Notices

Dui

Old 08-05-2016, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dui

I'm 45. I got 2 DUIs in three nights after losing parents. It stinks. I ended up with 30 pts in 3 nights. I was also driving at 3 am and think I was on Ativan. Ended up getting charged with 2 DUIs 4 days jail, one year revocation. I cabbed and Uber for one year while I worked an outside sales job. Just got laid off after license reinstated. I'm not jumping for joy and am in the in-between stage. I know I'm lucky but 2 DUIs is the kiss of death. I've been turned down for two high paid jobs, I would've gotten with 1 DUI. I have PTSD and bad anc
Dirty. I don't remember the 2nd DUI except both times I had some crazy cab driver chasing me down. No cab driver I've ever heard of chases down a driver. The first DUI I was in a bar taking a wee. The cop came in and pulled me out of the bathroom. I wasn't driving. I would have beaten that one but with a second there was no way. Some crazy woman was chasing me around the hotel. This was a Bates Motel story with crazies out of town. I have a lot of debt now. Beware the 3am driving while intoxicated and psychotic.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by TommyBoy2016 View Post
I'm 45. I got 2 DUIs in three nights after losing parents. It stinks. I ended up with 30 pts in 3 nights. I was also driving at 3 am and think I was on Ativan. Ended up getting charged with 2 DUIs 4 days jail, one year revocation. I cabbed and Uber for one year while I worked an outside sales job. Just got laid off after license reinstated. I'm not jumping for joy and am in the in-between stage. I know I'm lucky but 2 DUIs is the kiss of death. I've been turned down for two high paid jobs, I would've gotten with 1 DUI. I have PTSD and bad anc
Dirty. I don't remember the 2nd DUI except both times I had some crazy cab driver chasing me down. No cab driver I've ever heard of chases down a driver. The first DUI I was in a bar taking a wee. The cop came in and pulled me out of the bathroom. I wasn't driving. I would have beaten that one but with a second there was no way. Some crazy woman was chasing me around the hotel. This was a Bates Motel story with crazies out of town. I have a lot of debt now. Beware the 3am driving while intoxicated and psychotic.
Getting 2 DUIS is not the kiss of death. Killing yourself and anyone unlucky enough to be in the way during your intoxicated psychosis is the real kiss of death.

Do you have a higher power? Thank him.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes that's a big reason why I quit. I started going out at night in my pajamas to get more beer. I was already drunk. Anyway I'm at about 52 days sober today. It's not much but it's the most I've ever had. You've come to the right place if you want to quit.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Originally Posted by Daisyforever View Post
Yes that's a big reason why I quit. I started going out at night in my pajamas to get more beer. I was already drunk. Anyway I'm at about 52 days sober today. It's not much but it's the most I've ever had. You've come to the right place if you want to quit.
52 days is awesome!
Old 08-05-2016, 06:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Daisyforever View Post
So happy to hear you at are 52 days sober- what a great start! Never underestimate even the power of 1 day sober, never mind 52- keep going and you will continue to get stronger and stronger.

Do you have a recovery plan? I know sober days feel great, but you truly need something behind it- a plan, counseling, sober support group, following any recovery program AA, Rational Recovery, Smart Recovery, Etc. etc. Surround yourself with healthy people and continue to make healthy choices.

Nothing is the kiss of death except addiction and alcoholism. You are sober, you can pick yourself back up again- I promise you that you can. You are a lot stronger than you think.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Tommy. I can't tell by your post if you've been sober for a year or what. But here at SR you'll find lots of support for living a sober lifestyle.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I didn't know that a person could be turned down for a job after getting caught DUI.
Old 08-05-2016, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your sober time Tommy

D
Old 08-05-2016, 07:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've been sober since 6-9-2014. Any DMV or background check will show DUIs. I'm no saint. I know I screwed up. Cops should either require bail or release you only to family member. They released me still intoxicated and showed me the door. It's all about quick money,
Old 08-05-2016, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Doing AA, did 6 months Lionrock Recovery. Had poop scared outta me! Too scared straight to drink,
Old 08-05-2016, 11:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I love the name tommy so much.
Good job on 52 days!
Old 08-06-2016, 12:15 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That crazy taxi driver could have saved your own and other people's lives that night. You know, for an AAER, what I hear in your OP is a lot of self pity and very little humility or taking responsibility for your own part in what did, or could have happened. It's sounds like blame, blame, blame, and looking at other people's actions and motives. That's not how we get better, and it's not how we grow in sobriety.

If you're a 12-step person, perhaps contact your sponsor and ask them to help you work through doing an inventory on this. That self pity and blame shifting and rationalisation could well hold you back otherwise.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I didn't get grief counciling. Everyone processes Greg differently�� My point is you really don't recover from the after effects of losing jobs and career over this.
Old 08-06-2016, 09:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey guys��
Any post and response helps. I am open to everyone
Old 08-06-2016, 09:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

grief
Old 08-06-2016, 09:19 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I know I deserved thousands of DUIs, I just never got one. It makes me shudder to think of lives I could have destroyed if my drinking had caused accidents, deaths, etc. At least you do not have that burden on your soul. And you must be doing something right to have over 2 years sober under your belt. Be good to yourself.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I didn't get grief counciling. Everyone processes Greg differently�� My point is you really don't recover from the after effects of losing jobs and career over this.
Hi TommyBoy, welcome to SR and congrats on your sober time. I'm sorry you're struggling with grief.

My own experience with grief is that as long as I'm still breathing and still open to change, I can walk through any painful situation and find healing. Complete "recovery" from grief? Not exactly, it doesn't go away. But I have a lot of choices about how I grieve and how I move forward with my life.

If you read around this site, you will find some truly inspiring people who have found a way forward into a happy life, despite really painful losses, including cancer or loss of a child. There's a gold mine of information here .
Old 08-06-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Tommy

I think the first step to dealing with loss/grief is learning to let go of the situation. Sounds like you still have a lot of anger about what happened?

D

ETA I didn't mean this to reference the loss of your parents. Just the events of the DUI. Clumsy of me.

If grief is knocking you around, there are better ways to deal with it, than a bottle.

D

Last edited by Dee74; 08-07-2016 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

What does your sponsor say about it all? Have you contacted them yet?

You know, when I hear people's experience, strength and hope in the rooms, what becomes apparent to me is that people DO recover from losing things. And they recover by working their program of recovery. One of the ways of working our program to get through resentment, fear and self-pity, is doing the inventory work and talking to our sponsors so that we can learn from OUR part in things so that we can let go and move on. You're right in that if we don't do the work, then possibly we don't recover from it. I spent decades carrying some of my resentment and rage and self-pity. It was heavy and debilitating to carry it. Then, finally, i commited to the program and did the steps work. Although it was briefly painful to work through it, the relief I got from doing that work was immense.

If you're suggesting that your AA meetings are full of people who 'never got over' their resentment and self-pity, I'd definitely suggest going to some different meetings where people are more solution focussed.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:36 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Great job on Day 52 Tommy!!