Notices

Is it ok for my life to be like this for now?

Old 08-03-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it ok for my life to be like this for now?

After a horrific binge last time, I've decided that simply getting through the day and night sober is a good day.
So I'm doing a little housework, going for a short walk, napping and meeting kid/ work needs. Watching TV and checking SR. That's it.
I know life won't be like this forever and I'm fine with it today but i know me well enough that I'll start to get uncomfortable with this quickly and feel like I should be doing and achieving. Then anxiety will set in and the temptation to drink surfaces.
I guess I'm asking for reassurance that what I'm doing is ok.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

At the beginning not drinking for a day was a *serious* achievement for me. I think it's ok

D
Old 08-03-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think all that you're doing is perfectly fine.... Especially if it helps you keep having these sober days. When you need more to do (to occupy some time) do more.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi none ever! I'm sure people will be along shortly with more time and wisdom than I have, but for me just staying sober right now in the early days equals a very successful day. So I think you're doing great. I'm sure everything else will fall into place. Hugs))
Old 08-03-2016, 06:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It's great to take it easy early on.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Starting a new routine filled with the normal everyday things is a good thing. I remember when I was drinking my routine was centered solely on me and my comfy spot on the couch and my supersized glass filled with wine that I emptied and refilled as fast as I could. That is not a normal routine. That is the routine of a selfish binge drinker who didn't care about anything. Now my routine is filled with what really matters to me. And that is a good thing.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm in the same boat and doing the same. I've been pretty much just laying in bed and on this forum non-stop for the past few days. Also reading AA and other treatment options, just making it through the day without a drink and making that your top priority early in sobriety is considered a good day to keep moving forward.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes! You are going great! I think slow is best. When you find pockets of peace in your day -- a cup of great coffee/tea, a good book, a walk, journaling -- you discover other pleasurable activities to focus on rather than drinking. When you stop drinking, it's an adjustment both mentally and physically. Honoring that, tending to that is essential. I spent 7 weeks in rehab but when I returned, I still had to figure this new life of mine out (and I'm still figuring!) You'll have plenty of time for productivity and all that. Right now, getting through the day is enough.
Old 08-03-2016, 09:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Think of being uncomfortable a good thing. It leads to growth and change. Being comfortable in the beginning I find a bit scary, I took it easy for the first few weeks and now I am having to get uncomfortable and take steps so I make sure to last. You can do this!
Old 08-03-2016, 10:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You are doing great. I've been counting days, I was wondering if I was always going to be like this too. We just need to encourage each other. Good job and feel proud of yourself for staying sober today.
Old 08-04-2016, 12:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NA Member - Atheist

When I first got clean I had two jobs every day - "don't use and go to an NA meeting, maybe two". That was augmented by little things like taking a shower, getting dressed, brushing my teeth, and slowly beginning relationships with some other people in recovery.

Over time I've added a few things.
Old 08-04-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations
Old 08-04-2016, 06:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the reassurance. It's really helped me stay focused today. I did a little housework, watched some tv, went grocery shopping and hung with my kids after I cooked us an awesome, healthy dinner. Then I laid down with them while they fell asleep. We used a kids mindfulness app together at my little one's request to help them go to sleep.
A perfectly ordinary day. It felt really good to just be normal.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've often said that when alcohol starts destroying your life and you decide to make a solid effort at sobriety....doing anything other than drinking is acceptable. Because most of us know, once that alcohol goes down the throat we are in for a ride and don't know exactly when the ride will stop.

So yes, I agree that its ok. Just try not to spend the rest of your life doing it.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Totally ok!!

I am almost 6 months sober and fortunately did not work til about 5 wks in. I took a lot of naps, I slowly began to eat. Showering, starting to make the bed every day, taking the dog for a real walk rather than just letting him pee, doing laundry....any of those were things that simply had to be my victory for the day, besides not drinking.

You will get through this. The energy I have now and the ability to have full days often amaze me. I worked 11 1/2 hours on Sun, straight through as a server, and it was great. I am still careful about eating and my sleep (I take an rx sleeping pill every night) and do have a fatigue meter I try not to exceed; sometimes a really big day or two still lead me to a day or so of "recovery."

I wrote down my "accomplishment" most days, and made mental notes telling myself "this was a great day" - sometimes the thoughts that I should be doing more (Whatever that meant, you know, what normal people do and such!) but you gotta chase those thoughts away- this is YOUR life right now, and you are getting healthy.

Hang in there!