Notices

He's A Hero.....

Old 08-01-2016, 05:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face He's A Hero.....

I'm stealing words from my toddler daughter who always says..."You a hero daddy."

I'm waking up sober for the 8th day because of my husband. Friday was a difficult day for me. I had been cooped up with the girls all day long and the only thing I wanted when my husband came home was a glass of wine. I pleaded my case up and down...I would go get pizza, have a glass of wine and come straight home. He put his foot down reminding me that one thing leads to another and that its never just "a' glass of wine. We had a fight and I was not the best wife that I could have been...I was so mad he was denying me of my wine.
When I woke up the next morning something I never expected happened, I didn't wake up mad....I was so thankful that I hadn't drank. I woke up my husband in tears hugged him and thanked him whole heartily. That gave me the motivation to stay sober the rest of the weekend. Did that AV show up...yes but I had the power to shut it down.

So I'm proud to say with the help of an amazing man...I'm still sober through the weekend!

Happy Monday Y'all......God Bless!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I could see peace instead of this

I have never ever regretted not giving in to a craving. I've never woken up the next morning wishing I had drank the night before. Instead, it's a huge relief to wake up sober each day.

That really is motivating and it does get easier!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Old 08-01-2016, 06:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Proud of you!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Glad to hear you made it through!! Was a bit worried when you posted last week about wanting to stop at that place after work. Your husband is a hero, but you're the one who ultimately made the decision not to drink. Remember that at times when he's not around to talk you off the ledge. You can do it yourself.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Something that helped me a lot early on was to envision how good I would feel the next am waking up without a hangover or regrets. I began to see how I had gradually conditioned myself to seek immediate gratification. Being able to step back and observe that I was coming up against a behavior that I had reinforced over and over for years helped me understand that early sobriety is uncomfortable because we are changing the worn path.

Early on the more uncomfortable the more it indicates that you really are changing. I think the first month is the hardest. The cool thing is that when you don't reach for a drink gradually other habits form instead. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I had a long, long day and thought about a drink.

As bumpy as this new road feels, the sober road ultimately is the one that goes somewhere. As easy as the old way feels sometimes in the moment, it is just an illusion, and ultimately it puts you further down the wrong road.

Friday night is a big deal, it is one of the first mini battles you will fight, but you will only get stronger. And soon you will start to see the payoff and the old way will become less and less appealing. Congratulations on being on the right road!!!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love being married to a sober husband. It makes a world of difference having someone looking out for you!
Old 08-01-2016, 07:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
Something that helped me a lot early on was to envision how good I would feel the next am waking up without a hangover or regrets. I began to see how I had gradually conditioned myself to seek immediate gratification. Being able to step back and observe that I was coming up against a behavior that I had reinforced over and over for years helped me understand that early sobriety is uncomfortable because we are changing the worn path.

Early on the more uncomfortable the more it indicates that you really are changing. I think the first month is the hardest. The cool thing is that when you don't reach for a drink gradually other habits form instead. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I had a long, long day and thought about a drink.

As bumpy as this new road feels, the sober road ultimately is the one that goes somewhere. As easy as the old way feels sometimes in the moment, it is just an illusion, and ultimately it puts you further down the wrong road.

Friday night is a big deal, it is one of the first mini battles you will fight, but you will only get stronger. And soon you will start to see the payoff and the old way will become less and less appealing. Congratulations on being on the right road!!!
I like to think that the old road feels easy because it is a circular path. It gets more and more worn the more times you go around that circle - but it goes nowhere but down deeper into the ground the more it gets worn - eventually it's a deep groove that's hard to get out of. The new road is bumpy and sometimes hard to navigate, but at least it's going somewhere new.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks Y'all....Although the victory isn't 100% mine, I'm still happy to be sober....
Old 08-01-2016, 01:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations TX you and your husband are both heroes
Old 08-01-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Nice one, TX. You're doing this thing.