Notices

Wicked Cravings

Old 09-30-2004, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Another Long Rookie Thread...

Wicked Cravings

With some sleep and a clear head have come serious cravings, worse than any I remember before. I seem to be telling myself that this is the worst I've screwed up and so why not just finish the job? What's the point in a high bottom? That's some idiotic thinking. All I know is I'm shaking like a tree in a hurricane here at my desk, like I would be with two or three days sober, and it's been 24 days. Since I've stopped worrying so much about my career gaffe, there's been plenty of brainpower to put toward thoughts of drinking.

I might be strange, but group therapy always makes me want to drink. When I hear the stories (even the awful, sad ones), it just reminds me of the "good old days." There's literally a gauntlet of liquor stores between my home and my rehab center. I need blinders, like a racehorse. I'm afraid to leave my desk; "this too shall pass" isn't holding true. I feel like I'm being bombarded with neon lights and that beer commercials and liquor billboards are talking specifically to me. I'm losing my mind. But I can't give in. I guess I'll just stay at my desk all night if I have to. I can't go outside with this compulsion.

Any tips on getting through the really bad ones?
Old 09-30-2004, 03:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

compultions

[[[[mr rhodes01]]]]

i too had compultions that i could not resist.after a year of relapsing my doctor has prescribed a drug called naltrexone.it stops your cravings and helps you get over the rough spots for awhile.it is not a long term soulution and does not replace therepy and aa meetings you will need to keep doing that sort of stuff. i started taking naltrexone on september 20 and have not had any coumpultions since.maybe you would like to give it a try.find out more info on the mayo clinic website.

peace,love,and sobriety

wild bill
Old 09-30-2004, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

mrhodes,
Newbie here and only on day 1 of the road to recovery so won't be handing out any advice. However, I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers tonight in hopes that you are able to overcome the compulsions you are battling and that you find the assistance/help that you need.
Plenty of wonderful people here that should be able to give you advice, encouragement, words of wisdom and tips of dealing with your compulsions.

Hugs and prayers for you,
Dee
Old 09-30-2004, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hello. I'm Laura, a grateful recovering alkie/pothead. The only good advice I can give you is DON'T DRINK! How do you do that? Do NOT allow yourself to go to the liquor store. Pray your a$$ off. Ask for the strength to get through the cravings. Get to an AA meeting. Call another alcoholic. Post here. Do anything but pick up that drink!!! Hang in there. You are in my prayers!!!

Hugs--
Old 09-30-2004, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Castaway

Don't Drink! It's Bad For You! Gives You A Hangover And Then You Are Full Of Regret And Hate Yourself! Find Something To Do!
Old 09-30-2004, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi
Cravings are really a drag.

I know too well that feeling of being bombarded with advertising in your face drink alcohol,alcohol,alcohol.

Try going to the search section and using the word "craving".

Here is one link to a thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...light=cravings

Try to keep your mind focused on other things, think about your breathing.

Hang in there, we are behind you.
Old 09-30-2004, 04:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My doctor gave me neurontin, which is also supposed to help cravings/compulsion. So far, no good. I asked about naltrexone in the past and now, but they say its side effects make it worthwhile in only dire cases. I feel pretty dire now...

Anyway, it always boils down to toughing it out. Have a good night, folks; wish me luck in getting home from that meeting.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:33 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

A good part of your cravings right now are actually SUGAR.

When we alkies drink our bodies turn that alcohol into sugar.

When new in recovery and still coming off alcohol it is very wise to keep LOTS of Hard Candies readily available. Orange juice with honey in it also seems to help.

At many meetings, when I got sober back in l981, not only was there lots of coffee, but lots of sugar, and cookies and candies.

Many of the Alano clubs back then also kept honey and clear karo syrup on hand to help stop the shakes.

This will help, I have seen it help many many coming off the booze.

Love and (((((to all))))),
Old 09-30-2004, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good call. I'm gonna down a pint of Cherry Garcia and hit the hay. I literally ran through the gauntlet, home safe and sound. There was another guy with my same desire to give up and drink tonight in my group, so we had a good discussion about cravings. Didn't make them go away, but I'm not drinking tonight, so I did something right. Stay strong, pardners.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

(((mrhodes)))

Good job not picking up that drink. You also did 2 other good things. You posted here about the craving, and you told on your disease in your group. It will get better, hang around. Don't leave before the miracle happens!

Sherry
Old 09-30-2004, 08:15 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good job kicking those cravings where it counts!
I find that when I'm having a tough time with cravings, I try to do something very soothing, like read a book or pray. Drinking a soothing herbal tea like chamomile is helpful too. Last night, taking a long bubble bath helped me. Even men take baths--I won't tell! But good job staying sober! Keep coming back!
Old 09-30-2004, 08:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Paused

(((Mrhodes)))

I'm glad you made it through your cravings. Good for you!!! They can be a real bugger most times. I think ice cream is a great way to ward cravings off. My favorite poison is Chubby Hubby. It works everytime. Trust me. Hey...getting through this proves you can do it. Remember that for the next time they creep in. Fight them off and don't give in to the nasty critters. They're bad news.