Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What magic in life would you have missed today if you were hungover in bed

Notices

Old 08-10-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

So many if us have missed out on life's unexpected surprises or the little things that make our days and all because we stayed in bed or on the couch nursing a hangover.

What happened today that you could have missed out on?

For me it was a crab about the size of a football sashshaying itself across the patio. I live in FL by the water so I have had the opportunity to see lots of wildlife on my patio. But this critter was a new one!

Please share!
Old 08-10-2016, 01:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

the sunrise
Old 08-10-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The hummingbird on my patio hibiscus, six inches from my face.

Dozens and dozens of monarch butterflies on my butterfly bush.

My precious husband bringing me me coffee. Priceless.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Being there for my six year old, in a very heart connected way, as he told me about boys that are teasing and kicking him at school. Next step is to go and talk to the school about it, something I couldn't have done if I was hung over today. There's no way I'm abandoning my son over issues like this. I want to show him that if he gets up the courage to talk about problems, someone will listen and be proactive in helping him sort it out. He feels really hopeful now, and I am so grateful I can do this for him.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Went for a run today. Not sure if it was magical, but I am sure that I never would've done it while hungover.

Last edited by U75; 08-10-2016 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Typos
Old 08-10-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pixus View Post
Being there for my six year old, in a very heart connected way, as he told me about boys that are teasing and kicking him at school. Next step is to go and talk to the school about it, something I couldn't have done if I was hung over today. There's no way I'm abandoning my son over issues like this. I want to show him that if he gets up the courage to talk about problems, someone will listen and be proactive in helping him sort it out. He feels really hopeful now, and I am so grateful I can do this for him.
That got me choked up. Wow! I'm an alcoholic and so was my mother. Whenever I read stories of parents coming through and really connecting with and being there sober for their kids, it just gets me right in the feels. I wanted that so badly as a child.

I feel proud of you and happy for you both. Please keep going!
Thank you!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Melina View Post
That got me choked up. Wow! I'm an alcoholic and so was my mother. Whenever I read stories of parents coming through and really connecting with and being there sober for their kids, it just gets me right in the feels. I wanted that so badly as a child.

I feel proud of you and happy for you both. Please keep going!
Thank you!
Thanks Melina

It went really well this morning! I'm very happy I advocated so strongly for him. The school jumped right on it. Kids were spoken to today and parents are going to be contacted. My little guy got sent around to all the class rooms with a fake note for the teachers, just so they could get to know his face so they can keep an eye on him in the school yard. I'm about to go pick him up now, can't wait to see his little face, hug him tightly and see how he's feeling now that it's all out in the open and things are beginning to be done about it!
Old 08-10-2016, 10:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I pulled weeds, wasn't magical. However, this evening I went tanning and usually I wouldn't do that because I would've been drunk. After tanning, I decided I wasn't drunk so I was going to drive by my old place. I lost two of my dogs in the span of six months. When I lived there they were so young and vibrant, walking by my old place I sat there and took in all of the happy memories, I never would have done that if I was drunk. It was a great moment.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nothing spectacular here, but I surely would've missed out on feeling good! That's for darn sure.

But a wonderful sight to behold this afternoon was the sun's rays coming down through the parting clouds.

I tend to look up often at the changing skies.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:42 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I wouldve missed going into work and getting kudos for a job well done the past couple of days.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

the Giants game, early start 9 am west coast
Old 08-13-2016, 04:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Running 20 miles in preparation for a marathon in 9 weeks.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:15 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I started and finished a home improvement project today, played with my ten month old puppy, and went for a really nice walk with said puppy. If I was hung over/drinking I'd have skipped the project (like I've been doing for three months now until this weekend) and skipped the walk.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
waking down

Farmer's Market produce and awesome empanadas.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Went on a walk in the park with my dogs where I found a sick/injured duck. I was able to get her rescued and taken to an animal shelter. Even if they have to euthanize her, at least I helped in ending her suffering. I hope she is ok, though. I would not have discovered the duck had I been hungover all day!
Old 08-13-2016, 05:05 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I wouldn't have had the delicious bowl of Teff porridge with keffir and maple syrup that I enjoyed just now whilst sitting in my sunny loungeroom, surrounded by happy kids and my beautiful guy. I would've had a slug from a vodka bottle and wished I were dead instead.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:01 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I definitely would not have gone on a 3.5 mile run on the trail outside my apartment. Been banged up with an injury and a incredible hike in the white mountains last weekend (another example), so getting back out there was awesome! Endorphins way better than alcohol now!
Old 08-13-2016, 10:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For me it's still magical just being fully present in my life. Being truly awake.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Brother of the Wolf

Seeing a rattlesnake sun himself on a rock in my front yard in the morning sun.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I wouldn't be applying for university right now!! Very excited and nervous!