Notices

I had some alcohol

Old 08-10-2016, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had some alcohol

So after 5 or 6 months sober my two criteria for drinking ( see previous post) were met today and i had a drink.

I never intended to be totally abstinent and im not sure how i feel. Im on holiday at the moment, abroad with wife and children. We were watching a show earlier and i decided to order some sangria- albeit very weak sangria for my wife and me. I only had a couple of glasses - it was fine- no big deal - didnt feel any affects from it - didnt want any more and in fact the event was so unimpressive i doubt i will consider drinking the rest of the time we are here.
It tasted quite nice but i actually think i prefer the taste of lime and soda or lemonade.
On reflection, i couldnt even think about putting my body through what i used to and the thought of a hangover is just a turn off.
Im glad alcohol no longer has the power it used to have over me, and i am extremely aware of the dangers of moderation - know that route is unlikely to suceed. When i first gave up i longed for the time when i could only drink one night a week but i no longer want this as its a waste of time energy and money and ive got better goals to achieve now.
I just needed to post as im feeling rather reflective.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure what you mean? You don't intend to abstain from alcohol. But you don't intend to moderate your drinking. So, are you planning to drink 'occasionally'? That sounds like moderating to me.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Maybe in a way it was a good thing but i would be very careful. One drink for me and i know i'd be back to where i was.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, I did the same back in 2007 and spent 6 years digging my grave again.
Good luck with your "moderate". It never worked for me or countless others on this site.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Is so early for you to be testing the waters. I know it is just a sangria, but maybe tomorrow it will be just a beer. And so on and so on. Snowball effect in play here. Wishing you well.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Im glad alcohol no longer has the power it used to have over me
I hate 2X4 posts but because of the outcome of my last go round with moderation I have to do this.

The above quote in your post is a lie you're telling yourself my friend. If alcohol had no power over you, you wouldn't have drank.

I apologize for sounding snarky and I seriously don't mean to. Posts like this make my hair stand on end. I can tell you that every time you pick up what leads you to say it's time to quit again will always be worse than the last time. There is no end in sight. You're on this board for a reason.

As long as you tip that glass to your mouth alcohol is still running your life.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

LadyBlue is right. I've been there myself thinking I could moderate.
Good luck.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:28 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Jtmlk View Post
I never intended to be totally abstinent and im not sure how i feel.
Actually you did intend abstinence. In June you wrote:

I have instantly recovered from my addiction the day I said I will never drink again to myself and meant it.
Today your committment waivered. Maybe what you feel is guilt.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I returned to the drink a few times and thought that I had it under control but, it never worked out for me.
MB
Old 08-10-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't lose sight of the things that bought you here jtmlk

Hello all
I've been browsing this site for months and have finally signed up. I am 46 and had alcohol issues for about 30 years. Have been seeing an alcohol counsellor and gave up two days ago.
I have researched all the dangers off detoxing cold turkey and know it's not the best option but I'm bored of drinking and hate who I've become. A medical inpatient detox would take months of continuing drinking.
So feeling a bit sweaty and have a headache plus I'm finding home life quite difficult but am determined to do it this time- one day at a time.
I'm likely to lose friends who are all drinking buddy's but it's time to be selfish and think about healing myself.
D
Old 08-10-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree
moderation sucks.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:47 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for your comments is given me things to think about
Old 08-11-2016, 04:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I see a lot of contradictions in your post. As others have said....moderation is a dangerous road, your AV is alive and talking, and I'd add - I haven't heard you talk about a program you are following.

Also..."medical detox taking months to complete"....not in the strict immediate sense and while things like some of the PAWS symptoms etc are scary and definitely real - it is not a hell you have to live through for months, most likely. And the other side is SO much better and really will arrive before you know it. This part sounds like an excuse to me if you're using it.

Good luck. I hope you look around and read- in earnest this time, perhaps (we have all said the things you did that people quoted back to you, and not meant them one bit).
Old 08-11-2016, 04:57 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Give it a miss Jtmlk, take it as a close shave and enjoy the rest of your holiday.

Bruno.
Old 08-11-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

I know that I cannot moderate. Tried and failed.

My drink of choice now is Peach Iced Tea!