Notices

Alcoholism and Facebook

Old 08-03-2016, 03:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism and Facebook

I picked the worst time ever to "re-join" Facebook - the Presidential election in the U.S. is crazy-making and people I've loved and respected are saying the most outrageous and hateful things; however, what is even worse for me in my new sobriety is watching the alcoholics spiral online.

Last night I watched my Aunt post cryptic and disconcertingly dark statements which prompted her friends and family to comment "you ok?" and "call me!" Someone even came right out and asked "are you drinking the 'sad juice' again?"

I was wincing at the whole thing, and also felt angry with her - which I realize is more anger at ME for having put people I care about through the same things. I wasn't the Facebook posting drunk but I'd text my siblings at inappropriate times while feeling melancholy in a drunken state.

I guess this is part of recovery - ? Acknowledging past (painful, embarrassing) behaviors, accepting it and moving on?
Old 08-03-2016, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I gave up on Facebook a long time ago x
Old 08-03-2016, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

These are turbulent times - especially on social media.
I'm still trying to aim for this

Old 08-03-2016, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I stay off Facebook. The people who know me have my email address. I found Facebook brought back memories and people I'd rather forget. Maybe it was memories of time lost and chances missed that upset me. I could have accomplished so much more if I had went for help eariler. But I wasted years drinking alone. But I can't change that. I am trying to let the past be the past. Just my view.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good post. People do the DUMBEST things on facebook, both drunk and sober.It drives me nuts!
Fakebook.
No one really has hundreds of friends. No one is really that happy. No one is really that hot. It is all a show, and a way for big brother to keep tabs on everyone.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

facebook has also not been the greatest place for me either. It's mostly just repetitive crap posted, as well as I had some bad and embarrassing times drunk and posting nonsense. I only go on there once in a while if I want to message someone rather than text, but that's about it.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dee that is beautiful. Thank you.
Perhaps it's time to "quit" Facebook once again. I re-joined after a dear friend passed away this year - I started to panic about others in my past - were they ok? Had I missed someone else's death or major life event? Etc. -
Old 08-03-2016, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

About 2 yeas ago I pruned my Facebook friends down to family and close friends only. Probably only have 20 people left. Much better that way. No more random ******** from people I don't really know.
Old 08-03-2016, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have never used facebook-far to much for an addict to obsess about in my opinion.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

What is this "Facebook" you speak of?!?!? I am and always have been content with my friends calling, messaging or speaking face-2-face with me.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by REsoberALITY View Post
What is this "Facebook" you speak of?!?!? I am and always have been content with my friends calling, messaging or speaking face-2-face with me.
I agree, but I live on the other side of the world to my family and childhood friends.

Facebook gives us a way to keep in touch and communicate without worrying about time differences, or having to pay call charges.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks God for the "unfollow" feature. Anyone who annoys me is put on my "pay no mind" list! 😇
Old 08-03-2016, 05:25 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Completely understood MacW. I know it serves a good purpose for many people in their situations. Hope everyone is having a good sober evening/day.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Facebook is something of a common topic here.

My take is this: If you enjoy it, that's great.

But if Facebook -- like anything else -- imperils your serenity or sobriety, ditch it.

I'm still a Facebooker, albeit one who hides a fair number of people, but these days I spend less time on it mainly because it's the same old same old. I like it mostly as a way of staying in touch.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In a way it's eye opening for me to see how it looks "from the other side" when a person is posting while under the influence - but it is painful to watch.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Have signed up a few times, with the following "someone knows you on FB" in my e-mail. Who could THAT be? I don't know anyone.

FB is like a personal "scrapbook" made public: "See. Here's ME getting promoted. Here's ME getting hammered at a swanky club. Here's ME posing next to a Hamilton Actor. ME, ME, ME (plus OUR Big Dramas)." Exhausting.......

And I really didn't want to know anyone THAT way. I'm just too private (read paranoid). I live in a city where the main currency is GOSSIP. Under the radar for me! There's too much really genuinely good stuff to read out there - stories about the MEs who don't have mad privilege.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I deleted my Facebook. Best thing I ever did. lol. I am glad I did it before the election. lol
Old 08-03-2016, 07:10 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I use facebook to keep up to date with old friends. I havent posted a picture in over a year and never write a post, but i enjoy "commenting" on friends kids and pets.. harmless (if you keep it that way).
I also feel it gives me so many 'outs' of having to go out to re-unite with people, 'cause well im alreadt up to date. ��
Old 08-03-2016, 07:55 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Facebook is awful. Those 'mummy needs vodka' and 'if you don't serve wine at our kids play dates, we can't be friends' memes, used to drive me up the wall. I had friends who I knew were privately struggling with their alcohol use, but publicly they posted all these photos with wine in their hand, basically promoting alcohol as the best thing ever to all their friends. Made me so angry so I left. Best thing I ever did as it also stopped me from constantly checking it and disconnecting from my family.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:06 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I only log in to Facebook when I'm drunk. And you can imagine the cringe worthy things I post. I had a habit of messaging ex-girlfriends even though they were clearly married or posting inappropriate things to friends's walls. I haven't seen the vast majority of my Facebook friends in person for well over 10 years so I really don't know why I bother with it at all.