Notices

Too Sensitive?

Old 08-10-2016, 04:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Too Sensitive?

I was half way brought up in the new era of "being sensitive", increasing sensitivity for men not just something reserved for women to tend to. Well, I not just sure about it in myself.

Sometimes I think I am too sensitive and this has contributed to drinking to try and dull the pain I feel for others and myself. I am highly sensitive to the pain in others. I don't know how I got this way or even if it's good or bad or in between. All I know is sometimes I feel like I need some sort of "pain shield" to protect me from taking on too much of other people's pain.

Anyone else have this issue?
Old 08-10-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I am sensitive to others when they are critiqued in front of me. It brings out my Mama Bear and I want to defend them.

What you are talking about has an actual name. You are considered an empath. Empaths take on a lot of emotional stuff from others and it can cause them personal pain. I can't say that it is good or bad. It must be hard though.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Im not saying its a bad thing or a good thing but i had to worry about myself before i was worrying about someone else. I use to be somewhat sensitive to others and felt bad for them to a degree but then i was also burned many times by that. So i changed and became careless in a way. some people you just cant reach or be like that to they will take advantage.
Old 08-10-2016, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by teatreeoil007 View Post
Sometimes I think I am too sensitive and this has contributed to drinking to try and dull the pain I feel for others and myself. I am highly sensitive to the pain in others. I don't know how I got this way or even if it's good or bad or in between. All I know is sometimes I feel like I need some sort of "pain shield" to protect me from taking on too much of other people's pain.

Anyone else have this issue?
Yes. I get so sensitive that watching a sensitive/embarrassing moment in a movie or TV show makes me flinch if not stop watching all together. It also allows others to manipulate me and take advantage of me. Or did. As you say, it is one of the many reasons that I drink.

What helped somewhat is exposure therapy (helped me that is, I am not advising you do it, but worth knowing it exists). Same thing that people use to get over irrational fears (flying, spiders, etc.). I won't bore you with it but if it sounds interesting it is easy to search for.

Good luck.

KP
Old 08-10-2016, 06:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!

I didn't know there was a official thing called exposure therapy, but have definitely heard of similar modalities....

It's like there is this "balance" (if you will) between being sensitive ENOUGH to be a warm and caring person but not being so sensitive that I take in more pain than is healthy for me....I'm finding it sort of helpful these days to listen to those around...the one's who don't seem to take it on themselves...for I know I'm somehow deficient in this area.