Notices

Telling people why you don't drink

Old 08-01-2016, 03:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Telling people why you don't drink

Just picking your brains. What do you say to people when they ask why your on soft drinks? I want to tell the truth without it becoming a big deal.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

"I've drank enough for one lifetime."
Old 08-01-2016, 03:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't use drugs. (Alcohol IS a drug)
Old 08-01-2016, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi oswin

I don't tell anyone why I don't drink. It's none of their business. Of course, I don't hang around the people I used to, so I'm not asked why I'm not taking part in the festivities....
Old 08-01-2016, 03:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It doesn't seem to work with me, I am a better version of myself with out it. Then ask them, Why do you drink? hehehe
Old 08-01-2016, 04:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just further I tend to use inflections in my voice and facial expressions, such as when I say it doesn't seem to work for me, I say it kind of bewildered, screw my face up a bit, shrug shoulders slightly with a little shake of the head. Then I lighten the mood and in a higher more interest voice ask them why they do.?Often they will say I enjoy it and like how it makes me feel. Which for me is the same feeling I have when I don't drink, Not that different after all!. Clink my coke with their beer, cheers! I am saying this somewhat light hearted, but hopefully you get my approach. The others are right though you don't have to tell anything, but I struggled with this also, this is the approach that I seem to feel is most authentic for me so therefor I feel no anxiety when using it.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Like if they offered me a milkshake I am lactose intolerant, trust me they wouldn't want to be around me after that also!
Old 08-01-2016, 04:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I never get the question these days - I'm established as a non drinker and no thanks works...

but earlier on, if people didn't know me when I was at my worst I would just say 'I don't drink anymore'...if pressed - 'I was a very bad drinker.'

D
Old 08-01-2016, 04:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I used to drink that's why I don't
Old 08-01-2016, 04:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks I will be trying these out. I like the I tried it and it didn't work approach and the I'm a very bad drinker. Something flippant that we can get past quickly.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

I tell them I am a mean and belligerent drunk and if I drink no one is going to have any fun.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A story on this- just from my last five days.

I am back to work at the restaurant where I worked last year; there are two locations and I am working at the other one, instead of where I was before. It is a tightly knit group from the owners down, and plenty of big drinkers, and overlap between hanging out at either place. I was a very big one, after shifts (and a horrible display at the big T;giving bash last year).

I worked lunch straight through dinner and had lots of opportunities to say "yep, I worked at West Midtown, now I'm here. So excited!" When I asked for my job back, I approached the VP and she, the owner and the GM and laid out my story of recovery. They gave me another chance. They decided I would be best off at the different store.

Yesterday, a few conversations:
"You worked at West Midtown? Why did you leave and come here?" - ans (not, because I am in recovery and there are a lot of reasons to change people/places and things!) "Leah decided it - glad to be here!"

"Oh, I have met you before - I remember one night I was over at West Midtown and we sat at the bar drinking together." response (not, oh God, what was I like, or any embarrassed shrug or face) "I don't do that anymore [light tone of voice]." Enough said.

[Two others talking about drinking when we were all standing around] "Getting drunk is fun sometimes but I feel so much better when I don't. Haven't in the last week and I remembered why it's better." [Look at me kinda like, join in the conv] "It totally is. Even when I wake up tired, I'm not that kind of tired, you know?"

I know I'm going to keep getting these kind of questions and have these situations such as with the bartender come up. That's ok. People really don't care and I bet their memories of my drinking will dim as I am calm, sober, present and just- another person there.
Old 08-01-2016, 04:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

I don't drink always works for me if pressed I just reiterate my previous sentence
Old 08-01-2016, 04:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

I just tell them the truth. I decided to quit drinking and get healthy. If pressed further then I say I am on a diet and exercise regime and alcohol is not a part of my diet.

I imagine as time goes by... I would reply as Soberwolf.

With "I don't drink" .

Cannot wait to say that!
Old 08-01-2016, 05:02 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm away from home at the moment, but when I go home, and any of my friends ask me why I am not drinking, when I respond with "I don't drink anymore", they will reply with, "Thank god!"

Strangers, well I will probably just tell them its a life choice.
Old 08-01-2016, 05:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

If you work in a field that involves customer dinners or bar outings, a politically correct rehearsed response can help. There are some new acquaintances who will not understand a teetotaler. In some cases for business you may be judged. I know others don't agree with me, but I have used lines like "I'm on a health kick" or "I'm on medication" or "I'm taking a break from drinking." Some people I have met just don't understand complete abstention and I've had lengthy probings into my personal decision.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:06 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
totfit

Really, most don't ask, unless they knew one to drink a lot. If that the case it is a lot of times self-evident. Personally, I think, "alcohol just doesn't agree with me any more, or does not agree with me", should be enough and totally true. Should not have to say more unless you want.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can't drink with the medication I'm on.

I've developed and allergy to cheap wine.

It's just not setting well with me these days.

I'm on the 30 day challenge...A lot of people are claiming much clearer thinking and better performance. <---Also a lot of people on this challenge extend it because of how great they feel. go figure.
Old 08-01-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I just say its a personal choice. No one needs to know anything else. My close friends and family know.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:39 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I tell people "I've been there, done that." They usually get the drift. If there are more questions after that, I just honestly say it was causing problems so I thought it was better to hang it up.