Notices

Day 8, ain't great

Old 07-31-2016, 08:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8, ain't great

Nausea, fatigue, lack of motivation, grumpiness. Today was the first day since I quit drinking 8 days ago that my addiction has been playing serious jedi mind tricks. I'm through the thick of detox (I think?) but this mental stuff might be just as challenging as the headaches, insomnia, and cravings. I've been exercising every day, eating a healthy diet, doing gratitude lists, and writing about my drinking (how it all started, what's kept it going, what my triggers are, etc.). When I feel I can tolerate groups of people again, I'd like to check out some meetings or meditation spaces.

I'm actually very grateful to have 8 days. Trying to find some kind of balance between keeping things simple (just staying sober is everything) and trying also to be productive, as that reduces anxiety and helps me to feel that I'm actually getting better. Anybody out there have insights you'd like to share about finding balance in early sobriety? I've been lurking here for years and am happy to have found this place.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Reinvented - 8 days is great

to be honest it was all I could do the first 30 days not to drink...thinking about balance came later.

I still find to do lists are useful...I keep the expectations reasonable according to how I'm feeling that day - I often find I get today and tomorrows jobs done too

I try to have me time everyday - whether it's a TV show, playing or listening to music, a ride around the block...whatever relaxes me a little is good

D
Old 07-31-2016, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Welcome, reinvented! Congratulations on eight days!

I would say it would be a good idea to get to a meeting sooner rather than later. And keep reading and posting here!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee. That really helps, to know that it's okay not to do much the first month. I like lists, too. I get weirdly happy when I can check items off.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks, Coldfusion! I've picked out a meeting I'd like to visit -- it's a group I attended years ago. Having anxiety about being around people but every day is a new day and I already feel so much better than I did a week ago.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great job on 8 days! The first few weeks of sobriety to plan out every moment of the time I would normally drink, as time has gone on I haven't needed to do that.

I also felt like I was in a fog the first few weeks, once that fog lifted I felt like I could really work on my recovery. The biggest thing for me has been trying to live in the present. I am guilty of dwelling on the past, and worrying about the future. I know that neither of these things are healthy/helpful.

Looking forward to seeing you on SR!!
Old 07-31-2016, 08:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Delilah1 View Post
Great job on 8 days! The first few weeks of sobriety to plan out every moment of the time I would normally drink, as time has gone on I haven't needed to do that.

I also felt like I was in a fog the first few weeks, once that fog lifted I felt like I could really work on my recovery. The biggest thing for me has been trying to live in the present. I am guilty of dwelling on the past, and worrying about the future. I know that neither of these things are healthy/helpful.

Looking forward to seeing you on SR!!
Hey, Delilah! Structuring the time I would normally drink is a really good idea. Come sundown I get pretty twitchy. I feel like I'm in a fog, too. Some days, sharp, and then other days, I don't speak or write as well. But I'm hopeful.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congratulations on day 8 Reinvented

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-recovery.html
Old 08-01-2016, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

But day nine could be just fine.

Forward. Every day you put behind you will make it easier. Today is seven months for me and I have entire days when drinking doesn't even cross my mind, let alone a craving. It's so liberating.

You can do this!
Old 08-01-2016, 06:34 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Reinvented--I am so thankful for the honesty in Dee's post. There are times on SR when he was the only person that could get through to me....

The honest truth is.....congrats on 8 days--that is huge!! But it does take a good month to really start to feel better. Don't get me wrong, each day gets better, but I didn't really feel better at all until around day 14 or so, and 30 was exponentially better than 14, etc etc. I am now on 22 weeks today and I am a totally different person.

I have adopted to-do lists as well, just don't put so many things on there that you can't get them done.

You have found a great place in SR. Keep reading and posting every day. Every day. And BE GOOD TO YOURSELF. You deserve it!!

Lee