Notices

Want to be sober

Old 08-06-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Want to be sober

I am from England obviously but our condition is the same. I have been controlled drinking for a while which statistics show that around 25% of people can do. I made tonight the day I would go back to abstinence starting tomorrow, I have drunk 1/2 litre of vodka, 3 pints of Swedish cider, and drunk drove to the garage to geta 1/4 litre of vodka. I have tried to drink the 1/4 litre of vodka, drank a bit but it's repulsing me, whereas normally I would quickly drink it, so I've wasted £3. But the fact I have not been able to drink it shows the vast improvement I have made. I hope to go abstinent from tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey James, not far away from you, only a stone's throw across the Irish sea!!

Abstinence for me was the way forward, I used to gauge my volumes, whether they were decreasing or increasing, used to use the DrinkAware calculator for my units every day.

But life started to improve when I finally drew a line under alcohol.

You can do this, make tomorrow your Day 1 and go from there!!
Old 08-06-2016, 04:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi James

I noticed you referred to yourself as a 'cognitive scientist' the other day. How might that approach inform your plan?

D
Old 08-06-2016, 07:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The being repulsed at the attempt to drink happened to me too during my 4th and last slip. I got a bottle of cheap, low alcohol Champagne (the only alcohol whose taste I could stand), poured a glass, took a big drink and was immediately sick in my head, stomach, everywhere. Poured the rest down the sink - didn't even get a buzz (WAS sick for 2 days tho). The same thing happened after I gave up social/moderate consumption at 31. 3 months after my last cocktail, I tried one and was sick like that. Became a non-drinker for 20+ yrs. If your constitution is like mine, we simply weren't built for the stuff and should be grateful. I agree, you body was telling you exactly what to do. Keep listening. And good decision James.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Sitting there dry heaving trying to get some vodka down , done that not so long ago James, I feel your pain . I think you now know its time to change all that and you can . We are all here to help .

Dame ! Hi , what great example of recovery and your description of "we simply weren't built for the stuff" is a very profound .
Old 08-07-2016, 02:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi James

I noticed you referred to yourself as a 'cognitive scientist' the other day. How might that approach inform your plan?

D
Well if you've noticed I love my statistics so I have researched treatments and stuff like that and will guide my plan by what I have read. I have been in recovery for a while so I just need to put what I know into action. A cognitive scientist is another word for psychologist lol so what does a psychologist do think things through logically and come to a rational conclusion so I have to think of the benefits and costs of drinking and keep them in mind. Also, the way chemicals work and why the brain gets addicted and why drinking is not a good idea. But I know from my own case I have a great ability to forget how bad it was even a week or month ago.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dame View Post
The being repulsed at the attempt to drink happened to me too during my 4th and last slip. I got a bottle of cheap, low alcohol Champagne (the only alcohol whose taste I could stand), poured a glass, took a big drink and was immediately sick in my head, stomach, everywhere. Poured the rest down the sink - didn't even get a buzz (WAS sick for 2 days tho). The same thing happened after I gave up social/moderate consumption at 31. 3 months after my last cocktail, I tried one and was sick like that. Became a non-drinker for 20+ yrs. If your constitution is like mine, we simply weren't built for the stuff and should be grateful. I agree, you body was telling you exactly what to do. Keep listening. And good decision James.
I do think I am not set up for drinking best to give up for good. I have been googling people's experiences of giving up for good and if life is better.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

SMART Recovery has a basis in CBT James.

D
Old 08-07-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
SMART Recovery has a basis in CBT James.

D
I know! I'd be into that but no meetings here, only AA and not into that so much any more! I have ordered rational recovery which should be coming and I'll use google to look up stuff.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:44 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
Sitting there dry heaving trying to get some vodka down , done that not so long ago James, I feel your pain . I think you now know its time to change all that and you can . We are all here to help .

Dame ! Hi , what great example of recovery and your description of "we simply weren't built for the stuff" is a very profound .
Thanks, I can only put off changing for so long. I just don't like who I am at the minute, little confidence, body getting worse, sleep bad, anxiety. But what do you spect I'm putting a poison in my brain.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Check out online meetings too.

D
Old 08-07-2016, 04:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

James,

You are very physically addicted.

Your brain seems to be working from a logical communication stand point, but drinking that much booze.....is illogical.

There is a very good chance you have months of anxiety waiting for you when you finally rationalize it is time to face the music and get clean.

Getting clean is painful. But, it is the logical thing to do. No living organism was designed to drink alcohol. It is a stewed up, highly addictive toxin that slowly fries our brains and bodies to death.

I have been exactly in your shoes. I never want to go back.

We are here when you are ready. Get clean sir.

Thanks for the post.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Cool

I've been having some great discussions lately with some of my recovered friends regarding 'rigorous honesty.' I know that this is an AA term, but all the recovery paths I've researched have all had 'honesty' (rigorous, or whatever kind) in their bedrock.

On the 6th, you posted...............:

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
I am from England obviously but our condition is the same. I have been controlled drinking for a while which statistics show that around 25% of people can do. I made tonight the day I would go back to abstinence starting tomorrow, I have drunk 1/2 litre of vodka, 3 pints of Swedish cider, and drunk drove to the garage to geta 1/4 litre of vodka. I have tried to drink the 1/4 litre of vodka, drank a bit but it's repulsing me, whereas normally I would quickly drink it, so I've wasted £3. But the fact I have not been able to drink it shows the vast improvement I have made. I hope to go abstinent from tomorrow.
Today you've posted........(in part)..........:

Originally Posted by JamesfrmEngland View Post
...I have been in recovery for a while so I just need to put what I know into action...
...more like you've been in and out of recovery......still in the disease.

...and on your profile here, under 'Sobriety Date' you've stated.........:

"...31/05/2015-January 2016 first time, second time still trying..."

Since you're still trying, it might be better to leave this blank till you actually get 'a' DOS. Today (07/08/16) might be a good date...........just a suggestion.

(o:
Old 08-07-2016, 08:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I'm a bit ashamed to admit, but I remember I started to drive heave just reaching for the bottle. I was a weekend warrior, and on Friday when I'd reach for the bottle for that first drink I'd dry heave and my eyes would water. What is that telling us? Its tells us we're not supposed to be doing it. Of course by the 3rd drink itw as like water. Stay strong.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi James,

Glad you are here and posting. I know I experimented with controlled drinking/moderation on and off for years, and the end result was the same, I ended up drinking more than originally planned, and the counting drinks and bargaining with myself (should I or shouldn't I have just one more) was exhausting.

On NYE I decided that 2016 was going to be my first of many sober years, and with the support of SR and following my recovery plan, which consists of the site, reading, exercise, journaling and mindfulness. I have just over seven months sober.

You can do this, and I promise you it is worth it.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:02 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My goal is to be 100 percent abstinent too. I have been struggling with doing a night binge one time every 30 days lately. I hope to make it past the hump this time. The anxiety and depression is ruthless right now, like usual. We have another day to try.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Hi James,

Glad you are here and posting. I know I experimented with controlled drinking/moderation on and off for years, and the end result was the same, I ended up drinking more than originally planned, and the counting drinks and bargaining with myself (should I or shouldn't I have just one more) was exhausting.

On NYE I decided that 2016 was going to be my first of many sober years, and with the support of SR and following my recovery plan, which consists of the site, reading, exercise, journaling and mindfulness. I have just over seven months sober.

You can do this, and I promise you it is worth it.
I absolutely love my exercise but that has gone out the window on my latest relapse. I am looking like a fat pig. Plus I love reading but I can't be arsed to do that. No drink so far today hopefully I'll get it this time.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

What's in your recovery plan James