Notices

The opposite of addiction is not sobriety, it's connection.

Old 08-06-2016, 02:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The opposite of addiction is not sobriety, it's connection.

The Opposite of Addiction is Connection

This one is worth reading.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello I.D.,
Your post triggered some reflections:
Connection ... with others committed to living in healthy accountability to living Sober and living responsibly - in a program of Love and respect for others - is good.
Connection ... for drug sources - not good.
Connection ... to the Spiritual Nature within and the renewed life it brings in Me and in all my interactions with others ... and recognizing that living and functioning in my Flesh Nature means living in Self-Will-Run-Riot, and reaping the negative effects and consequences in my inner self and in all my interactions with others.

Thanks for the post ...
RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE
Old 08-06-2016, 05:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A good addition to ones self help collection , Thank You .
Old 08-06-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I really enjoyed this read. Thank you.
Old 08-06-2016, 06:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great article- thanks.

My boyfriend and I discussed this last night. He is in recovery too and we talked about trauma. Mine, definitely from childhood (age 11 on) and adulthood; and his, mostly adulthood (his alcoholic-themed marriage). We both had pre-dispositions to alcoholic, genetically and behaviorally. The best part I took from this is that good relationships- with a partner, with recovery friends/sponsors/support- is crucial to living a better, sober life.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2016, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I believe the meaning of life is connection and love. It's not really the opposite of addiction, but I see it as the result of becoming sober.

I wasn't able to connect. I used alcohol to self-medicate so I could connect, but that was a fail as the progression of my medication (alcohol use) increased and caused me to isolate while drinking and to drink so much more each day....

Love and connection. The beautiful result of sobriety. They make life worth living!
Old 08-06-2016, 12:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the article. This just articulated so nicely all the thoughts that have been swimming in my head this last week and the issues I have been journaling about. I recently took the ACE (adverse childhood experience) test and scored a 7... meaning I had a very traumatic childhood. I am just now starting to realize what that did to my ability to connect, not just to others, but my own emotions. At my AA meeting this morning, i was reflecting on how important it is for me to sit with my pain... not avoid it or deny it. And how I am creating a space in my life right now, where I am being "re-parented." These, I believe, are very important steps to me "rejoining the human race" so to speak.