking,I got delusional and couldn't eat,sleep,or drink.I had one ultrasound that said cirrhosis,and one that said fatty liver.So I have physical damage also.
I had memory blackouts,hangovers,high tolerance.I was treated with antidepressant meds but nothing worked.A year and a half later I still have no appetite,sleep,etc.It's a living hell for me and my family.My long term memory is gone.I started drinking at 16 when the brain is not fully grown,and I feel that the damage started back then,and completely changed my personality,although I didn't realize it.I've talked to people on here that have had issues,but nothing to my extent.At the time,some said I should see a neurologist,but there is nothing they would be able to do for me.I am so ashamed.
Old 08-11-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

At the time,some said I should see a neurologist,but there is nothing they would be able to do for me.
you won't know that for sure unless you see a neurologist tho.

D
Old 08-19-2016, 07:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hone, I wish you would see the Neurologist. Never give up, keep trying until you get some help.

Surely someone can find an answer.

I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly.

You have nothing to be ashamed about here, you're with friends.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi, I went to a neurologist when I was worried and although my worry was a bit over the top given my personal circumstances I insisted on every test under the sun- MRI, CAT scan, ECG, EEG, full blood work, full body sonogram, x-rays, you name it. I have pages and pages of medical records, cd's of hours of watching my brain activity under various stimulations, all of it. Nothing wrong other than a slightly oversized liver and slightly elevated liver enzymes.
If you are this worried please go see a neurologist and explain the situation. Say yo u want the tests for peace of mind. Then see your family doctor and talk about other options. There could be something as simple as adding some vitamins to your diet. Exercise is always good, gets the blood pumping and moving through, things moving along assist in terms of healing. There are also those "hanging upside down" things at some gyms. While you shouldn't go completely head down, just at a slant, some say that is good for "changing the blood" throughout your body and promoting healing. Talk to your doctor again, you don't have to suffer like this. that's not to say it will all go away but at least you can find out if this is all normal.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Hone

I'm sorry you feel you're barely functioning and that the Drs you've seen haven't given you the answers you require.

what makes you think it's 'alcoholic brain damage' tho? have you been Googling?

D
Dee, don't mean to side track your thread hone but Dee your last question made
Googlism is a real thing. You should Google it. Lol

I agree with everyone else hone. Get as much ruled out as possible for your peace of mind and keep making healthy choices. I hope you get to feeling better over time. I really do.
Old 08-26-2016, 10:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
Hi, I went to a neurologist when I was worried and although my worry was a bit over the top given my personal circumstances I insisted on every test under the sun- MRI, CAT scan, ECG, EEG, full blood work, full body sonogram, x-rays, you name it. I have pages and pages of medical records, cd's of hours of watching my brain activity under various stimulations, all of it. Nothing wrong other than a slightly oversized liver and slightly elevated liver enzymes.
If you are this worried please go see a neurologist and explain the situation. Say yo u want the tests for peace of mind. Then see your family doctor and talk about other options. There could be something as simple as adding some vitamins to your diet. Exercise is always good, gets the blood pumping and moving through, things moving along assist in terms of healing. There are also those "hanging upside down" things at some gyms. While you shouldn't go completely head down, just at a slant, some say that is good for "changing the blood" throughout your body and promoting healing. Talk to your doctor again, you don't have to suffer like this. that's not to say it will all go away but at least you can find out if this is all normal.
Hello
How did you get a referral to neurologist?My husband and family refuse to believe I have brain damage,and the only way I can convince them is to see a neurologist,but I have to have a referral from another doctor.Any advice would be helpful.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Do you have a family doctor, hone? I'm sure he/she would give you one.

Does your insurance say you need a referral?