Notices

What’s Your Plan B?

Old 08-08-2016, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What’s Your Plan B?

Hey Everyone,

I wasn’t going to post and then I thought I may be helping someone, so the decision was made for me.

SR has been a foundation of my recovery plan for years now, logging in, replying to threads, reading the boards, meeting new people and helping others, not to mention all the lighthearted non recovery threads I get involved in.

But recently I found myself with simply put internet connection issues, the place I had called home every evening after work I now couldn’t guarantee to be able to access, the resource I depended upon was no longer dependable, I went from posting each and every day to frustration and a noticeable absence.

So I was then left with 2 options, bide my time and hang in there, or get creative and resourceful, I choose the latter, I did a bit of research on meetings in my area, and for anyone who knows me, meetings haven’t really been my thing, apart from the other side of my story when I have attended both Al-Anon and Alateen, but I thought well needs must and it’s time to change things up, so lets get on with it.

As expected it was a very positive experience, I met new people, I had to tweak my evening schedule somewhat, but sitting late into the night discussing Sobriety was a productive new chapter in my recovery, but what made it for me was meeting newcomers, just like on SR, but this time face to face, sharing a coffee afterwards and what sense of purpose I always feel on SR, connecting with people living within 10 miles of where I live heightened the importance of my contributions, young guys in a place where I once had been, their stories sounding very familiar, but just needing the confidence and someone to say, it’s going to be alright, give Sobriety a go.

This experience has highlighted further my understanding of how deep a recovery plan must go, and how lightly some still take it, for anyone who still hasn’t got a Plan A together, the time is now to get something in place, and for me when my Plan A fell short, it was time to get an alternative, a Plan B, it was good to be pushed, made to reflect, made to once again take action and fight for my Sobriety, what did it mean to me? how far was I prepared to go? how deep does my resolve really go? and I feel I am better for it.

The saying goes “Fail to Plan, Plan to Fail” . . . But sometimes even the plan needs changed.

I thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for your many messages and concern, I have seen many members come and go on SR over many years, and it is heartbreaking to say the least sometimes.

I am truly touched to be back amongst friends and comrades in Sobriety!!

PK
Old 08-08-2016, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

So very glad to have you back with us PK. I missed you!

Thanks for this wonderful reminder of what it takes to self care and find what we need to stay sober.

Ken
Old 08-08-2016, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are back. Thanks for such an inspirational post. I think we all need to reflect on our plans at times to see what we need add/change.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great to see you back!!

All the best
Andrew
Old 08-08-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent post Pk
Old 08-08-2016, 01:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wasn’t going to post and then I thought I may be helping someone, so the decision was made for me.

Am very glad you did post. That's inspiring, what a wonderful way to take action, and grow in your recovery.

Your posts supporting others on SR are always supportive, encouraging, gentle and kind. Little wonder you have been missed.

Wish you well
Old 08-08-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I thank you for the post too PK - and welcome back

D
Old 08-08-2016, 03:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

its amazing what sobriety brings good story thanks.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I enjoyed your post PK. Glad you're back.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:29 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

That is why Dee's avatar is Felix the cat (BTW This a genius avatar)

Fe-lix the cat__the won-der-ful, won-der-ful cat.___
When-ev-er he gets in a fix he reach-es in-to his bag of tricks.
Fe-lix the cat___the won-der-ful, won-der-ful cat._

The more things we have in our bag of tricks the further from a drink we are