Notices

Relapse on the Road to Recovery

Old 08-06-2016, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Relapse on the Road to Recovery

The road of recovery is not a smoothly paved one way expressway guiding you swiftly to your final destination. It is a rough terrain with roadblocks, accidents, and obstacles meant to slow you down. There are enticing billboards full of wicked promise that if you make the next exit all of your worries will disappear. Each exit is so brightly lit and clearly marked that is easy to believe in the promises offered. If the temptation is too much and you find yourself exiting to indulge your AV, please remember that your vehicle is equipped with a pre-programmed GPS that will take you straight back Recovery Road. If the GPS is not working check your glove box for a map. If you can't find the map stop and ask directions. You may feel lost and unsure and full of shame, but there is ALWAYS a way back to the Road. You just have to choose to either stay lost and continue to satisfy your AV's insatiable needs or you can use the tools you have to get yourself safely back to the Road. Remember that you are in the driver's seat and you are solely responsible for steering the vehicle in the right direction.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
You may feel lost and unsure and full of shame, but there is ALWAYS a way back to the Road. You just have to choose to either stay lost and continue to satisfy your AV's insatiable needs or you can use the tools you have to get yourself safely back to the Road. Remember that you are in the driver's seat and you are solely responsible for steering the vehicle in the right direction.
Great post, and great reminder(s). I would just add....relapse does NOT have to be a part of recovery. Sometimes there is a tricky, fine line between acknowledging that you can come back (or TRY to, because it does get harder every time) again and that you do not have to have another day one.

Keeping your AV in check- using the tools we learn- is how we don't go back ever again!
Old 08-06-2016, 07:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by August252015 View Post
Great post, and great reminder(s). I would just add....relapse does NOT have to be a part of recovery. Sometimes there is a tricky, fine line between acknowledging that you can come back (or TRY to, because it does get harder every time) again and that you do not have to have another day one.

Keeping your AV in check- using the tools we learn- is how we don't go back ever again!
Very true Aug!
Old 08-06-2016, 02:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yeah I vote with Aug relapse is a part of my addiction not my recovery

It's probably also worth saying that after I while reached a hill and was able to look back and road did not look anywhere as difficult as I thought it had been...I was just unused to travelling that way

There's a lot of local guides you can call on for help too - no one needs to make this journey alone

D
Old 08-06-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by earthsteps View Post
The road of recovery is not a smoothly paved one way expressway guiding you swiftly to your final destination. It is a rough terrain with roadblocks, accidents, and obstacles meant to slow you down. There are enticing billboards full of wicked promise that if you make the next exit all of your worries will disappear. Each exit is so brightly lit and clearly marked that is easy to believe in the promises offered. If the temptation is too much and you find yourself exiting to indulge your AV, please remember that your vehicle is equipped with a pre-programmed GPS that will take you straight back Recovery Road. If the GPS is not working check your glove box for a map. If you can't find the map stop and ask directions. You may feel lost and unsure and full of shame, but there is ALWAYS a way back to the Road. You just have to choose to either stay lost and continue to satisfy your AV's insatiable needs or you can use the tools you have to get yourself safely back to the Road. Remember that you are in the driver's seat and you are solely responsible for steering the vehicle in the right direction.
Great post Earthsteps. I'm always afraid I might not make it back to the Road if I detour which is why I will stay sober today.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice post Earthsteps!!