Notices

Don't know what to do or where to turn..

Old 08-01-2016, 03:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Don't know what to do or where to turn..

Hi guys I really need some support i drink a lot I work 4 days a week and as soon as I get paid which is weekly I'm straight to the shop for vodka and I do this for 3 days straight. I tell myself every week once the hangover is gone and I'm back at work I won't drink this time but I always end up at same place. I think I need help unsure what to do I've also lost my best friend down too it my head is a mess please help feedback much Appreichted
Old 08-01-2016, 04:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Cookson, I'm new to this and it is my first full day sober. I have tried getting sober so many times but I think the most important thing is to never give up. Try to keep yourself busy, go on chat rooms, post here like you did, go to meetings if there are some in your area. I always think about the time I wasted staying drunk when I could have been out living and enjoying life. It may feel good for a bit but it just makes everything in life so much worse afterwards.

There's lots of support here and I'm sure you'll hear from more seasoned sober people soon you can do it!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Blue Belt

Cook,

The reason you are not successful is because you have no motivation to stop.

Ea. Of us has a reason we want to quit, otherwise we would have kept drinking.

What is your reason? Mine was a health scare.

I am clean 14 months and am still damaged goods.

I may never fully heal.

The sooner you stop, the better.

Remember that you are an addict.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

Hi there cookson

Myself and a number of others have found the motivation to stop a variety of ways mainly stemming from a feeling or insight that our use of alcohol is wrecking our lives

Having said that we sometimes need to look outside ourselves for help cos if we could do it on our own it would happen

Dr is a good place to start or er room to detox

Then following the directive of professionals

Hope this is of use??

V
Old 08-01-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you are ready to stop drinking, you can do it.

My suggestion is to plan ahead to make sure you have something specific to do on pay-day which doesn't involve alcohol. Why not plan to do something with your money that you've been wanting to do? Make a change of routine and that will give you a good start. Keep reading and posting here and you will find lots of support.

This link has lots of information:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-01-2016, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, Cookson. We all understand the feelings you're having. It'll feel good to get free of that sad old routine. You can do it.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It sounds like you feel isolated, are there resources in your community, you can turn to for support?

When I stopped drinking, I needed a new routine, otherwise, I don't think anything would have changed. What could you change?
Old 08-01-2016, 09:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

The most effective (because it actually worked) thing I did was join AA. I couldn't stop, even though I really wanted to. My pattern was a lot like yours.

A few days work, get some money, then off we go. Always getting worse, always thinking this time I will handle it ok. Then full of shame, bewildered, wondering how it all went wrong AGAIN, swearing off even for the day, and finding myself on my third drink before even remembering I wasn't going to be drinking that day.

That was the thing for me. All the will in the world, the greatest desire, the desperate need wasn't enough to keep me stopped. Yet I have been sober 36 years and counting. No question it worked.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Cookson

SR really helped me break that cycle of drinking every few days once I felt better.

There was something about seeing my story in text that made it harder for me to rationalise away the idea I had a problem.

You'll find a lot of support here and a few ideas too

Have you tried to stop before?

D
Old 08-02-2016, 12:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Cookson