Notices

In Hospital - 4 days not drinking

Old 08-09-2016, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In Hospital - 4 days not drinking

Hi everyone!

I've been wanting to quit drinking for a long time but always have given in. I hate how I feel the next day after drinking, but once that wears off by afternoon I go out and buy more.... Til Saturday, when I woke up with a raging case of pancreatitis which landed me in the ER.

They admitted me and now I'm still here. Since I've been here, I obviously haven't been able to drink. Glad I'm here because one thing that kept me going was fear of withdrawal. Will be going home tomorrow. At first felt like I would never drink again because of the pain, but now that the pain has worn off the thought of wanting wine is in the back of my head again.

Already have done research and found a women's only group I will check out once I'm discharged.

just wanted to rejoin the boards after only being a lurker occasionally when I felt desperate. Now being proactive.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry you ended up in hospital summerfall - but I'm glad you're ok, sober and posting now

Welcome back

D
Old 08-09-2016, 03:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi summerfall
Glad you are OK. Please take your unfortunate stay in the Hospital as a serious wake-up call. I was 6 days in the ICU after a withdrawal seizure, and I was FINISHED with wine, 30 days later I slipped. That was the first of 4. During the 4th I barely drank but was violently ill. I'm lucky not to have full-on relapsed.

Be vigilant and brave. You will succeed.
Old 08-09-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Summerfall
Old 08-09-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I woke up with a raging case of pancreatitis

Is this anyway related to heavy drinking?
Old 08-09-2016, 03:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back and I'm so glad that you've decided to be more active on the boards. I'm sorry you ended up in the hospital, but hopefully this will be a turning point for you.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:16 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Summerfall View Post
Hi everyone!

I've been wanting to quit drinking for a long time but always have given in. I hate how I feel the next day after drinking, but once that wears off by afternoon I go out and buy more.... Til Saturday, when I woke up with a raging case of pancreatitis which landed me in the ER.

They admitted me and now I'm still here. Since I've been here, I obviously haven't been able to drink. Glad I'm here because one thing that kept me going was fear of withdrawal. Will be going home tomorrow. At first felt like I would never drink again because of the pain, but now that the pain has worn off the thought of wanting wine is in the back of my head again.

Already have done research and found a women's only group I will check out once I'm discharged.

just wanted to rejoin the boards after only being a lurker occasionally when I felt desperate. Now being proactive.
Glad you are feeling better. Anything like me you will want to celebrate this feeling, but I am messed up and you have a chance now of sober living.
Good Luck.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad you are safe. Please work on a plan...just saying you want to quit drinking will not be enough....I say this out of LOVE because I could never, myself, be successful without a recovery plan. Sobriety is WAY different than not drinking...but so much more rewarding.
Be good to yourself!
Old 08-10-2016, 09:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
I woke up with a raging case of pancreatitis

Is this anyway related to heavy drinking?
Yes.

Leezer, in my message I mention that I already have somewhere I will be going

Thanks for the messages! Hoping to go home today as I feel better.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:27 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back Summerfall!! I'm glad you are feeling better and will be heading home. You are smart to plan on attending a meeting. I struggled with some health issues the past two years and finally got sober seven months (and ten days, but who's counting ):-) ago. I had been in the hospital on several occasions and would stop drinking immediately after, but then would pick up again. I stopped for good January 1st, and my physical and mental health have both greatly improved.

In addition to your meetings you should join the August class and read and post on here daily, it really does help.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Summer.

Same thing happened to me over a week ago. I've had to go on a special diet and I never want to go through that pain again. You've probably googled pancreatitis and all the issues that can go along with repeated attacks, its not an organ you want to mess with! It's not regenerative like the liver, once it's damaged, it's damaged forever and the issues that can stem from that damage, aren't good. I really recommend learning everything you can about it. The fear of the pain, and of the damage involved, has made drinking alcohol repulsive and frightening to me.

I really hope you find a way to sobriety through this, it actually feels like a gift to me now!

All the best.