Notices

Greetings!

Old 07-31-2016, 02:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings!

Hey everyone out there! This is my first attempt at using the internet for support but not the first time I've chosen to quit drinking....last year I was sober for 6 months before talking myself into drinking again. The difficulty I'm having is that I am able to drink moderately for a while...I've had no more than 3 drinks for the majority of the time I started again..but about once a month I end up getting ****-faced blackout drunk with absolutely no intention of getting to that point...I would say I've known I have been a problem drinker since the age of 16...have been through a lot of the associated issues that alcohol causes, but it hasn't really been until now that I am completely ready to change my lifestyle. I appreciate each and every one of you and am pumped to be embarking on this journey...I am DONE with hangovers and the guilt and anxiety associated with alcohol....tomorrow will be my day one!
Old 07-31-2016, 02:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Hi Kellie! Welcome!
Old 07-31-2016, 03:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi KG nice to meet you
Old 07-31-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. I hope our support can help you get sober for good.
Old 07-31-2016, 03:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Kellie

I think most of us have had the experience of being able to control things for a while...it makes us hope we can make it permanent.

I never was able to - and, if I'm honest, those few times I managed to drink 'like a gentleman' were dwarfed by the thousands of times I could not.

I ended up not being able to control my drinking at all, anytime. That's not a good place to find yourself in.

I'm glad you've joined us - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 07-31-2016, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to meet you kellie! I was exhausted and disgusted when I first came stumbling in here. I knew my life was about to change. Yours will too.
Old 07-31-2016, 04:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks so much everyone! I am excited for a future without alcohol...I am also incredibly nervous as I'm sure you've all experienced when giving up something that has been such a huge crutch for so long. I am hoping you all can tell me about what has been helpful for you during your journey, maybe I just need to be directed towards a certain thread or you can just tell me personally! How do you handle stress, what did you use to put in place of alcohol, etc?

Old 07-31-2016, 05:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Kellie and I'm so glad you found us. This thread will help you:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 07-31-2016, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome. I hope you find everything you're looking for here. This is a Great place for support and understanding. Wishing you the best tonight.
Old 07-31-2016, 05:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Kellie.

As a fellow blackout drinker, let me share something I have listened to every day since I found it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJXNmvDvXn4

It's really been a help to me so far. I listen to it and I relate to it, sure it makes me laugh, but that's because I am laughing at myself. Every time I listen to it I reaffirm my desire to never, ever, wake up and find out I have done something terrible, yet lack memory of the event.

Good luck.