Notices

Getting through the evening

Old 08-05-2016, 02:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Getting through the evening

Having a really hard time right now , each minute just seems harder than the last
Old 08-05-2016, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
AA Member

Are you going to a meeting tonight?

I am

I'm secretary and I've got a great speaker scheduled!

Meetings help us got out of self ... self is the problem!

God bless

Old 08-05-2016, 02:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It'll get better. find something to do cleaning,reading, write on a piece of paper or a journal what your feeling right now. or stay close to SR and keep reading it always helps me.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi Mandy ,
cravings don't last forever .
I used to find having a shower helpful to get myself out of my obsessive thinking .

some useful tips on this thread :-
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

keep on posting , keep on , sobriety is worthwhile .. it gets easier with time .

Bestwishes, m
Old 08-05-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

9 PM Friday night -SR online meeting! Come to the party with your dancing shoes on!

(Disclaimer - I may have the time wrong, check the board announcements)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You did good for coming here first. I am having a hard time too. What is your plan for the night? I made a list of things to do and plan to check them off, even if it's one thing completed. I also plan to have the Olympics opening on the background.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sometimes it helps to say the Serenity Prayer ...
over and over ...

like doing 99 bottles of God on the wall

or the following Step Prayers ...

3rd Step Prayer
God, I offer myself to You - to build with me and to do with me according to Your will. Relieve me of the bondage of self, that I may better do Your will. Take away my difficulties, that victory over them may bear witness to those I would help of Your Power, Your Love, and Your Way of Life. May I do Your will always.
(Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 63)

7th Step Prayer
My Creator, I am now willing that You should have all of me, good and bad. I pray that You now remove from me every single defect of character which stands in the way of my usefulness to You and others. Grant me strength, as I go out from here, to do Your will. Amen.
(Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 76 )

11th Step Prayer
Lord, make me a channel of Your peace - that where there is hatred, I may bring love - that where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness - that where there is discord, I may bring harmony - that where there is error, I may bring truth - that where there is doubt, I may bring faith - that where there is despair, I may bring hope - that where there are shadows, I may bring light - that where there is sadness, I may bring joy. Lord, grant that I may seek rather to comfort than to be comforted - to understand, than to be understood - to love, than to be loved. For it is by self-forgetting that I may find. It is by forgiving that I may be forgiven. It is by dying that I may awaken to eternal life. Amen
(Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions, p. 99)
Old 08-05-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Mandy,
It's your 5th day? Congrats! It's understandable that time seems different.........when we aren't drinking lol. I have more of a history with anxiety/depression that alcohol and I isolated. I finally decided to "put on my shoes and get out anyway." That could mean a short/long walk, trip to anywhere without chaos (drinking now). Just some new air, new things to look at, hence think about. As we recover we -hopefully - build new pathways in our healing brains. This is accomplished simply enough by breaking or altering a current cycle. This is what I'm trying to do, and I'm past month 2. Making changes are TOUGH, but I think they help us heal faster. And if I think about the drink, I focus on the awful parts (which were most parts).
You'll be OK
Old 08-05-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It is so hard sometimes.
Ice cream or chocolate helped me many times when the cravings hit. I'd say the heck with the diet, I can start that again tomorrow.

Put a good movie on, or even turn in early, I went to bed at 8:00 some nights in those first few weeks.
Stay strong, you will be so glad you did come morning.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Also ...

go on YouTube.com ...

look up Tim Hawkins ...
Old 08-05-2016, 03:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Other than the things suggested above to do - while you're still awake- can you go to bed early?? The Put Myself To Bed strategy is one I still employ (now for emotional reasons or fatigue more than want to drink reasons) that was a very useful lets-get-through-to-tomorrow tool for me.

And I did/do things like sitting down for ONE episode of a show on Netflix. Then let it go to the next. Then...couple hours can go by. That kind of small chunks of time ticked off.

You can do it!!
Old 08-05-2016, 03:41 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mandy, can you get outside and walk? That always helps me to regain my balance and to feel grounded.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I got up and went outside and spent about 30 mins just skimming my pool. I find it relaxing and satisfying to get it clean. Came in and filled my face with supper lol, I'm pretty full and sleepy. I'm no longer feeling like I need that drink, and I'm going to go up to bed early tonight and catch up on some tv shows and reading. If I'm being honest I nearly didn't make it tonight I was seconds away from throwing in the towel, ty all because you helped me stay sober today no question.
Old 08-05-2016, 03:58 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mandy73 View Post
Having a really hard time right now , each minute just seems harder than the last
Good going!
Another day 1 would have been even harder.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
sober style

Originally Posted by RDBplus3 View Post
Sometimes it helps to say the Serenity Prayer ...
over and over ...

like doing 99 bottles of God on the wall
That made me laugh!
Old 08-05-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Friday nights are the toughest.

Big trigger night.

We want to drink because we are mentally addicted for ever.

That is why folks relapse after years of sobriety.

The reptile mind is always craving. The analytical mind must embrace sobriety.

We have to remember the horror of our addiction.

Being clean is how we are intended to be. Alcohol is poison.
Old 08-05-2016, 04:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Way to go Mandy!!

Thank you for reporting back with descriptions (I enjoyed the pool along with you - very relaxing). Sleep well and sweet dreams.
Old 08-05-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Nicely done Mandy! The first weekend is the toughest, glad you are feeling better now. I have just over seven months sober and I really had to plan out my first few weeks so when "wine o clock," came I wouldn't be tempted.

Exercise, reading, and lots of time on SR have really helped me. Did you join the August class? If not, you definitely should. Having people at the same point in your recovery journey helps.

Enjoy the rest of your sober weekend!!
Old 08-05-2016, 05:11 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thank you and yes I did join the August class
Old 08-06-2016, 04:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Page 86 & 87 of the AA Big Book are a thorough rehearsal of the Program and how to work it day-to-day. It is quick and concise and is Very Helpful to review every day to get the full recovery mindset in a working real-time functional process.

Doing this review of 86 & 87 has helped me go from gut-wrenching, face-in-the-asphalt struggling to who I now consider myself to be:
RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE